Connecticut

Cakes by Donna

I just wanted to put this out there because I have read some reviews on Donna which to be honest were making me quite nervous because she was recommended to me and I had a meeting with her (based on the recommendation i didn't even look into anyone else yet) and I literally went to the meeting afraid! 

I could not have been more pleasantly surprised! She was professional, nice, helpful, and the cake was just fantastic! She answered all of my questions, gave suggestions, I didn't feel she was pushy or overbearing at all! The size of her office made no different to me, she was very accommodating! I wouldn't even be able to find  a bad thing to say about her, her place, or her cakes. 

I just wanted to let everyone else know who might have heard or read similar things because I will vouch that my experience with her was wonderful and I really do look forward to my cake :)

Re: Cakes by Donna

• tntn1133tntn1133 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Look for another? Why woud you do that? My wedding is at the Society Room and I had the opportunity to choose Donna plus two others. Being as anal as I am, I tried all three. Absolutely no comparrison. Why do you think Donna is the only one voted by the BRIDES themselves, "Best of the Knot" all these years.She must be doing something right. I have learned to beware of people knocking others success. Also, these sites bring out competitive vendors pretending to be brides. Beware. My fiance and I  have complete confidence . You'll love her! Give it a shot!
  • edited December 2011
    Mia, that's great that you had a good experience with Donna.  I think the bottom line is that you have a good feeling and relationship with your vendors.  If you two fit and you like their product, that's what matters.  Donna is obviously a reputable vendor and does a lot of business, so I don't think you'll have a problem with her cake as long as you tasted it and liked it.  Some people just didn't fit well with her personality and the way she handles things... luckily you did!  I know from experience on this board, that people's opinions vary, but ultimately we all want honest opinions from fellow brides.  That's why we're here!  We're all looking for something different for our weddings, so only you can make that final decision. 

I can also vouch for 90% of the girls that commented on Donna that they're not vendors posing as brides.  If anything, you should be more concerned with the person that has never posted before on these boards and they come in with opinions that don't jive with the masses.  Those are usually the ones that are sometimes vendors posing as brides.  As you spend more time on this board you'll see that there are a large group of long time posters that give great advice... some of which have already been through the planning experience themselves, so I truly trust their opinions.  Good luck with everything and I'm glad you found your perfect cake!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I am glad you posted this.  Donna is one of our choices, and although we really like Chimirras, we also really want a red velvet cake, and I know Donna makes one (and the reviews on her cakes are good).  This makes me feel better about calling her & keeping an open mind.
    Thanks for the post!
  • tannymcgeetannymcgee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    tntn - you sound exactly like the people you are calling out.  are you donna's bff or something?  everyone here has given their honest experiences and no one has been rude.  sometimes a vendor just doesn't gel with someone; it happens.  

that said, im getting married at the society room as well. best of luck!
    Married 4/30/11
  • edited December 2011
    Anissa, this forum is for brides not for vendors.  Please read the rules that govern the boards and abide by them.  We take this very seriously, and all your posting does is reflect poorly on your character and inability to allow this venue to be an open forum for brides to seek guidance from other brides.

As was previously noted girls... these are the ones that you have to watch out for.  Random people that join TK just to post this kind of stuff.
  • jennylove810jennylove810 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_cakes-donna?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:dc75f04d-0eec-41cf-81a6-f59abcd2767fPost:b0df4159-c8e5-4ba7-9980-e02030165117">Re: Cakes by Donna</a>:
    [QUOTE]Look for another? Why woud you do that? My wedding is at the Society Room and I had the opportunity to choose Donna plus two others. Being as anal as I am, I tried all three. Absolutely no comparrison. Why do you think Donna is the only one voted by the BRIDES themselves, "Best of the Knot" all these years.She must be doing something right. I have learned to beware of people knocking others success. Also, these sites bring out competitive vendors pretending to be brides. Beware. My fiance and I  have complete confidence . You'll love her! Give it a shot!
    Posted by tntn1133[/QUOTE]

Yeah cause I'm not suspicious of this post AT ALL.
  • kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Just a heads ups...

VENDORS ARE NOT ALLOWED to post on TK!

Wedding professionals involved in a wedding-related enterprise cannot post any information on The Knot message boards, even if offering services free of charge

While we don't allow vendors to post on our message boards, if you are a wedding professional with a question about a post regarding your business; we may, in our sole discretion, post a statement submitted by you, on your behalf. Please email messageboards@theknot.com for more information.
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Anissa71Anissa71 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well thank you ladies for the insight.  You are absolutely correct AKULAJI, I did not read the rules and was not aware however I don't consider myself a "current" vendor.  I am not working in any position that deals with brides...I do help many of my friends and family plan their weddings on the side.  I guess I should have said "my former clients" and "my former couples" to make it clear and for that oversight I do apologize. 

I am however a "current" bride to be, just recently engaged but not "currently" in the planning stages of my wedding...I registered as a professional because I do consider myself one with insight to offer due to my experience and once I begin my planning process, I will change and update my profile to reflect that change in status. 

For now, my apologies if I have offended anyone.

• edited December 2011

Thanks for the clarification Anissa!

• jethani11jethani11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    omg.  what drama.  my view about this is that yes Donna's cakes are beautiful and she has sooo many cakes on her website that obviously she knows what shes doing.  If you want a masterpiece wedding cake this is where you should go.  But if you want a tasty cake with a more relaxed baker, then Donna may not be the best fit.  Cascade offers her along with Jcakes as options.  Donna may have alittle more artistic cakes but Jcake was much more pleasant to deal with and acted as if she wanted to sell us a cake that was moist and delicious but also very pretty.  Best of Luck and choosing your cake is such a big check.
  • emily203emily203 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also had a choice to go with a couple different bakers. Our wedding is at Saybrook Point . We visited Donna on a Saturday and she had plenty of staff to go around to help us. She made sure she talked to all of us until we had no more questions.  We called ahead and asked her if we could get a sample of gluten free cake and she had told us that normally she does not sample one out, but would accommodate us. Definetely went out of her way for us. There was no pressure or stress. We had a fun experience. A true professional and we were happy.
    Laughing
  • juliecderedjuliecdered member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    she turned me right off. wouldnt even meet with me until jan 2011. we are paying for our own wedding and met with vendors to construct a budget. she acted just kind of too busy to talk to me about my wedding that was 18 months from that time. with all of the stiff competition out there..it was pretty easy to just turn away from that kind of service.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards