South Carolina-Charleston
Options

Honeymooner needing help

You ladies gave me some great recommendations for our honeymoon. I've compiled a list of some restaurants I think we might visit, but I wanted to see what you thought.

Which ones are musts? Have you had a bad experience at any of them? I'm trying to keep a bit of a price range, so we're not spending $80 on dinner every night.

For fancy dinner nights, Charleston Grille, High Cotton, and Magnolias.

More casual options, Hank's Seafood, Tristan, Water's Edge, McCrady's, Alluette's Jazz Cafe, Sunfire Grill and Bistro, 82 Queen, Cru Cafe, Fleet Landing, and the Vendue Inn Library Restaurant.

And for pizza, I thought we would do Pizzeria Di Giovanni and Mellow Mushroom.

That's more restaurants than we could possibly visit, so I thought your advice would be helpful in narrowing it down. Also, is there a restaurant that you would recommend just for dessert?

Thanks so much!

Re: Honeymooner needing help

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You must go to Poogan's Porch for breakfast or brunch!  A Charleston favorite!!  Enjoy!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    KAMINSKY'S for dessert only...you WON'T regret it!  Pure delish!
  • Options
    Mieke7882Mieke7882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love Cypress for a nice dinner. Food and service is always excellent. I think its better than McCradys and High Cotton. 
  • Options
    acausey6879acausey6879 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cypress over High Cotton for fancy... (I agree with previous poster)

LOVE Kickin' Chicken...which is not on your list, but worth considering! It's cheap and casual...but their food is really good!
  • Options
    katydid2014katydid2014 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    For a fancy dinner night, check out Carolina's.  They are a little "off the beaten path" but right near waterfront park/rainbow row.  Make sure to make a reservation at the more upscale places.  Carolina's has a more intimate, romantic feel to me than those other more popular places, like Magnolia's and High Cotton. 

I would not call McCrady's or Hank's Seafood casual by any means. They are just as expensive as your fancy places. 

Sunfire Grill is actually over in West Ashley, and it is nothing special.  Fleet Landing and Cru Cafe are awesome, but for dinner make sure to have a reservation at these places also.  Cru is a tiny place so it fills up fast, and Fleet is the ONLY restaurant actually on the water so it fills up fast too. 

I really like Mellow, and if the weather is nice be sure to ask to sit on their rooftop deck. 

And I second Poogan's Porch for brunch.  It is amazing.  Also for a more "casual" place check out Jestine's Kitchen for some home cooked southern comfort food.  Just get there early for lunch, like 11-11:30ish, or you will be waiting in line outside in the heat.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Poogan's Porch is a must!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Places to skip:
    Water's Edge
    Sunfire Grill

Places I love:
    Fleet Landing
    High Cotton
    Southend Brewery
    Grill 225
    Hank's
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Chaunte' & Dave
    May 21,2011
    Life As A Newlywed
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    brooks55brooks55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_honeymooner-needing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:600Discussion:3f6fbc94-09e7-4116-aef2-b96e7de28ef3Post:067edbad-b9f2-47a7-835d-7466eed9ff5f">Re: Honeymooner needing help</a>:
    [QUOTE] I would not call McCrady's or Hank's Seafood casual by any means. They are just as expensive as your fancy places.  Sunfire Grill is actually over in West Ashley, and it is nothing special..
    Posted by katiewest[/QUOTE]

McCrady's & Hank's will easily set you back $80 for dinner.

As far as pizza - DiGiovanni is good for your classic NY style pizza - check out Monza on Upper King Street for Naples style pizza - incredible, plus if your FI is a gear head he'll enjoy seeing all the old race car photos and the Ferrari engine block suspended from the ceiling.

I assume you'll have a rental car. that being said, go across the bridge to Mount Pleasant - follow signs for Coleman Blvd and it'll take you right to Shem Creek where you'll find great places waterside like Red's Ice House- $25 Crab Leg night on Mondays, excellent shrimp fritters.,, live music Th-Sat w/no cover. Water's Edge - inside and outside dining at the Cabana Bar- great food! And Vickery's - creative and affordable menu right on the marsh. Try the Turkey Pita sandwich, has brie and raspberry mayo - to die for!

Travel further down Coleman and you'll find Bambu- gorgeous patio and excellent sushi.  Go a bit further as the road changes names to Ben Sawyer Blvd and you'll find Triangle Bar & Grill on the left in the Bi-Lo plaza. Amazing grass-fed beef burgers, a lowcountry eggroll that is obscenely good and incredible sangrias.

You can continue over the marsh to Sullivans Island - -Dunleavy's Pub (cash only, they do have an ATM) amazing grilled wings, good reubens and lots of guinness; then there's Home Team BBQ, the pulled pork tacos are insane, ribs divine and they serve dangerous frozen painkillers.

If you make a left once on Sullivans Island you'll travel to Isle of Palms. First place you'll see is The Boathouse on Breach Inlet - their Crow's Nest Bar has incredible views of the Intracoastal Waterway and the Ravenel Bridge and you can order appetizers up there.

Continue down Palm Blvd and turn right after the post office, you'll hit the back parking lot of Acme Lowcountry Cantina - phenom breakfasts - fried green tomat eggs benedict, crabcake benedict and the rest of the menu is insane and affordable. Thursday is lobster tail night - 3 split tails with 2 sides (try their collard greens and the garlic snow peas) for just $20pp. 

On the Front Beach strip on IOP is the world famous Windjammer on the beach- huge deck, cold beers, great burgers and tater tots; beach volleyball courts and some of the best local, regional and national bands.  a little walk from there to Huck's Lowcountry Table - amazing fish tacos for lunch, pretty view of the ocean with house infused vodkas. try their bloody mary.

All the places I've listed are affordable and lots are on <a href="http://www.restaurant.com">www.restaurant.com</a> so you can get a coupon for $50 for $25.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you want a really cheap (but feels nice) dinner on a weeknight head to Social Wine Bar for Happy Hour. House wine, decent liqour and apps all for $3 each. My FI and I went there on Tuesday and had 2 pizzas (they aren't THAT big), an order or spicy spring rolls, 2 glasses of wine, and 2 mojitos for $21!! Go before 7 on a weeknight, eat up, and it's a full dinner.
    Disclaimer: Small menu of the $3 apps.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards