Wedding Etiquette Forum

Decorating the Ceiling

I've tried googling this, but I'm not coming up with much that I like. The ceiling in our living room is kind of blah. It's yellow, and the walls are orange, so while it's very bright and cheery in there, it's all very... solid, especially since there is no overhead light. I was thinking of painting a pattern on the ceiling, but we have a popcorn ceiling and I'm not sure how clear I could get lines to be (also thought about a border but canned it for the same reason). I don't really want to change the ceiling all together (i.e. installing tiles), but I do want to dress it up a bit. We thought about hanging lanterns in some of the corners, but can't find much that would really have an impact without really cutting into the living space. Anyone have any ideas? Anyone ever decorated their ceiling?

Re: Decorating the Ceiling

• I am completely clueless about home renovations, but can you somehow scrape the popcorn off the ceiling and make it smooth before you paint?

But in general, I think a painted ceiling would look....odd.  But again, I have no sense for this kind of stuff. 
  • I don't think with that much texture you'd be able to get any straight lines at all. It's possible to scrape it, but it's very time consuming to do so.

I like your lantern idea -- would there be a way you could create a large shade (HGTV and DIY channel probably have a zillion ideas) and do a corded light or even have something installed? Our ceilings are bare, but we have lots of stuff on the walls, so I don't really notice. Maybe hang three lanterns on chains in varying length in a corner?

PIP a photo of your living room -- it might help get more ideas.
    planning

• Definitely don't try a pattern on the popcorn ceiling, it wont work.
    Has it been painted recently? Sometimes just a fresh coat of paint does it..
    What about installing a light fixture in the center or even a fake one?
    Do you have a picture?
  • Would it be possible for you to get a bolt of fabric and do some simple draping to hide the popcorn and give the ceiling a softer feel?

Here are two pictures I found through Google (please ignore the fact that one is a baby's room):
    http://www.onesourceweddings.net/store/images/Full-View-Shelbyville-Armor.jpg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Ar1H8g5Vtcs/SYoQgQkKd1I/AAAAAAAAAY8/aXW2aED7hH8/s400/get-attachment.aspx.jpeg

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You could even sponge paint the ceiling with a muted grey color with a blue undertone to contrast the color of the orange and yellow. It would be a nice way to change it up a bit.
    I iz not Bridezilla.imageI iz Veloceraptor!

FOR SALE!!.

• Thanks everyone for the responses! I ended up going to bed a bit early last night so sorry I didn't respond! The paint is all fresh, we painted the ceiling yellow and the walls orange when we moved in, just finished it a week or two ago. I might look into groupings of lanterns, that could add some interest without having to find huge lanterns.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards