Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake and Punch Reception

My fiance and I are on a tight budget and have decided to have a cake and punch reception in a local park so we can include friends in our special day rather than only our very large family. When I was a little girl I remember going to weddings where cake and punch, nuts and mints were served in the church basement.... I'd like something a little more sophisticated but am not sure what to serve along with the cake. Also looking for beverage ideas.... I'm not really into the sherbet-with-ginger-ale kind of punch. A friend is making my cake so I'm thinking I won't be hiring a full-service caterer but I'm stumped about who'll serve the cake. I don't like the idea of asking friends to serve as a consolation prize for not being chosen as bridesmaids. Any ideas?

Re: Cake and Punch Reception

• Linz10882Linz10882 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm, not so sure what could be served with the cake (maybe other small desserts??), but here are a few beverage ideas:
    -Flavored lemonade (raspberry, strawberry, etc.)
    -Iced tea and flavored iced tea (something sophisticated like passionfruit?).....simply brew flavored tea bags and serve the tea in nice glass jars/pitchers
    -Italian sodas (soda water + a little cream or half & half + flavored syrup + ice)

Good luck!! :)
  • edited December 2011
    In the south it was nuts, mints, fruit trays, cheese wafers, and ham biscuits...and of course coffee, sweet tea and punch.  There are some really excellent punch recipies that don't include sherbert that matches the bridesmaids dresses!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Could you hire someone to cut the cake?  Maybe someone who can also help with setting up and cleaning up?  You really shouldn't ask a guest to cut all that cake if the wedding includes more than 10-20 guests.
  • AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

LOL you described many many weddings I went to as a kid - including my oldest sister's first wedding!  I forgot about the ginger ale with sherbert blobs floating in it til now though.

Ask a family member to cut the cake - someone may offer, one of my FSIL's has already said she will cut my cake.

Some suggestions:

Fruit/cheese/cracker trays

Mini sandwiches - rolls with ham/turkey/roast beef - condiments on side in squeeze bottles

Dessert/cookie tray or pastry tray - for those who do not like or want cake

Fresh mixed vegetable trays

Any of the above you can either DIY or purchase from a local deli

Serve Iced Tea,Lemonade, Sodas (2 Liter Bottles are cheaper than cans) have a cooler exclusively for ice, Coffee (if your area has outlets - borrow a pot from a local church?)

HTH

Anniversary
  • zetamomof2zetamomof2 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! GREAT ideas!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards