June 2010 Weddings

Name Change

Okay so they lady who's in the cubicle next to mine got married in October. She hasn't changed her name yet on her driver's license, social, etc yet!!!

When are you all changing yours?

I'm doing all my paperwork, etc. two weeks or so before the wedding so that I won't have to deal with it later.

Also, how are you chaning your name? Dropping middle name? Dropping maiden name? Hypen?

I am keeping my first and middle names and dropping my last name to take his.
"I love you.. even when you're sick and look disgusting!" -Love Actually
My Planning Bio

Re: Name Change

• i'm waiting until after the honeymoon to change anything.

i'm dropping my last name and taking his.
    Anniversary
  • Waiting 'til after honeymoon to make all the changes. Our travel agent says if you change your name on the passport within a year after marriage, it is free. Also, she recommended we take a copy of it on our trip so the place we can stay at knows that we are really newlyweds honeymooning.
    Anniversary
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm filling out all the paper work before the wedding but waiting until after the honeymoon to change it legally. I've heard some really bad stories of girls who changed it like the day after and went right on their honeymoon and had HUGE problems getting in and out of the country.

I'm dropping my last name to take his. So excited to do it too!
  • I am waiting till after the honeymoon because everything is under my maiden name, and our travel agent suggested that I wait till after we get back.  I am keeping my first and middle and taking his last name.  When I got my taxes done this year, they told me to make sure and have it changed on my SS before tax time next year.  If not, it can make things really complicated!  I wonder if your co-worker will have that problem?
  • We're waiting until after the Honeymoon....that way we can enjoy it and relax! I'll be dropping my last name to take his name...and I'm so excited about it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 211 image 143 image 35 image 33 image
  • I am waiting until December.  I have to get a new license on my birthday this year anyway and I don't want to pay for it twice (once to change the name, and once because I turn 25) so I will just wait and change it all then.
    Plus that buys me almost 6 months to decide if I want to keep my name or hyphenate.
  • I am dropping my last name & taking his. I am waiting till after the wedding also. Hopefully after the honeymoon if we take one. My Drivers license expires in sept so I might have to wait an extra month or so to change that.
    Photobucket
  • Like a lot of the ladies have said, I'm dropping my last name and taking his.  I'm going to complete the paperwork before hand, but wait until we get back from our honeymoon to take it in.  I can't wait!
    snowbaby-1
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'll probably prepare the paperwork before the wedding because I have OCD when it comes to things like that but wait to submit it until after the wedding.  I'm dropping my last name to take his and I'm very excited about that.  I have a long last name that is hard for people to pronounce so I'm glad I found someone with half the letters and people don't stumble over it!
  • I'm not changing mine - one, because while I like his last name more than mine, I still don't want to give it up, and two, because changing it seems like such a hassle. :p
    Anniversary
  • In Response to Re: Name Change:
    I'm dropping my last name to take his and I'm very excited about that.  I have a long last name that is hard for people to pronounce so I'm glad I found someone with half the letters and people don't stumble over it!
    Posted by marisaocho
    This is EXACTLY me.
    "I love you.. even when you're sick and look disgusting!" -Love Actually
    My Planning Bio
  • In Response to Re: Name Change:
    In Response to Re: Name Change : This is EXACTLY me.
    Posted by burnsbaby
    LOL!  Glad I'm not the only one.  My coworkers were just talking about my last name and how they hate having to give my work email address over the phone to people.  It's sooooo long and takes forever!
  • I am also waiting until after the HM and taking his last name. We both have trouble with people mispronouncing our names, so I gues that is just life.
  • Changing after the HM.  I've been debating this... but I'll probably drop my last name and take his.  I really would love to keep my maiden name, but I have a cool middle name and don't want to drop that either... Didn't think it would be so tough! 

I have a question... I haven't looked into changing my name on anything other than my social and license (which I'll have to renew 9 months after changing...) What else are you guys changing it on? Are there special forms to fill out at the bank or wherever else? 
  • ZOMG NEVARR lol.
    Bio Update 4.25.10
    image image
    Amanda Williams Photography
  • Dropping my last name right after the honeymoon and taking his.
    Good riddance.
    vacation vacation vacation vacation
    It's almost here! Weeeeeeee!
    my read shelf:
    Jaime's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    43/70 books read

Back in June 2010...
  • Clare13Clare13
    100 Comments
    edited March 2010
    I'm planning on waiting until we get back from the HM and then changing my name.  My plan is to change my last name to a second middle name and then take his last name.  So my name would be

First Name, Middle Name Current Last Name, FI Last Name

I will go by First Name, FI Last Name in most social situations.  The reason I am doing this is because I have many professional publications/networks under my maiden name and do not want to loose these.  They will allow you to have two middle names (my mom does) so I'm actually looking forward to it.  I'm not a fan of hyphenated names so I don't want to go that route. 
  • I am taking (one of) his last names as my last name and making my maiden name my middle. He has a hyphenated name and is dropping one of them!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards