Wedding Etiquette Forum

Seating arrangements

I'm working on my seating chart, and I was planning on sitting my parents and in laws at different tables. one of my BMs told me that it's rude to do that. I figured that our parents would prefer to be with their own family or friends that they don't see very often. What did/are you going to do?

Re: Seating arrangements

• It's definitely not rude - I don't think I've ever been to a wedding where all of the parents shared a table.  Usually each set of parents hosts their own table, at least in my experience.  Your friend is just plain incorrect.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_seating-arrangements-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:87169be4-fd37-4f50-b2e2-c52851dfb88aPost:3bd0f0ce-2d93-4318-b96a-e5a8d1d7f9d6">Re: Seating arrangements</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's definitely not rude - I don't think I've ever been to a wedding where all of the parents shared a table.  Usually each set of parents hosts their own table, at least in my experience.  Your friend is just plain incorrect.
    Posted by StephBeanWed61502[/QUOTE]

<div>This. I also have to worry about divorced parents at my wedding each parent is getting their own table. </div>
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Ditto PPs. I've never seen both sets of parents at the same table.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MIL sat with a whole table of her friends, while my parents sat with one of my uncles and his kids.  I split up all of my "immediate" family (parents, brother, grandparents) so that they could be with some more distant relatives they dont see often, and it worked really well.
  • I don't think that it's rude to split them up. I am not sitting FI's parents with mine. As a mtter of fact his family will sit with each other and my familywith mine. They can mingle if they choose but I don't want them to feel like they have to sit with people they ahrdely know.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Not rude at all.  Mine aren't sitting together, never really thought about putting them together.  They really don't know each other all they well since they live far apart.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bongebonge member
    First Comment
    I agree that it is not rude too. that seems to be the concensus so i don't see where your friend got her information. 

My parents are divorced, my mom's table will have her childhood friends. 
    My dad's table will have his family & childhood friend. 
    His parents table will have his grandma (my mom does NOT want her family sitting with her) & some other family with them. 
    230 image Invited
    154 image Are ready to party
    56 image Missing out
    20 image Can't find the mailbox (tick tock)

RSVP Date: 6/1/2012
  • My mom asked outright to not be at the same table as my future in-laws, simply because she wants to sit with the rest of our family.
  • Personally,  I don't see the point in even doing assigned seating.  It feels very uptight and stressfull.  By not doing seating arrangements, everybody can simply sit where they want...less stress for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards