Favors

Charity/Organization Favors

In lieu of traditional favors my FI and I have decided to donate money on our guests behalf to charities/foundations. My question is how do I go about letting the guests know that there was a donation made on their behalf and how not to make people feel uncomfortable about it.
I thought of getting sterling silver picture frames and making an insert that read "A donation to xyz has been made on your behalf". My only concerns are 1) it will clutter the tables 2) It may not look good on the tables and having a bunch of picture frames on another table sounds silly 3) I dont want to bring up a sore subject accidently (My mother/grandmother passed from Ovarian Cancer and one of the organinzations is Ovarian Cancer National Alliance).

Any suggestions or ideas?
image 190 Invitations mailed
image 118 Are ready to party!
image 12 Are missing out
image 60 Are going to make me call them
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Charity/Organization Favors

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Please read the post above this one that talks about charity donations as "favors".  They are not favors.  Make your donation.  That's a wonderful thing.  But why do you have to announce to your guests that you've made a donation? 

I think it's inappropriate to donate anything "in your guests' names".  Let them make donations to charities that are important to them.  You make donations to charities that are important to you. 

Just leave your wedding out of it. 
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the PP. 

Also, are you making separate donations in the name of each one of your guests? If not, you are technically lying by saying that you are making donations on their behalf. 

The truth behind a well laced dress
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Please read all the stickies at the top of the page before you post on a board.

Ditto PPs.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited December 2011
    I had planned on making a donation in the family/couples name to the charity. But I completely see why that could be innapropriate now, it's always nice to have a different perspective on things!
    image 190 Invitations mailed
    image 118 Are ready to party!
    image 12 Are missing out
    image 60 Are going to make me call them
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mgietler76mgietler76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_charityorganization-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:b90daf59-3648-40f9-8b5d-820d13fa5f3ePost:c41555ea-dced-49c8-aa6c-0f0fee5379a6">Re: Charity/Organization Favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had planned on making a donation in the family/couples name to the charity. But I completely see why that could be innapropriate now, it's always nice to have a different perspective on things!
    Posted by Mkelley1[/QUOTE]

Well isn't that a refreshing response? Nice to see some people actually do take good advice.
  • edited December 2011
    We are... kind of... doing a donation as part of our favour, but not in the way you'd think. Our wedding is somewhat outside, in Texas, in December. The Canadians won't find it cold, but the Americans might. So we're going to get blankets for everyone - inexpensive polar fleece ones. If people want to use them, great! if they want to take them, fantastic! if they *don't*, or if any are left over, we're going to take them to a shelter group in toronto near where a friend of mine lives, and donate them.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_charityorganization-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:b90daf59-3648-40f9-8b5d-820d13fa5f3ePost:4f5f21e4-a1f4-4d43-b66b-331a94ac1ffa">Re: Charity/Organization Favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are... kind of... doing a donation as part of our favour, but not in the way you'd think. Our wedding is somewhat outside, in Texas, in December. The Canadians won't find it cold, but the Americans might. So we're going to get blankets for everyone - inexpensive polar fleece ones. If people want to use them, great! if they want to take them, fantastic! if they *don't*, or if any are left over, we're going to take them to a shelter group in toronto near where a friend of mine lives, and donate them.
    Posted by smokyhills[/QUOTE]

<div>nice idea!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards