Kentucky

FKS

Hiya!  What's the latest and greatest with your planning?  Anything super fun going on? 

I've finally figured out how to find the grocery here, but I couldn't drive to my office for anything.  Thank god for the T.  I wouldn't have a clue where to park! 
DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
Mom to J: 2011
Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485

Re: FKS

• FKSFKS
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!! :) Nothing extremely exciting to report. We called a bunch of limo companies last weekend and played "how low can you go" haha.  We got our hotel rooms blocked with the Hampton Inn downtown.  I think those are the only new things I have to report.  I am taking a trip home at the end of October to look at (and hopefully order) bridesmaid dresses, so I'll let you know how that turns out! The hardest part about that seems to be finding an affordable dress in the color I'm picturing in my head.

Ugh, I hear ya on the driving!  I can't drive in NYC for anything.  As much as I don't like the subway, it's a nice alternative to driving in this traffic. How are you liking the new environment in general?  The northeast is pretty different from home right??  We're in the same boat there :)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What color are you going for? 

In some ways the environment is really different, and in others - pretty similar.  I'm tired of people commenting on how much better it must be up here.  Kentucky's pretty awesome, folks.  The accent is obviously really different.  And I still think I sound normal and they all sound weird.  :D 

They all think I'm deficient for preferring college sports to the pros.  And I think they're nuts for living in such tiny houses.

But, I don't think people are inherently nicer at home and meaner here.  I just think we talk more at home.  I dunno - we'll see when it gets to be January.  They might be meaner then because of the cold.  :D
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • FKSFKS
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE that we have all of this in common and someone else understands what I'm going through!  Haha.  I think Kentucky is pretty awesome too.  So awesome, in fact, that my hope is to move back there eventually (after the wedding though).

I've been here for 4+ years and still get told all of the time that I have a southern accent.  I LOVE college sports over pro, and I love the bigger, less expensive houses that KY (and states outside of NE) offer. For what we pay in rent for our tiny studio apartment, we could have a nice 3 BR house in Louisville.  It drives me batty sometimes :)

I'm happy to hear you are adjusting well to the move though!  Sounds like you are doing much better than I did at first. I'm sure your DH is happy to be back home too :)

As far as colors, I'm going for a version of pink, gold and ivory.  The hardest part has been finding the right shade of pink because what I have in mind is very hard to describe - it's not salmon or coral, but almost like an antique-pink.  It looks pretty vintage I think, if that makes any sense.  My sister works at a bridal boutique and she's sending me a bunch of swatches that she thinks are close to what I'm looking for, so I'm anxious to get those in the mail!
  • squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know what you're talking about, color-wise.  I think it's the fabric that might be the "problem".  The same color on different fabrics can be really different in terms of effect.  Something with a little sparkle, like organza or taffeta or silk might be good.  I think satin would be really heavy and just shine with no depth of color.  If that makes sense at all. 

On housing. . . our Louisville house was 400 sq feet bigger PLUS it had a 2 car garage.  This house has more yard, but is 2.2x the price.  Infuriates me.  And it has oil heat, which sucks BIG TIME.  Gross.  And expensive. 

I don't think we'll ever move back, but we'll go visit a lot.  We might move elsewhere in NE, though.  Just depends on if I continue to have an office in town that I have to go to, or if I'm working remotely, or find something alltogether different.

How'd you end up in NYC in the first place?
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• FKSFKS
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's a good point about the fabric.  I'll definitely have to take this into consideration when dress shopping.

The cost of living increase can definitely be infuriating.  It's all about "location" though I suppose. Your property value is probably a lot higher now :)  I can't say I've ever even heard of oil heat, but it doesn't sound very pleasant.  At least you have a bigger yard now, which is nice! 

When I was getting ready to graduate college, one of my professors told me about a couple of alumni that had started a company in New York and were looking to make their first hire, and he recommended me for the posiition. I ended up getting the job and moving here right after graduation, which is very unlike me (or was at the time) because I didn't know anyone here. I planned on staying for a year and moving back home, but I met FI six months in so I've been here ever since!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards