South Carolina-Charleston

Food...

So I am planning a wedding fast and hopefully at a decent price. Does anyone know of any caterers that aren't ridiculous in price...and also have fairly normal food? I don't want hors d'oeuvre type food. :) Thanks!

Re: Food...

• brooks55brooks55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How fast is 'fast', 2 weeks, 2 months???
    What do you consider "not ridiculous' in price?
    What is your budget?
    What do you call 'normal' food?
    Where are you having the reception - do they require you to use approved caterers?
    If you don't want heavy hors doeuvres, are you wanting plated dinners? Buffet dinner?

Can't offer any help unless I know more of what you're actually looking for.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_food?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:600Discussion:c17e28b5-eb4f-4013-9ab7-cd59df72d4f3Post:9c34b4ab-ff22-4ed3-b0f8-b26b5d140252">Re: Food...</a>:
    [QUOTE]How fast is 'fast', 2 weeks, 2 months??? What do you consider "not ridiculous' in price? What is your budget? What do you call 'normal' food? Where are you having the reception - do they require you to use approved caterers? If you don't want heavy hors doeuvres, are you wanting plated dinners? Buffet dinner? Can't offer any help unless I know more of what you're actually looking for.
    Posted by brooks55[/QUOTE]

It's in 2.5 months. I would love less than $30 a person if possible ha. Normal food is chicken, beef, pulled pork, macaroni ect. Not normal would be sushi, anything that looks like it would be served in a fancy resturant. Also oddly enough for living in Charleston...we don't like seafood of any kind. I know its weird but I only moved here 6 months ago :) Magnolia plantation has a list of approved caterers however they do allow other places if I get pre approval. So I am just looking into my options.  I want buffet or family style.
  • Court579atuscCourt579atusc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Duvall Catering, http://duvallevents.com. They are doing our rehearsal dinner and seemed very resonable. They also buy local so that should help to keep costs down. Our rehearsal dinner will be buffet style so I know they can do it and have plenty of "regular food" option. They also give you the option to let them handle the bar and even flowers if you want. Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh that was even on the prefered list I just saw their pictures and didn't think there was too much normal food. Thanks! I will look into them some more.
  • brooks55brooks55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're looking for lowcountry style food (bbq, red rice, mac & cheese, bbq chicken) I'd call Charleston Bay Gourmet- they've catered a couple of events I've attended, their food is awesome. They even do a Chicken Bog (chicken stewed in rice with veggies) thats really good.They have a huge BBQ tent at th eMount Pleasant Farmer's Market on Tuesdays starting @ 3:30 on Coleman Blvd in Mt. P.
    Don't know if they have bar service though.

Another option is Cafe Catering in Mount Pleasant- theyre the catering division of Charleston Cafe - their food runs the gamut and its all really really good!!!  Fried Green Tomatoe BLT's are to die for, and their Pimento Cheese is phenom!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ScMOBScMOB member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I've said it before  Royal Grand Catering is the BEST!!!  Curtis could do anything you asked I'm sure!!!
  • edited December 2011
    We are using Duvall Catering after looking at about 6 or 7 others.  From what i've heard from others on here that are on of the best in the area!!

Good Luck!!
  • Purple&7Purple&7 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went with Southern Occassions Catering.  They had the best food we tasted and the price wasn't bad either.
  • edited December 2011
    We have On The Fly. You pick pretty much what you want. We have passed hor douves, but thats just for the cocktail hour. Then its a buffet with beef tenderloin, a mash potatoes, and green beans (we are very simple people). The price is nice too. Trust me. 
  • edited December 2011
    I will also throw in a vote for Duvall.  They are excellent at taking "normal" food up a notch.  They always cater my company's holiday parties, and in the past we've had things like a mashed potato station (delicious mashed potatoes with all kinds of toppings), and for this year they are trying to sell us on a upscale grilled cheese and tomato soup station, and we've always had great raves over their carved beef and chicken dishes.  They can take the normal food that you want and add some very tasty touches!  They are also very professional, easy to deal with, and reasonably priced.
  • edited December 2011
    I second southern occasions! Good price & very easy to work with.  We are having pulled pork bbq, chicken, southern style mac& chesse, etc & it all tasted great & they will work w/you if you have a certain price you are looking at. good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards