Gay Weddings

Gay friendly photographer for the Outer Banks, NC

My partner and I are planning an Oct 1, 2011 wedding at the Outer Banks in NC. We have corresponded with 4 of the top photographers for this area, who once they found out that we were gay, just stopped answering our emails. They all said they had that date open when we had previously talked by email. We have not had this experience with any other vendors at all so we are quite surprised by this! The big wedding show is this weekend and we are attending. I am so worried that all the photographers that we really like for this area will be grabbed up after this event!

Does anyone have any words of wisdom, advice, or suggestions?

Thanks!

Christine and Jenn
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Gay friendly photographer for the Outer Banks, NC

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry you're dealing with this!  Might it be worth going to the wedding show, in hopes of finding a photographer you like who is not bigoted?

You could also check out Craigslist, which is where we found our photographer.

If all else fails, you could talk to our photographer, Bill Bray of Portrait New England.  You'd probably have to pay his expenses to go to NC, but his rates otherwise are reasonable enough so that might make sense.  And he was actually happy to be able to add a same-sex wedding to his portfolio when we used him.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for all of the sweet, supportive responses! We did hear back from one of our favorite photographers this morning. He and his wife have not done any ss weddings but said they are excited about working with us and were very sweet. I guess I sort of panicked after not getting a response yesterday. I probably need to take a deep breath! I am feeling a little better now that we have our venue and the main vendors under contract. Thanks everyone!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • atomicphotoatomicphoto member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    check out soyourengayged.com
    they are a great resource that i am proud to be a part of!
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    jennchris....which photographer did you choose?  The husband wife team sound like Outer Banks Productions, which is who we are using for our Sept wedding.

• edited December 2011
    I have a question, my girlfriend and I are planning on getting married in the outer banks, but everywhere I look online about their marriage requirements says they strictly prohibit 'same-sex' marriages.  Can you still have your ceramony there and they just will not recognize it? Or.... Thanks for any help you can lend!
  • Hi I I was just wondering what photograher you used for you wedding, because Im planning  my ss ceremony in the outer banks and currently Im looking for a photograher. I would love to use the same company as you since were both ss couples.

Thank you
    Tasha

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_gay-friendly-photographer-outer-banks-nc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:44Discussion:3c2f3fd7-33e6-4a33-8a03-23bb4117ad0ePost:4731cb53-44a9-435e-b6d2-9df3d02c37b8">Re: Gay friendly photographer for the Outer Banks, NC</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you everyone for all of the sweet, supportive responses! We did hear back from one of our favorite photographers this morning. He and his wife have not done any ss weddings but said they are excited about working with us and were very sweet. I guess I sort of panicked after not getting a response yesterday. I probably need to take a deep breath! I am feeling a little better now that we have our venue and the main vendors under contract. Thanks everyone!
    Posted by jennchris2011[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards