Catholic Weddings

Prayer of the Faithful

How many intentions are you including?

Also, I want to include one that starts out "For students and teachers," since FI is a teacher and many of our guests are teachers or students. I'm stuck on this one. Can anyone suggest the wording of it?

Here are the ones I have so far (and if something looks familiar, it's because I drafted it a while ago after reading a similar thread on this board) ... any suggestions on changes? Too many intentions?

For world and church leaders, that love and peace may guide their actions and decisions, and that through their leadership, our world may be a place of equality and justice for all. We pray to the Lord ...

For those who serve in the military, and who serve as firefighters, police officers and medical personnel, may God protect them as they protect us. We pray to the Lord ...

For students and teachers … ???

For the sick, the lonely, the distressed, and the oppressed, that they may be strengthened by God's love and mercy, and aided by those around them. We pray to the Lord ...

For those who have gone before us, especially [names], that they may live forever in the kingdom of heaven. We pray to the Lord …

For M and D, now beginning their life together, that they may have divine assistance at every moment, the constant support of family and friends, the rich blessing of children, and a warm love reaching out to others. We pray to the Lord ...

For all couples who have made the commitment of marriage, especially the parents of M and D, may they be examples to the world of unity, fidelity and love. We pray to the Lord…

For the unspoken intentions carried in the hearts of those here today. (pause) We pray to the Lord ...

For our community, for ourselves, and for each other, that we may accept the challenge placed before us today, and make love our way of life. We pray to the Lord ...

Re: Prayer of the Faithful

• meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think they sound great!

For the teachers one how about:
    For all teachers, that they may be blessed with the wisdom to lead their students faithfully in the pursuit of knowledge; and for all students, that they may be filled with the gift of understanding, so that they may grow and learn in harmony with the Lord. 

WDYT?
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Sounds great! Thanks so much :)
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, those all sound wonderful to me!
  • edited December 2011
    I really like what you have.

How about...for students and teachers, that their hearts and minds be continually open to the wisdom and knowledge imparted through the grace of God.

WDYT?
  • meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually like Berry's better than mine LOL! So concise - good job!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thank you! Both great suggestions :)

How many intentions do you think I ought to use? I don't want it to be too wordy. There's nine here ... what's the standard? (I didn't think to count them at Mass this weekend, lol.)
  • edited December 2011

I think your intentions are lovely.

I read the prayers of the faithful at a friend's wedding recently.  They had 8 prayers, although they seem a little shorter than yours.  If you want to compare, here's what I read:

-    For the Church throughout the world and for those churches instrumental in the founding of Aaron’s and Lauren’s faith, especially Trinity Lutheran in Roselle, Illinois, St. John Catholic Chapel in Champaign, Illinois, Lane Avenue Baptist in Upper Arlington, Ohio and the Basillica of the Sacred Heart in Notre Dame, Indiana, we pray to the Lord:

-    For our city, state and nation and our leaders, that God may impart on them wisdom to govern justly, we pray to the Lord:

-    For the poor, sick and lonely, that God may bless them with hope and love, we pray to the Lord: 

-    For all married couples throughout the world, that God may continue to bless and strengthen their union, we pray to the Lord:

-    For the families of Lauren and Aaron, that God may continue to bless them richly and keep them in sound health, we pray to the Lord: 

-    For family members who have gone before us marked with the sign of faith, especially Theodore XXX, we pray to the Lord:

-    For all those in attendance today, that God may give them safe passage home, both near and far, we pray to the Lord:

• edited December 2011
    I think the length you have is quite appropriate.  It doesn't seem to be any longer than the prayer I hear duirng Mass.  It will go by much quicker than you realize (unless you have a really slow reader).  Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards