DC

Anyone having a Sunday wedding?

Would you mind sharing what led to your decision to hold your wedding on a Sunday?

I am getting worried about whether a Sunday wedding would be too difficult for out of town guests.

Re: Anyone having a Sunday wedding?

• edited December 2011
    We decided to have a Sunday wedding, but it is over Labor Day weekend, so it's really kinda like a Saturday wedding in that Monday is a day off for most.

We chose Sunday because the head count minimum for our venue was lower, the rental cost was lower and the venue only allows one wedding per day on Sundays as opposed to two a day on Saturdays.  We have also been able to get small discounts from other vendors for Sunday events.  Another factor is that all of our WP is from OOT, so a Sunday wedding allows for a Saturday rehearsal / RD and doesn't require our WP to take extra days off from work to be here.  We also have ~95% of our guest list OOT, so it's easier for guests to travel and not have to take extra days off.

In general, a Sunday wedding - if not over a holiday weekend - will be more stressful on OOT guests depending on how far they're traveling as they'll need days off from work, etc.  But if it were my family member or close friend, I wouldn't think twice about taking days off to be there.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • Kitcat106Kitcat106 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We arehaving our wedding on a Sunday. Our venue charges less for Sunday weddings, so that is why we are having it on a Sunday. We are getting married at an historic hotel, so out of town guests have the option of spending the night if they need to.

A few people have made comments about it being strange that we are having a Sunday wedding, but who cares? Jewish weddings take place on Sundays, not Saturdays, so it's not like this is some new idea!! Besides, if people reslly want to attend your wedding, they will be there. I tell people, it's just one day. They can re-arrange their schedule bit to accommodate our wedding! 
  • razdazzlerazdazzle member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having a Sunday wedding, this is more because of religious reasons (we are Jewish).  I am excited because it makes it more of a wedding weekend, in my opinion.

To be honest, all of the weddings in my family and extended family have been on a Sunday.  I don't see why it would be more stressful for OOT guests.  But I am used to this.  Probably most of your guests will come in on Sunday and leave Monday, so they will only need to take off one day for work.
  • razdazzlerazdazzle member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I meant to say that most guests will come in on Saturday!
  • edited December 2011
    I have been to a few weddings on sunday and actually one over labor day and it was nice because we didnt lose our saturday to hang out and still had monday off.... good luck :)
  • VickyFlorVickyFlor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thank you for the encouragement!

Razdazzle!  I have been meaning to page you and Smsky444 because we are going with Carnegie too!

• kaluha22kaluha22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We decided to do it on Sunday b/c it is a holiday wkend and it would be easier on our OOT guests.  However, we are not finding the "sunday deals/discounts" that one would normal have on a Sun b/c IT IS a holiday wkend! (LOL).  Wishing you well on your wedding!
  • VickyFlorVickyFlor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kaluha22,
    We were hoping to do the same thing, but it didn't work out for us.  I noticed the same thing though when we asked about prices. 
  • misssyahmisssyah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We figured sunday would be the best day since its not as popular as saturday and some venues offer less expensive rates that a saturday event...
  • asha03asha03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My sister had her wedding on Sunday and everyone came.  She even had it on Father's Day!  I think there were some gripes at first, because a lot of my family members (parents especially) had never attended a Sunday Wedding, but now my parents do not mind and in fact I am having a Sunday wedding.  I definetely think most of your guests in the area will attend, as for out of towners, I think for the most part, they will attend.  All of my sister's out of town guests attended.  They do have advanced notice, so they have time to make arrangements.
  • edited December 2011
    We chose Sunday over Columbus Day because 150/160 of our guests will be from out of town and they can travel on Saturday and Monday.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards