Maryland-Baltimore
Options

Inexpensive (aka dirt cheap) rehearsal dinner venue

Okay, so i know I've got plenty of time (my wedding is April 30th), but I'm totally stressing about my rehearsal dinner. 

Any suggestions of a super cheap room I could rent and bring in trays of food?  Wedding is in Pasadena, but thinking Baltimore for the rehearsal dinner.  

Re: Inexpensive (aka dirt cheap) rehearsal dinner venue

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Can you just rent a pavillion at a park and do a cookout, or get it catered more cheaply (i.e. by Panera, Cosi, even Chik-Fil-A or something) and supplement with homemade desserts and sides or something?  I know they rent pavilions at the park we go to often (Patapsco or something?  FI would know).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Laura.  We're renting a pavilion at a park and having Famous Dave's cater ours.  We have 75 people and it's under $1k for food, drinks and desserts from them.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are also having a lot of people at ours next year and to save money we are just going to have it at my FIL's home and have it catered. We were also thinking Famous Dave's or Red Hot and Blue. They have great food and are nice and cheap.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Look at doing pizza, a DIY pasta bar, BBQ at a park, etc.

Out of town guests aren't mandatory so you could cut that.  Only those who are part of the wedding reharsal and their long term significant others are mandatory.
  • Options
    jflaniganjflanigan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure a park would work in Maryland in April. The weather in April is pretty dicey. But I agree with the other suggestions, do the FILs have a large house whee they could host?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    HeatherMekHeatherMek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I was worried about the weather.  I'd hate to plan something and than be freaking out at the last minute because of rain or it's too cold.  Love the idea of Famous Daves.  I was originally thinking go to Costcos and getting salads and party trays but bbq is another way to go.  Unfortunately, their house won't work for entertaining that many people. I asked my parents if we could use their house, but since the hair dressers and make-up artists are all coming to their house the day of for the bridal party to get ready and they are hosting a brunch their the next day, it's too much for my mom.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not sure where you're planning, but take a look at the MD Parks site.  At least one of the parks in Frederick (where we're having ours) have buildings, not pavilions that can be rented.  I would assume some other parks have these as well.  That way you're not totally screwed if the weather doesn't cooperate.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you are doing an actual rehearsal, you might want to stay closer to Pasadena than making your guests travel all the way to Baltimore.  May find something cheaper, as well.  
    June 2011 Siggy Challenge: My Dress

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland-baltimore_inexpensive-aka-dirt-cheap-rehearsal-dinner-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:85Discussion:60186c46-4ba4-40de-9a77-bd37941c3869Post:dc9045ba-f951-48ac-8d1f-4b32b29026f6">Re: Inexpensive (aka dirt cheap) rehearsal dinner venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you are doing an actual rehearsal, you might want to stay closer to Pasadena than making your guests travel all the way to Baltimore.  May find something cheaper, as well.  
    Posted by Ashley42410[/QUOTE]

Sort of along this vein, I would have it closer to where the hotels are.

I'm getting married in Pasadena and couldn't find any decent hotels, so my guests are staying in Baltimore.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do the hotels have facilities you can rent and use your own caterer?

Mmmm...famous daves!
    planning

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are pretty much no hotels in Pasadena.  I'm figuring most of the out of towners will stay near Owings Mills. And from what I've seen, a restaurant for dinner is going to be at the minimum like $15 a head - and although isn't that pricey, it's more than I wanted to ask for.  I figured by bringing in trays of food (vs hiring a caterer) we could keep it under $10 a person, just finding a place has been really challenging. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Near Owings Mills, there are a few options for state parks (though as you said, the weather may be tricky, so see if you can do indoors).  Did you block rooms at a hotel anywhere?  They may let you rent space fairly cheaply and bring in your own food.  Also, you could try asking your caterer if they know of any locations you could rent out.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay, so I just had an idea and wanted to get some thoughts.  We are thinking about not doing the rehearsal at the venue because Pasadena is like 45 min to an hour away from everyone and with rush hour, we thought it would just be a pain.  Would it be cheesey to do a rehearsal at the venue around 7:30 (giving people enough time to leave work and grab some dinner) and than hosting a "rehearal dessert." That would be totally easy to do at a restaurant and would be inexpensive.
  • Options
    weezie825weezie825 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I think you idea of just dessert is a good one.  Also, depending on your venue maybe you could use them for the after rehearsal party.  I have actually been married twice.  My first wedding (young kid) was in a church and we had the rehearsal dinner in the church hall immediately afterwards.  I had a huge italian wedding party and it was forabout 50 people.  The grooms parents didn't pay a dime so I ordered sub rings from Santonis (they deliver!) and I got some desserts from Sam's Club.  Our church let me use the hall for free since I was already paying the clean up fee to use them the next day. 

For my second wedding I kept the bridal party to 1 attendant each.  I didn't want a do over of my big fat italian wedding!  After the rehearsal we all went to Bertucci's in White Marsh.  I reserved the party room and we got all you can eat pizza, salads and soft drinks for $16 per person.  (No fee to reserve the room!) They also let us bring our own dessert.

Good Luck whatever you decide!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think your job is to make things as easy and fun for your guests and attendants as possible.  In that vein, I think you should have the rehearsal meal close to the rehearsal site.  But, there is no rule which says it needs to be a dinner. 

Save money by offering a brunch or lunch. 

Consider doing it at a restaurant - Bob Evans? Chipotle?  Boston Market?  These places would probably be happy to reserve a 'section' of their restaurant or the whole place...and especially if your group comes during 'off' hours, like at 3 pm.  Before typical dinner after typical lunch.

I am doing similar research myself now and I'm planning WAY WAY ahead to save money.  We're considering a place in Little Italy Baltimore (but the rehearsal is a venue in downtown Baltimore less than a mile from this restaurant) and I'm asking their event coordinator to keep it (with tax, tip) to about $30 pp.  So, we're discussing lunch as a rehearsal meal.  If you 'negotiate' and develop a specific menu you could have your meal in your budget but keep people off the 'general' menu.

In regards to an early dinner or lunch - I figure that means the night is then free after the rehearsal for me to get my hair or nails done....before salons close.  And, if we've eaten in advance, nobody will be distacted by hunger.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards