North Carolina

How much to pay an unexperienced photographer>>

I'm hiring a newbie (she did our engagement shoot too) for our wedding. She offered to do it for free so she can have credentials, but it's a destination wedding. What do you think would be a fair price to pay her? Gas will cost $200 to drive there, and the hotel will cost about $200 as well for 2 nights. She will arrive on Friday evening and stay until Sunday morning (wedding on Saturday). I will be receiving a CD with al lthe images on it and the copyrights to reprint everything. So what's a good price?! Minimum will be $500 to cover all the costs. We are also providing the meals for the weekend

Re: How much to pay an unexperienced photographer>>

• alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think since she has offered to do it for free, that the least you can do is pay for her expenses. Wedding photography is expensive because it takes so much time to not just shoot, but also sort and edit all the photos.  It's wonderful that she has offered to do it for free since she wants to build her portfolio. So I think what you are talking about ($500 for all her expenses) is definitely fair and kind of you to offer.
  • edited December 2011
    personally i would never use a vendor for free or just expenses.  at the end of the day when the pictures are horrible they have nothing to lose and no accountability.
  • edited December 2011
    I would pay her a little more than the 500 as a thank you - maybe 600, since you're really getting her for a steal. I do hope that you've looked at your engagement pictures and really like them though, since she is so new to this.

Also - and you may have already done this so excuse me for the assumption - you may want to make sure that you've signed a contract with her as well, stating that she will be doing the wedding for free, you will reimburse costs, you own all rights to reproduce images, etc. It's always good to cover yourself on a legal end so that there is no room for error (i.e. you don't want her to claim two years from now that you did not have rights to the pictures, etc, no matter how ridiculous it seems currently).

Also - and again, you've probably done this, but in case you haven't - you might want to make sure she has a back up plan. Our photographers (who are admittedly one of the few areas where we went over budget rather than under) are part of a forum where they can quickly get a sub in the event that one of them is sick, plus they have doubles of all of their equipment in case something is found to be broken the night before. Sorry if I'm going all mother hen, but I'd hate for you not to have any pictures of your wedding due to a new person's lack of experience!
  • edited December 2011
    I was thinking $1,000 total, but I wasn't sure if that was not enough. Just because photographers in my area start out (without rights) at $2,000. She did make a contract that I do get all the pictures, plus a few edited pictures, and all the rights to reprint the pictures. It's actually not a stupid idea--because a friend of mine was screwed by a professional photographer who never gave her the rights or the prints that she paid for. I LOVE my engagement photos! That's why we decided to go with her for the wedding. She has an "artistic" approach to shooting and it's not just standard "sit and smile" pictures.
  • ecuchikaecuchika member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is very considerate of you to pay for her expensese and also give her extra for her time.  I think that giving this photog anywhere between $600-$1000 would be more than enough. 

EDIT: We are paying almost $2000 on a part time photog...he has about 5 years of experience but he works Mon-Friday.
  • edited December 2011
    I think the $1,000 that you are thinking is more than fair and generous, especially with the fact that she offered to do it for free. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2011 Siggy Challenge: Hair
  • edited December 2011
    I think it really depends on what unexperienced means. Is she new to photography, or new to weddings? Do you have a link or example of her work so we can get an idea of what level she's at? It sounds like a really great deal but you might come to regret it if she's not very good. Like the PP, i would be wary of someone offering to not only do something totally for free but also incur costs to provide you a service.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards