August 2012 Weddings
Options

What is Most Urgent?

So my fiance and I are getting married in August, got engaged in November.  We have done a few things, picked a venue, and have been trying to get a contract worked out with a caterer.  However, I am getting married 250miles from where we live (Pittsburgh) and I am also in grad school so I am swamped with assignments (I am also still working).  I am trying to figure out what I need to do urgently for the wedding, and what can wait until early May when the semester ends and I'll have more time to focus on wedding stuff.  We have a photographer we are booking, and I know I need to buy my dress soon.  Anything else that I absolutely need to do before May?
PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image

Re: What is Most Urgent?

• Options
    I would say the most urgent things are:
    Ceremony Venue
    Officiant
    Reception Venue
    Caterer (if different from reception)
    Photographer
    Your dress

Things I think you could put off that you'll want to do right away in May:
    Bridesmaid dresses
    DJ/Ceremony music
    Flowers
    Cake
    Invitations/Guest List

Things you can definitely do in the summer:
    Centerpieces
    Favors
    Decorations
    Book honeymoon
    Hotel for wedding night
    Transportation

That's just my opinion!
  • Options
    I agree with RunGirl!

Most important are the venues (ceremony, reception, rehearsal dinner), officiant, photographer, and your dress (maybe your shoes too).

With BM dresses/tuxes, you can be browsing pictures while in school so that it is easier when you are ready to go shopping in May (be quick in May though so your girls have time to get the dresses back).

Same thing with DJs, you can be browsing information about them (looking at websites, some give quotes off their websites if you plug in your information), and have your FI maybe do this to keep some stress off of you?

If you are having your ceremony at a busy location, I may do a hotel block and book your room earlier, as availability issues may come up!  JMO, I blocked my rooms in January because the towns by my ceremony location can be tourist traps in August!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I def. would go onto your local board as well. They will be helpful.
    Because in my region the things that book up quickly are venues, church, officiant, and DJ

things like the florist and photographer can wait

it all varies on your region as to what is popular
    www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
    167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image
  • Options
    The things I did first were reception venue, photographer, band, dress, ceremony venue, and catering. I've also gotten my flowers done but those were a specialty item (dried flowers.) We're still working on our cake and our caterer takes care of almost all of our rentals (got a quote for a tent yesterday!) I'd say you still have a lot of time to do a lot of things- although if you're sending out STDs you're going to want to get on those ASAP. A lot of things can be done via email I've found out (I'm getting married about an hour away from where we live and I don't have a car so I've had a lot of correspondence over the past few months .) If you're having a wedding party, you might want to think about narrowing that down by April  or May if you think they're going to need to order dresses- the whole selection process could take some time I imagine. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I agree with everyone above and want to emphasize the dress!  I didn't realize how long it would take to order and get the dress in, but of course that depends on what dress you end up with.  I ordered a Maggie Sottero on February 11th, and it won't be in until the 3rd week of July!  Luckily my wedding date is end of August, but that is cutting it close.  I'm hoping it gets in early so I don't stress about alterations.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    I agree with PPs and would add a DJ to the "right now" list because many DJs are already getting booked for August and there are only so many really good ones to go around.
    Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 since September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. photo 455d4bc3-3623-4c16-8dd1-1fbc7e99e147.jpg BabyFruit Ticker My BFP Chart
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2012-weddings_what-is-most-urgent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1fb748ee-7a4e-40eb-b4b4-e553486f4cacDiscussion:34b36b74-5de2-471a-b9ea-b4908fad9c9cPost:5295b3b8-8afd-4bc2-8f64-49bdc3681cf0">Re: What is Most Urgent?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with PPs and would add a DJ to the "right now" list because many DJs are already getting booked for August and there are only so many really good ones to go around.
    Posted by Ajoyd[/QUOTE]
    Good advice, but we aren't planning on hiring a DJ.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2012-weddings_what-is-most-urgent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1fb748ee-7a4e-40eb-b4b4-e553486f4cacDiscussion:34b36b74-5de2-471a-b9ea-b4908fad9c9cPost:c0aeed3c-638c-4615-866d-c9ca88756944">Re: What is Most Urgent?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would say the most urgent things are: Ceremony Venue Officiant Reception Venue Caterer (if different from reception) Photographer Your dress Things I think you could put off that you'll want to do right away in May: Bridesmaid dresses DJ/Ceremony music Flowers Cake Invitations/Guest List Things you can definitely do in the summer: Centerpieces Favors Decorations Book honeymoon Hotel for wedding night Transportation That's just my opinion!
    Posted by rungirl12[/QUOTE]
    This was helpful.  I have actually already booked the ceremony/reception site, asked a friend to be our officiant, and we are trying to choose a photographer. 
  • Options
    You could also ask your bridesmaids to start looking for dresses and share with you what they have found.  You could also ask the FI to browse the tux's. This could also relieve from some stress so that you're not dealing with alot in May.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would agree with all the above, but would also like to stress the DRESSES!!! You will be limited to what brands/designers/gowns you can purchase because of how long it takes to get the dress ordered, made and shipped.  Not just yours, but the BM's and MOH/MOG, too!  I hear you about stress - I'm in graduate school now, too, on top of a full-time career.... I wish you luck <3  
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards