Texas-San Antonio

BIG Family...Small Budget...

So, our guest list with as many cuts as we can do without being rude to family and close friends still comes out to about 165 people total (children included.) My question is for other brides here in SA with a budget under $10,000: How did you handle catering? My fiance's family rarely RSVPs to anything. We both want to have a nice caterer and not get brisket from Bill Miller's like you see at every other low budget wedding. We know not every single person on the guest list will go, but we're scared to order less meals in case everyone actually shows up, but we also don't want to pay good money for a meal for guests that might not show up. Did anyone else find themselves in this predicament and how did you handle it?

Re: BIG Family...Small Budget...

• DeadUtopiaDeadUtopia member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Or maybe if you had a good experience with a reasonably priced caterer, let me know too!! Thanks in advance for your help!
  • edited December 2011
    I have a guestlist of 150, and my budget is $8,000. Admittedly we are more of an 'off beat' couple, and we ended up doing Freebirds for catering. They have multiple choices from pre-rolled to full 'bar' (which is about $12.5 per person). This includes chips and salsa and water and tea.

I do know that some places do have options for about $10 a person, but it depends on what you are looking at for food. Sit down, buffet, etc. I hope that helps at least alittle bit. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    When we put down how many people are attending, we put in for about 100. From my understanding for catering they will bring more than your inital count, but for 165 I would probably say your safe with 100-130. You should always ask your caterer what they think, they probably have some experience in people not RSVPing.
  • edited December 2011
    Usually caterers will let you estimate about how many, and 2 weeks out they do a final count with you. By then you should know who is coming. :)
  • edited December 2011
    May I suggest using a venue that does everything. A couple places me and my fiance looked into covered floral, food, linens everything! They were a one stop shop, a couple included, The Emporium, with all decor, catering, and ceremony, it was under 10K. However, everyones estimate will vary. We settled with Hacienda Santa Maria, they provide everything as well, linens, centerpieces, and their restaurant, Picante Grill cater. Needless to say Picante Grill is incredible. The food we chose is awesome! We are having a choice of either chicken or beef all for under 6K. I highly suggest you try to find a venue that provides everything you can really save money. And Gonzalo of Picante Grill/Hacienda Santa Maria, is super awesome to work with!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • rammo01rammo01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out - Spring Hill Event Center. They include a lot and the meals are reasonable priced.
  • edited December 2011
    Try Feedback catering.. They have some great price options and not bill millers expierence
  • edited December 2011
    we are doing adobe verde. chicken and beef fajitas . chips and salsa. water and tea. about 11 a person
  • DeadUtopiaDeadUtopia member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who did you hire to cater? That's a really good price...:)
  • edited December 2011
    Bill Millers for us!!!! We are at 200 people with a 10k budget. We're having our wedding at the Serengeti Resort and wanted BBQ, so to have it not look "low budget" we're skipping the styrofoam and cheap utensil for something that looks a little nicer. I don't know about you but I'd much rather pay 5$ as appossed to 15$ for other BBQ catering.
  • edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are using Zios Italian. for us its about $856 for 120 people including tax, delivery fee, AND 3 servers! w00t
    *~*naomi*~*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards