Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Re: doughnuts wedding "cake" tacky?!

• BoxOfRocksBoxOfRocks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't necessarily say tacky, but definitely trendy.  

FTR, the arrangement in the second photo has the doughnuts laid out in a much more attractive fashion (side by side or at an angle if on top of each other).  In the first photo, the doughnuts are stacked and appear to be sagging under their own weight.
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely not tacky. I agree with PP, though, it is pretty trendy- which isn't a bad thing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Thoughts: Yummy! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love cake, so I would be sad that there wasn't a traditional cake. But if that fits you and your fiance, your guests can deal! :-P
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going to be the voice of dissent and say Tacky.  The pictures were nice displays... if you're at a board meeting or convention.  They just don't look special enough to be a main attraction at a wedding.  Maybe as a late-night snack, but definitely not as the "cake."
  • edited December 2011
    I totally agree with "IWantCake".... The first picture looks terrible for a wedding... The second one was better.. at least they were "dressed up" with pretty frosting and stuff. I think the line between tacky and trendy is very easy to cross, so be careful.
    Omigosh! October 9th is coming at me quick!
  • carolinagal78carolinagal78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually just got this same idea emailed to me from a wedding website as one of the 15 most trendy ideas. I thought it was the knot. Imagine that! lol! I'm not doing it tho. My fiance is a cop so it would be kinda cute for us but I'm doing cupcakes instead. Go for it if thats what you like.
    image 114 Made the cut!
    image 84 Are ready to celebrate! image 20 Are missing out! image 10 Don't understand RSVP?!
  • edited December 2011
    Maybe if you're having an early morning wedding...?  Or maybe if they were a part of a dessert bar?  I love doughnuts but I just don't think they work for a wedding cake substitute.  
  • lisab613lisab613 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think nowadays it's whatever you want to do. i personally think the donuts are cute and fun, plus you can get a lot of variety. if you like it, go for it!
    Anniversary image<br
  • redheadtmkredheadtmk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that if you like it go for it. I prefer to see new and unusual as long as its not too far out there. I like weddings that reflect the bride and grooms personality better than the traditional approach. that is just me. we attended a wedding this summer that had a cake made of rice crispy treats because the bride was gluten intolerant. it turned out beautiful and fit them to a T.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards