Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Boring Old Guest Books

I've been trying to figure out an idea to use as a guestbook for my spring wedding.  Since my boyfriend and I don't hang many photos around we don't want to sign the mat of a photo.  We also don't really want to go with a guestbook we'll just put away somewhere. Any ideas?

Re: Boring Old Guest Books

• Options
    Check out etsy.  I saw quite a few interesting ideas on there when looking for guestbooks.  I think we are going to go with the tree where people leave their thumbprint as a leaf on the tree.
  • Options
    My friend just did that for her wedding and the tree turned out great!
    It was a big tree that she painted on canvas
    http://rscreativellc.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/audrey_andy_blog21.jpg?w=600&h=375
    222 image Yes
    62 image No
    9 image Holding RSVPs hostage
  • Options
    We did an engagement photo session with our photographer. He will use our favourite 15-20 images in the layout of our guestbook, which he will create. There will be pages that have just a photo, and other pages that will have just space to sign, and other pages with pic + signing.

He also gave us the idea to add questions to the book and let our guests answer them. For example, "Why do you think we are a perfect match?" .... guest answers. I thought this was a neat idea, but our wedding is very traditional, so we opted not to do this - just our pics + signatures.
  • Options
    I had asked this question a while back and received great ideas, we are going with a fish-bowl type vase and having guests write their wishes on little green/white note cards (our colors are sage/white) instead of guestbook....vase from walmart $5, note cards, $5 from Michaels, did our own design on them
  • Options
    Having guests fill out postcards of wishes and binding together

Mad Lib (this was in a TK email and I typed it up)

• Options
    If you don't care for a guestbook, just don't have one!  It isn't necessary.

We saw this at a wedding and I like it:  the couple had 2 wine bottles and small pieces of paper.  The sign said to write a note for the couple to read on their 1 year anniversary (one bottle) and their 10 year anniversary (the other bottle).  You put the note in and on those anniversaries, the couple breaks the bottle to read all the sentiments.  Isn't that sweet? 
  • Options
    cschuma2cschuma2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2010

Whatever you decide, just don't be disappointed if not many people fill it out.  I would estimate only about half of our guests signed our guestbook: a boring old one where all they had to do what write their name.  Perhaps your crowd will be different, but I think even less would have done a guestbook activity if it required more time and thought.

imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    That's the thing...I DO want people to fill itout.
  • Options
    I was totally against a traditional guest book and had looked into different ideas.  But we ended up going with a semi-traditional one.  Its a black and white damask book we got at Michaels (thats our theme) and the inside pages are completely blank.  We bought several gel pens in black and shades of pink, and will have them with the book.  I like that with this book people can write little notes to us if they want, or just sign it. 

Another idea I really liked but it was way more than I wanted to spend for a guestbook was pages that you bound after.  They had things to fill out like advice for the couple, guesses on how many kids and how long until they have them, favorite memories of the couple, and things like that.  It just depends really on how big your wedding is and what you want to spend.  For our wedding with 250 people those sheets would take too long to fill out.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We're buying a few bottles of wine to drink on subsequent anniversaries and having the guests sign their names on the bottles.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    oh...I dig that...
  • Options
    We're going the photoboth route where guests get in take a silly set of pictures and glue it on a page with a message. We'll still end up with a book that we have to keep but at least this will be a lot more interesting to go through than the standard list of signatures.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards