Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Point of Bridal Shower?

Hey all....

Just want to get some opinions about a bridal shower.  I live with my FI and we live in a house where we basically have all the "needs" taken care of.  I know we will register for the wedding for things that need upgraded llike our pots and pans and things like that BUT just wondering what the point would be for the bridal shower since I already have the things that we would be getting during that shower.  I guess I am thinking of NOT having a bridal shower.  I just need some opinions about it.  Thanks! 

Re: Point of Bridal Shower?

• The bridal shower originated in Holland.  When a bride didn't get a dowry from her father due to either poverty or disapproval, her friends and other family would get together to "shower" her with enough gifts to make the marriage happen.

This is sort of a moot point until someone offers to throw you a shower, since you don't throw your own.  People don't have to buy certain gifts for the shower, so if someone does decide to throw you one, you can either register for what you need and people can shop off that, or you can decline the shower.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • My sis lives out of the country so it will be difficult to bring much back on the plane. We were thinking of making a spa shower, where guests contribute to a spa day. Maybe that would would work for you too.
  • My fiance and I felt the same way you do and thought we might look 'gift grabby'.

But it turns out that my family was kind of expecting and looking forward to it!  It's by no means necessary, but as the date is drawing nearer, I'm getting really excited to share brunch, conversation and a few mimosas :) with my close friends and family. 

My suggestion would be to see if someone offers to throw you a shower.  You can always politely decline if it makes you uncomfortable.   

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_point-of-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:84b7edbc-35aa-4e8f-ae84-a5620617231cPost:695ff9ef-ace7-4701-bfbd-9184dceda3b4">Re: Point of Bridal Shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My sis lives out of the country so it will be difficult to bring much back on the plane. We were thinking of making a spa shower, where guests contribute to a spa day. Maybe that would would work for you too.
    Posted by colourz[/QUOTE]

The point of a shower is to "shower" the bride with presents.  I really don't like when people try to have showers for non-boxed gifts.  It seems pretty silly to me to have a shower so everyone get sit around and watch you open gift certificates.

If you don't have anything to register for or getting gifts home is logistically difficult, just decline a shower. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_point-of-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:84b7edbc-35aa-4e8f-ae84-a5620617231cPost:c2c1c314-ba48-4e95-a127-1c6dd712a5f7">Re: Point of Bridal Shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Point of Bridal Shower? : The point of a shower is to "shower" the bride with presents.  I really don't like when people try to have showers for non-boxed gifts.  It seems pretty silly to me to have a shower so everyone get sit around and watch you open gift certificates. If you don't have anything to register for or getting gifts home is logistically difficult, just decline a shower. 
    Posted by SaraAndrew2010[/QUOTE]

I agree, I would feel very awkward either opening just GC's as a bride or watching it as a guest.
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_point-of-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:84b7edbc-35aa-4e8f-ae84-a5620617231cPost:695ff9ef-ace7-4701-bfbd-9184dceda3b4">Re: Point of Bridal Shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My sis lives out of the country so it will be difficult to bring much back on the plane. We were thinking of making a spa shower, where guests contribute to a spa day. Maybe that would would work for you too.
    Posted by colourz[/QUOTE]

<div>How tacky!</div>
  • All I know is that it is to "shower" the bride with love and attention and best wishes (and therefore gifts) before her wedding.
  • Register for things such as home decor, tools, a digi camera, a new vacuum, new towels, etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • One shower I went to that was really cool was a wine shower. The couple were already well established and didnt need anything at all and so we all brought them a bottle of our favorite wine to stock their wine cupboard and friend made a gorgeous rack for them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I really like the idea of doing a game theme.  My FI and I love playing board games, and it'd give us hours of entertainment as a new family.  Thanks for that idea!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards