South Carolina

Is This Event Planner Charge Common in S.C.?

Hi everyone -- my question is about a South Carolina-based event planning company. They do gorgeous work, but will work only with brides whose wedding budget is $100,000 and up. Is that standard now, for event planners to work exclusively with people spending 100 grand? I'd appreciate hearing from other S.C. brides. Thank you!

Re: Is This Event Planner Charge Common in S.C.?

• edited December 2011
    I would not call it 'standard' but I think budget 'requirements' are comman for some companies!  I called on a couple before I found the one I went with the had like $50k mins. but of course did not meet with them.  I have learned that some of those charge a % of your budget vs. a flat fee....I went with the flat fee one ;-) that does amazing work so I am thrilled!

Hope that helps...
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much, your answer does help! The $100,000 minimum quoted left me speechless, but I'll keep looking! I appreciate your response!
  • edited December 2011
    A wonderful wedding planner in Columbia is Melanie Murphy and her team.
    She works with any budget and is wonderful to work with.  She was our wedding planner when my daughter got married 3 years ago.
    http://www.murphyweddings.com/
  • ssunkissssunkiss member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina_this-event-planner-charge-common-sc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:123Discussion:5f62d10c-880e-460b-a931-0cd7a085ba8aPost:8aa23dcf-be4d-4273-9974-920011d4bfa2">Re: Is This Event Planner Charge Common in S.C.?</a>:
    [QUOTE]A wonderful wedding planner in Columbia is Melanie Murphy and her team. She works with any budget and is wonderful to work with.  She was our wedding planner when my daughter got married 3 years ago. <a href="http://www.murphyweddings.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.murphyweddings.com/</a>
    Posted by IDOtoo[/QUOTE]
     <div>Ditto she is wonderful and will work with any budget. </div>
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you, Idotoo! I appreciate the referral to your daughter's planner!
  • Allen+SmithAllen+Smith member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    100k is a LOT of money to require as a min, but I have definitely spoke to planners requiring minimums of 50k+

I found a planner that typically works with a slightly higher budget than mine, but has set a flat fee for us so long as we don't exceed a predetermined amount. If we can afford to go up a little, their fee will increase according to the jump in budget. I was so excited when I found her, and she said she could work with my budget to make a great event, as every other planner I spoke to before her sort of scoffed at my numbers. Guess that's the price you pay for a getting married in Charleston (heh... no pun intended)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    anyone used a day-of coordinator? or used by invitation only's day-of coordinating? just wondering what kind of prices they were quoting? thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    Melanie Murhy owns By Invitation Only and her rates are very reasonable. We are working with her for our wedding and so far I have been very impressed. I would email her for her different package options. Also, she has tons of stock items to decorate with for your reception and ceremony.
  • edited December 2011
    This was really helpful! Thanks very much!
  • edited December 2011
    I am an event planner, specializing in Weddings and serve all of SC, but my main focus in in Myrtle Beach and I know that is not standard for around MB. We have minimums here for Full Coordination (mine is a $10,000 total Wedding Budget to inlcude so many hours.) But if you want Al La Carte Packaging (customized package) and/or Day of Coordination packaging the rates are a flat hourly rate and reasonable. I would be more than happy to talk to you futher! Best of Luck and Happy Planning!
    memorablemomentsmb@yahoo.com
    www.memorablemomentsmb.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards