Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Officially a DW bride!

So I decided to pull the trigger and officially canceled all the hometown wedding plans and I am working with Carey from Beach Bum Vacations- WOO HOO! :)

She suggested the Ocean Maya Royale, has anyone ever been there or come across it in their search for a venue? I've read a ton on this page, but haven't come across it.
I still haven't figured out the legalities or how exactly this will work with us being Catholic, but I can't be the first Catholic bride to do a destination wedding so I'm sure there is a way to work that out.

So excited to be here and iron out all the details!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Officially a DW bride!

• Options
    breanessbreaness member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2011
    Woohoo! Congratulations! That's so exciting. We're getting married in Hawaii, and I'm not religious, so I'm no help AT ALL with any of your questions, but I'm sure someone here can help out :)

ETA: Is October 8th still your date? (I deduced from your ticker since you're two days ahead of me)
  • Options
    qtpie11qtpie11 member
    First Comment
    Congrats! Good luck with your DW planning and welcome to the BEST board ever! The ladies on here are nothing short of amazing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    JessiiJJessiiJ member
    First Comment
    Congrats and welcome to minimal stress planning!! LOL
    As for your resort, I have no clue. I've never travelled before. I would suggest checking out trip Advisor though. 
    I would definitely talk to Carey about your religion questions. Maybe your church has a sister church or knows of a church down there and you can request them to officiate, if that is your cause for concern.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    Congrats! Can't wait to hear all about your plans :)
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    sld0618sld0618 member
    First Comment
    I don't have any info on it, but congrats on changing and you won't regret it!  Welcome to the board girlfriend...post often :)
  • Options
    CONGRATS!!!

I'm Catholic and here's what I've found out so far....

From what I understand, a Cathloic priest will not marry you outside or near the water for some reason.... So, I believe you would have to go to a Catholic church or at least somewhere inside, even for just a symbolic ceremony.  This was pretty devastating to us b/c we REALLY wanted to get married overlooking the water.  In all honesty, the priest would be more for my parents.  But, since the Catholic church wouldn't do the ceremony outside like we wanted, we're just going to use a minister and have a non-denominational ceremony.

If you did want a wedding on the beach, I would recommend looking into getting legally married in the Catholic church before you leave, and having a symbolic ceremony in Mexico.  None of your guests have to know!

I will say though that I don't know much about Mexico, but it's obviously a very Catholic country so I'm sure the WC at the resort can help ya out!

Good luck and happy planning!!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    WAhoo! Happy destination planning :)
  • Options
    Congrats!! You are going to LOVE it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats!!!!  Happy Planning!  I'm sure you will not regret the decision :-)
    Jen's Bio ~ Updated 4/30/2012
    The day I married my best friend!

Anniversary
  • Options
    LesleaBLesleaB member
    First Comment

Woohoo! Let the planning begin!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    risa1818risa1818 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    Welcome!!

I know that the Royal Resorts offer a Catholic wedding option. The one in Cancun has a beautiful seaside chapel and everything. Definitely look into those! Brandi, one of our DW brides ( starfishbride5)  just had her wedding there so maybe she can give you some insight to it.

Happy planning and can't wait to hear all about your plans!
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    Yay!  Glad to have you!  Look forward to hearing all about your big day!
  • Options

Congratulations! It was really one of the best ideas we ever had, and I'm so excited you chose to use BBV! I have Erin and she has been amazing to work with.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Welcome to the dark side!  lol  I have yet to hear a DW bride say that she regrets having a DW, and hopefully you'll feel the same when you're a Mrs.

I agree with the others - talk to Carey and see if she can find you a Catholic option for your wedding.  And if not, you can always do the quick version of the wedding ceremony either before or after your DW to "make it legal" in the chruch's eyes.  Most brides who have to make it legal at home use their DW wedding date as their REAL anniversary date anyway.  Wink
  • Options
    Congrats!  I'm not sure about your resort but when I was at Moon Palace in Cancun last year my room faced right out to the Catholic wedding gazebo and I saw about 4 Catholic ceremonies.  I know that gazebo is enclosed where the rest of them are open, but that was really the only difference.  You can still see the water.  So if Royale also offers Catholic ceremonies I'm sure they are something like that.  You can ask your TA to see pictures of the Catholic site so you can get an idea if it interests you.  Otherwise, what I would actually do is have a symbolic ceremony in Mexico first and then have a Catholic blessing when you get home (or do it the other way around).  

Janine & Cody | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Feb. 28th, 2012

Surprise BFP | Baby Due Late July/Early August 2013

Pregnancy Ticker

I believe in a lot of things. I believe in fresh tennis balls, the healing power of bunnies, and that the novels of Susan Sontag are something I'll never read. In fact, I don't even know who Susan Sontag is. What is she... like... a painter? I believe in Crystal Lite because I believe in ME. I believe in the movies of Val Kilmer, though these days it ain't so easy. I believe in Darren Sproles, the word "dabble", the first season of "Silk Stockings", and big, warm, moist, gooey chocolate chip cookies that melt in your mouth and all over your face.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards