Military Brides

going to be a navy wife!

I just found this site awhile ago and have been on the local board (we are getting married in vegas next month) and randomly found this board :-)

anyway, i have a question: We are currently living in two diffrent states due to him being stationed somewhere else, and once we get married and file our ppwk etc etc he thinks that he will be mande a "geo bachlor"  - meaning that once he gets back from his delpoyment and while he is still tech stationed there and I live here, they will make him live on the boat.

I dont think that sounds right as he is E6 and just took his chief test and i thought that they would only make lower Es live on the boat if their spouses lived in another state.

We are in the process of getting things set for me to move to his state, but we are hoping to have it worked out before he actually comes back so he wont have to be a "geo bachlor".

Anyone have insight on this? he is getting some info here and there but has procrastinated sitting down with someone and getting details :-)

Either way, I am super excited to be married  - we have been together for 2 years and have had a LDR for the last 6 months while he has been in the other state, but i have been so fortunate to fly and see him for a few days at a time every 4 weeks or so....

Re: going to be a navy wife!

• kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    He should figure out what the deal is so you can stop speculating.

I'm confused, do you think they should pay BAH for wherever he is and BAH for you? I don't think it's appropriate to give two BAHs to someone no matter what his rank is. The military is getting its budget cut left and right, and should save where it can. I'm of the opinion that way more people should be forced to live either on base/in the barracks. The mission isn't served by money being wasted. Plus, I genuinely believe that it's good for more senior people to have crappy living arrangements on occasion because then young unmarried junior enlisted to see that marriage doesn't solve all their living complaints.

If that's not what you think, and you're annoyed he has to live on the ship just for his comfort's sake, I think you should look at the positives. You won't be paying for two households using one allowance, you can save money instead. 

FI lived off base for two years, one year surrounding a deployment, and about a year while on TAD recruiting duty. When he lat moved to his current base, that base decided to end all single BAH for NCOs, they could live outside the barracks, but in junior enlisted married housing. It's not at all comfortable for him, but it's military life. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • edited December 2011
    oooh, no nothing like that - i guess i should have been clearer - in a round about way, i guess my question is will they MAKE him send me the BAH or can he opt to use it for himself where he is stationed until i move there?

I dont want him to have to live on the boat but he is under the impression (again, he has yet to really talk to anyone since hes been out and about for awhile) that once we are married that they might make him send me the BAH, although I think he may be able to opt out....

Does that make sense?

Again, sorry if this is a random and stupid question - and obviously these are answers he has to find out and im not using this site to substitute the information, just that I am up late and was thinking about it....

thanks for the info :-)
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm. I don't know the 100% answer to that, but I doubt it, he can just get married and move as far as I know. All the geos I know have wives who need the BAH back at home. I hope he can get an apartment or whatever. He just needs to talk to someone. Speculating is the worst.

And I'm glad you weren't saying that, I always have my guard up on this board, unfortunately.

ETA: Geo bach is generally a positive thing, since the SM gets to live in the bricks for free instead of splitting one BAH, so I doubt they'll force him to live on the ship. How will they even know that you're not moving there?
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have never heard of them making him send the BAH to you.  When we first found out that H would be deploying as soon as we moved here, I considered staying in NY at my parent's house during that time.  If we did that, then the BAH amount would have been based off of where I was living at the time (NY) instead of WA where H is stationed.  But there was nothing about him being required to send me money.  

H is also in the Navy, and I figure all branches are the same, but the BAH just gets added to his check to be spent how we wish.  They have no clue whether he would take that money out and send it to you or not.  I really don't think they would MAKE him live on the ship.  If you choose to pay 2 rents or mortgages with the one BAH, that's your choice.  And if he already has a home set up there, they won't make him give it up and put his stuff into storage just because you don't live there.  

Also, how soon will he be getting new orders after you get married?  If you aren't married before the orders are cut, they don't pay for you to move.  And even if you are married, they don't oay for your move to him.  So if you are trying to work your move around when you can get your move paid for, I would plan otherwise.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011

yeah, i dont need the BAH - I have a full time job and we dont have kids (yet :-) and since he moved and has his place there and my place here, we dont need me to have the BAH.

His orders are in the state he is in now, WA (im in San Diego) and we know they wont pay for me to move, and thats not a big deal...Before he gets sent out this summer, he will be getting rid of his apartment, storing his stuff etc etc. When he gets back (early 2012) he still has one more year there so i will move up there when he gets back.

I just think that he is being mis-informed and because he has yet to get the right information (Im gonna make him this week though lol) and that is what is in the air.

I dont want his BAH nor do i need it, and we more then likey wont even combine finances until after he is back anyway. once in awhie if I need a bill paid or something he will do it, but mostly im self sufficiant.

Thank you all for the info....:-)

edited December 2011
    Which base in WA is he at?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_going-navy-wife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:f0f95ab1-33d1-4478-921b-ea7927d710d9Post:2daa83c5-43c4-478d-b0e1-f35b92adc927">Re: going to be a navy wife!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Which base in WA is he at?
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

He is in Bremmerton....
    edited December 2011
    Oh ok.  We are at Everett.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    welcome and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!!
  • jamiedustin47jamiedustin47 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been a Navy Wife for 7 years.. When we were in different states , they paid for where the dependants were.
  • edited December 2011
    Aw sorry I have no advice/information on your housing money question...my fiance has been in the Navy for 4 years, the whole time we've been dating, but he was at USNA so it was a little different. We live in 2 different states now too, only until May when I graduate woohoo! So excited to be married, but of course Navy life/deployment/base housing/everything else is a little intimidating and nervewracking.

But congratulations on your upcoming wedding:) I LOVE San Diego btw- visited my fiance there once and I didn't want to leave! He's in Monterey CA right now so we might do a quick trip up there for our mini-honeymoon!
    Nimi and Little Bite Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards