South Asian Weddings

Affordable Mandap in NYC?

Hi everyone,

I am having my Hindu ceremony at the same restaurant where we are having our reception.  Does anyone have suggestions about how to get a mandap inexpensively?  There are bunch of mandap companies in NJ or Long Island, but they are charging at least $1500.  We are on a tight budget, so I appreciate any ideas.  I am not very good at DIY projects, otherwise I would try to make one  mysef.

Thanks!

Re: Affordable Mandap in NYC?

• kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $1500 for a mandap!  What are these people crazy?

You might not be good with DIY mandap, but it's not complicated at all!  It's PVC piping - like you get at Home Depot or Lowes, and the fabric of your choice

OR:
    Have you checked with temples to see if you are able to rent their mandap for a small fee for your wedding?

OR:

Did you get to check out pricing here?
    http://www.indianweddingsite.com/vendors/vendorslist.php?selected_state=32&selected_category=13

http://www.indianweddingsite.com/vendors/vendorslist.php?selected_state=30&selected_category=13

Hope that helps!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • edited December 2011
    Is that the price for the most simple mandap that they offer? I know it sounds high, but at the same time, there is a lot of labor involved by multiple people that causes the costs to rise.

If you're not very crafty, there is always the option of re-purposing a garden gazebo into a mandap. I've heard of several brides that have done this and I think that HisBelovedOne on this board is planning on doing just that. You just wouldn't put the canopy on the gazebo and then decorate the structure with some flowers from your florist.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • mbuhpathimbuhpathi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you checked into florists and decor of non-hindu vendors? sometimes they are enthusiastic about taking on the challenge at a lower price just because it is something different.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards