Utah
Options

Fondant over buttercream?

Hi Girls,I have a question about cakes! I went to Granite Bakery to do a cake tasting and was very adamant that I wanted buttercream because I like how it tastes. I was then very sad to hear that the kind of design I want on the cake wouldn't be possible unless they did fondant. But they also told me that they put buttercream on the cake first and then cover with fondant. My question is has anyone out there had any experience with this kind of cake? They gave me a little sample but I can't help but think once the fondant is pulled tight acrossed the cake that it will thin out the layer of buttercream underneath and make it taste more like fondant. Thanks for your help!

Re: Fondant over buttercream?

• Options
    mikosan1116mikosan1116 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a cake from Granite Bakery and it was buttercream covered with a very thin layer of fondant. It was still delicious!
  • Options
    MrsOpieMrsOpie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most guests don't eat the fondant but will eat the cake and butter cream part and leave the fondant behind.  The fondant is great to give your cake a clean and elegant look but still have the flavor of butter cream underneath.  If your worried about the butter cream getting thinned out then spend a little more on some awesome fillings for the cake to add some extra softness and flavor.
  • Options
    saltcakecitysaltcakecity member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At Salt Cake City they use homemade marshmallow fondant that just tastes like marshmallow. They also put a nice layer of buttercream in between the cake and the fondant so that guests can just choose not to eat it if they don't like the consistency. It's really yummy though.

www.SaltCakeCity.com has more information.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards