Washington-Seattle

Reception location question

I was wondering if this sounds like too much to ask from guests. We are from the Snohomish area, but have family that live all over the state, like Tacoma area and Chehalis. Someone suggested looking at venues further north, even up in Bellingham because they might be cheaper. We did a tiny bit of perusing and found that the advice was true. Further north there are some good venues for great prices. But is it asking too much of people to travel that far north? 

Re: Reception location question

• edited December 2011
    I don't think it's asking much, however it sounds like your family is primarily from the south end so it could be seen by them as asking for quite a bit.  Have you looked south like Chehalis?  Realize that the further out your wedding is, the less people you will likely have who can/want to accept the invite and attend the wedding (which can be good and bad).  Also, if you do plan to have it a ways from most people, I would want to stick to a Saturday wedding, especially Saturday afternoon to accomodate people who will have a 3+ hour drive.
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In the tune of "if you build it, they will come," I say, if they love you and want to be there for your special day, they will make it work.  Just maybe send out your save-the-dates with the city's name on it so they have an idea early on :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    If it were me, I would come, but I would probably get a hotel room for the night. I don't think it is too much to ask people.
    imageimageimage
    Newlywed Athlete Blog
    DD Arrived 10/17/2011
    2012 Races
    Valentine's Day Dash - 5k - 2/11/12 - 34:21
    Kirkland 5k - 5/13/12 - 31:59
  • edited December 2011
    diddo pp.  my wedding is about a 3 hour drive from our family and friends on a Sunday night.  We gave everyone plenty of notice - we sent STD @ 9 months, but talked about it for a long time before that.  Lots of our guests (even non-family!) are taking the next day off and are staying the night. They are your friends and family, they will come no matter the drive.
    Amanda & Joel
    Planning bio: updated 05.11.10
    326 were asked to dance image
    120 will boogie the night away image 110 have two left feet image 96 are couch potatoes image
    RSVP Date: Sept 10, 2010
  • dreamwindsdreamwinds member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It really depends. But since most of your guest list sounds localish? I don't think it's asking too much of people. And save the dates in advance is really good I think. We're gonna send ours soon even though it's a little less than a year.

Our guest list is about 80% out of town, like have to already travel at least 3 hours (and up to 10 hours) to get here that we didn't want to add another hour of ferry or driving travel to have our wedding outside of the Seattle area.
    imageLilypie Maternity tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having the same dilemma.  I would really like to get married &  have the reception in Pt. Townsend, but highly doubt some people would make the commute.
    Photobucket Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    we are thinking we will check out them and if one REALLY catches our eye we will do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards