Second Weddings

Groom's Attire...

I have seen multiple posts on the Attire and Accessories board re: the groom's vest and tie color(s) for those wearing tuxedos.  Curiously, it seems ivory is the default color.  Hmmm ...  Is that b/c there is an assumption of "matching" the bride's (default = ivory/white) dress color?

Curious minds ...

Re: Groom's Attire...

• edited December 2011
    Yes...so you know he belongs with the bride  Wink
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have heard and seen this, and although it is de rigor it is not something we are doing.  My FI's boutonniere matches my bouquet and his vest is a dark navy blue background with small periwinkle chevrons in the field.  Neither of us liked the white on white look that was assumed he would be wearing and he didn't want to match his guys exactly so his vest and bow tie are darker and have a slight pattern.

His first marriage he wore an ivory tux to match his now x-W who wore an ivory two piece dress.  Another reason he did not want to match me completely.
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_grooms-attire?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:7766c1db-185b-4336-b99d-e365351c55dbPost:3642a4f3-eaf9-4723-ad94-73d86bab34b3">Re: Groom's Attire...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have heard and seen this, and although it is de rigor it is not something we are doing.  My FI's boutonniere matches my bouquet and his vest is a dark navy blue background with small periwinkle chevrons in the field.  Neither of us liked the white on white look that was assumed he would be wearing and he didn't want to match his guys exactly so his vest and bow tie are darker and have a slight pattern. His first marriage he wore an ivory tux to match his now x-W who wore an ivory two piece dress.  Another reason he did not want to match me completely.
    Posted by MikesAngie[/QUOTE]

Your FI's attire color scheme sounds nice, Angie.  FI is wearing a black tux and, likely, a vest (instead of a cummerbund).  I should make sure he is aware I am not wearing ivory/white.  He knows I have the dress, but in a nod to "tradition," I have not revealed it. 

I think I'd better get my son to go shopping with him -- their ties/vests will need to coordinate, I guess.  But, since my son is <u>my</u> best man, I guess that isn't necessary.  And with that, I may have just hijacked my own post.  ROTF LMAO!!
    edited December 2011
    LOL Good one Lisa!! 

Perhaps let your FI know that you aren't wearing white or ivory so that he doesn't go with a vest and tie or bow-tie in those colors.  

My FI is wearing a black tux as well and decided to purchase his bow-tie and vest instead of rent.

Let us know what he decides to go with... curious minds and all.

• edited December 2011
    Personally I just think ivory looks very classy... I feel like the colored vests etc. are a little old school and I like the ivory or black vest look.  My FI will be wearing a black suit with black vest and tie.
    Photobucket
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_grooms-attire?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:7766c1db-185b-4336-b99d-e365351c55dbPost:bd04a6d4-46b9-4f4a-af19-f6be8be915dc">Re: Groom's Attire...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Personally I just think ivory looks very classy... I feel like the colored vests etc. are a little old school and I like the ivory or black vest look.  My FI will be wearing a black suit with black vest and tie.
    Posted by belletop[/QUOTE]

What color is your dress?
    edited December 2011
    Belletop - Thanks for your opinion. 

I'm not wearing ivory - doesn't go with my skin tone and we didn't like white on white for the groom. He got to pick out his attire because it's his day as well and he likes the deep navy blue of his vest.
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_grooms-attire?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:7766c1db-185b-4336-b99d-e365351c55dbPost:49f815f3-dea5-41f6-8230-7b12b94c5ff1">Re: Groom's Attire...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Belletop - Thanks for your opinion.  I'm not wearing ivory - doesn't go with my skin tone and we didn't like white on white for the groom. He got to pick out his attire because it's his day as well and he likes the deep navy blue of his vest.

Well, that navy sounds great, Angie.  Did you decide to go with those blue sandals, BTW??

FI's eyes are blue and honestly, I hope he decides to go with some sort of blue/gray/dusk for his tie/vest, which will match his eyes <u>and</u> my dress.  BUT ... he's a grown up and has been dressing himself quite nicely without my help for 50+ years!  I don't see the harm, though, in getting my son to make a shopping trip with him.  Hee hee!  ;)
  • edited December 2011
    I just had my husband in ivory, and our boys in black. The ladies dresses were purple. The boys wanted NOTHING to do with purple vests or ties. The only purple we could get on them was the stem of the bout.
    I loved the look of the groom in a straight tie and the boys in a bow tie, in the end they all looked pretty good!

• AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All the men in our BP will be wearing suits.  I am thinking of getting them matching ties or contrasting ties to the ladies - our colors are blue, green, brown and silver (the brown and silver are accent colors), but I have not decided yet.  Guess we will once we get the suits LOL.

I am not a fan of the white/ivory vests personally.  Maybe because when my oldest sister got married years ago, she had the men wearing white tuxes while the groom wore an ivory tux to match her ivory dress...........GAG it looked awful!
    Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Lisa - We found shoes over the weekend.  They are similar to the navy blue ruffled peep-toe shoe that I posted.  The sandels were a bad fit they didn't have any give in the rhinestone area at all.
  • Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    No problem matching the Tommy Bahama shirt ;)
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_grooms-attire?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:7766c1db-185b-4336-b99d-e365351c55dbPost:16524502-782d-47df-94cf-e9e3cd496209">Re: Groom's Attire...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lisa - We found shoes over the weekend.  They are similar to the navy blue ruffled peep-toe shoe that I posted.  The sandels were a bad fit they didn't have any give in the rhinestone area at all.

Yay!  Angie has shoes!! Angie has shoes!!!  WOO HOO!  *\o/*  <<  That's me, doing the happy dance for Angie.  :)
    edited December 2011
    LOL Lisa!  Yes I have shoes I'm not going barefoot (although that wouldn't have been a problem for me - maybe just a little chilly).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards