Ohio-Northeast

Moving

Hi Ladies! Hope you all are enjoying snowy Cleveland! Anyways, FI & I are moving into our own apartment next month and I wondered how I go about changing my address (I've never moved in my life). Is there a form I can fill out for everyone? I'm getting married in July, do you think I should just wait to change my address till I change my name for my DL? Thanks! 
IAmPregnant Ticker Anniversary

Re: Moving

• jaylii9jaylii9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go on to the US Postal website and formally change your address. In my opinion there is no reason to wait until you change your name.

You also have to go onto the BMV website to change your license address or else you could be fined if you are ever pulled over.
  • KT82KT82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you go to the DMV they should be able to change your address in the system, but leave your old address on the license. They have done that for me before and the woman there said i'd "be legal in the system" and not have to pay for the new license. I would see if you can just do that.
    And yes go to the post office and fill out a change of address card. That will get your mail forwarded to your new address, but you will still need to notify your bank, credit cards, etc.
  • missmis99missmis99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just moved (again..I have moved about 12 times in my adult life) and they no longer have cards at the post office to change your address.  They tell you to go online and do it.  However, when you go online they will charge you $1.  I thought that this was completely ridiculous, so I went back to the post office and talked to them.  They were able to give me a phone number to call to change it.  You can probably find it on the usps website.  The teller there told me that the $1 was a rip off and he tells everyone not to do it. 
    my read shelf:
    Robin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • jaylii9jaylii9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When you change your address on the BMV website, you do not get a new license. They send you a paper card in the mail with your new address that you are supposed to keep in your glove compartment.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards