Favors

Best favor you've ever received?

Just trying to get ideas for favors... what is the best favor you've ever received when attending a wedding?  What's the worst?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Best favor you've ever received?

• lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chocolate covered brazil nuts.  Man, they were sooooo good.  I rationed them out for as long as I could and I was so sad when I finally ate them all.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • edited December 2011
    There's nothing that really stands out to me as being the best.  Most of the weddings I've been to have had candy (chocolate bars, hershey kisses, chocolate suckers, etc) as the favor.

The worst favor I've ever gotten was a coaster sized thing that looked like a wall tile, and it had the bride and grooms name, monogram, and wedding date on it.  I have no clue what it really even was.  Was it a coaster?  Was it a wall tile?  Was it like a hot pad to set hot dishes on when serving dinner?  I have to clue.  Needless to say, I left it there on the table.
  • edited December 2011
    i personally like candles.....i never have enough of them.  i also liked the jar of honey i got at my friend's wedding.
  • bidge24bidge24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    i think i speak for everyone when i say that any edible favors are the way to go!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_favor-youve-ever-received?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:e0497ed8-f605-4ee9-a618-de7a6c08c676Post:1c7b2f93-d4b6-4b7c-b980-20acba4a31c0">Re: Best favor you've ever received?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i think i speak for everyone when i say that any edible favors are the way to go!
    Posted by bidge24[/QUOTE]

not everyone! 
  • futurepivkofuturepivko member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i agree, most of the weddings ive been to have been candy....like personalized M&Ms
  • future-mrsfuture-mrs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never gotten food :(  I can't even remember what all I've gotten but it got thrown in a junk drawer and then eventually thrown away all together....
  • JCM10JCM10 member
    edited December 2011
    I've either not taken or thrown away every non-edible one I've ever gotten. We're not doing favors...we're feeding them dinner and providing the reception as a thanks for coming, but that's it. 
  • prusgirlprusgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The best/worst favor believe it or not was one in the same.  We got a card saying that in lieu of favors a donation was made to ACS.

I understood why and I thought the thought was very, very nice -- much better than something you wouldn't appreciate.  But, at the same time we all kinda wanted a little momento.

So, you just can't win.  I gave chocolate truffles and table pictures.
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The best I ever got at a wedding was a scratch off lotto ticket.  I didn't win,  but a lot of people won a few bucks, and it was something that everyone enjoyed and used.  I also love getting bottles of wine, and once I got gourmet chocolates. 

The worst was probably a mini picture frame with jordan almonds.  I now have learned that there is meaning behind them as favors, but I'm not a fan.

We had a photo booth at our wedding, so we had photo strip frames at every seat.  They get their copy of the picture and the frame, and many people told us it was the best favor ever.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • S_A_FriedelS_A_Friedel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm - any weddings I've been to had candy as favors.  One wedding had these sugar cookies with a really pretty pearl colored frosting - they were in the shape of wedding cakes and really intricately decorated - I remember because they were really pretty (not to mention delicious too!)
  • edited December 2011
    Well, I'm usually a fan of the candy type favors... but went to a wedding Saturday and they had wine glasses with their name and date engraved on them.. I thought it was cool,. Even though it has their engraving on it, the glasses are still really nice and I will definitely use them!
  • edited December 2011
    The best favor I've ever gotten was this amazingly delicious gingerbread house at a Christmas wedding - it also doubled as the placecard, with the guest's name over the door.

The worst was a set of two mini tea cups with the saucers. What am I going to do with 2 tea cups that don't match anything else?

Still haven't decided on ours, but leaning toward something edible.
  • tyingthe.knottyingthe.knot member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have to be honest I don't keep favors ! so I really like edible favors! :)
    The one favor that i did like and kept for a minute was ... this lille morrocan jewelry holder it was very nice and fit the wedding theme !
  • edited December 2011
    Best favor has been bird shaped salt and pepper shakers.  The reception theme was bird cages.  The shakers are super cute and sit on my stove top.

I can't think of a worst favor becuase all the rest have been edible.

Anniversary

PitaPata Dog tickers

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_favor-youve-ever-received?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:e0497ed8-f605-4ee9-a618-de7a6c08c676Post:8a702e5e-fd05-4e7b-9c0b-2f72dfd14aa9">Re: Best favor you've ever received?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've either not taken or thrown away every non-edible one I've ever gotten. We're not doing favors...<strong>we're feeding them dinner and providing the reception </strong>as a thanks for coming, but that's it. 
    Posted by JCM10[/QUOTE]

I just don't get this mentality....  How is feeding your guest a "thanks for coming?"  Its called being a good host.  Favors are by no means mandatory, but come on... are you really doing your guest a favor by feeding them????  I thought it was the other way around, your guest are doing you a favor by showing up.
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    The best one I received was a CD of songs picked out by the B&G and each member of the WP (each person picked one song).  I know a lot of people are not fans of this and I understand why.  In my case it had a lot of songs I like on it so my reason for liking it is not at all related to it being a momento of the B&G.  The bride was a childhood friend so my mom was also invited to the wedding.  Being 33 years older than me she didn't like any of the songs on the CD and threw hers away after it sat around collecting dust in her house. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think about every wedding I've been to has had candy, and not even awesome candy but usually regular candy like Reese's or M&Ms.  This is why I oppose edible favors.  Unless you're going to do some kind of awesome food, I can buy my own $.50 pack of M&Ms, although better yet I would choose a Twix or Butterfinger because they are my fave.

I did go to one wedding where we got shot glasses, which were personalized. We still have it.  I don't think that's so bad personalized just because no one has fancy shot glasses and it really doesn't hurt to have one more.  I don't know that that's the best favor, but it's the one only I've been to where we didn't get candy.
  • JCM10JCM10 member
    edited December 2011
    We're doing a low budget wedding...I'd never do any non-edible favors, just because I think they're wasteful.  A lot of people just do dessert receptions, but we're doing a full sit down meal....we're choosing to spend more on the meal instead of budgeting for favors that are going to get trashed. One of my friends had wedding cake shaped homemade cookies...those were the only favors I've remembered people talking about after the fact. Bric-a-brac wouldn't make me feel any more appreciated as a guest...if anything snacks are nice, because most of the time there's traveling involved and snacks are just handy to have on hand. 
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Best: hmm, chocolate truffles.  Oh, and I'm really partial to my favors (fleur de sel caramels).

Worst: personalized (their names, not mine) single martini glass.  It matches nothing in my cabinet, I use it to contain small amounts of stuff while cooking (a single shallot, a couple garlic clovers), but realistically, I also have prep bowls that are non-breakable that do the job better.
  • tlbattagliatlbattaglia member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My favorite was a can coozie (just because I love them).  And it said "To have and to hold, and to keep your can cold." and then the bride and groom's wedding info. 
    Anniversary
  • loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most of the weddings I have been to, did not have favors. I hope to see a candy or cookie buffet in person someday, that would be plenty of favor for me
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't really think of a "best" favor.  Some decent ones were a bottle of wine (made at a home-brew place, so it was OK wine) and chocolate truffles.

Some not-so-good favors were heart-shaped cookie cutters or candy apples.

I'm planning to give out small tree seedlings so people can take them home and plant them (either in their garden or in a pot on their balcony) and then it will grow on forever, giving back to the earth by making oxygen and reminding them of our eternal love.... :)
  • VRLVRL
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_favor-youve-ever-received?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:e0497ed8-f605-4ee9-a618-de7a6c08c676Post:24fc5f68-b00f-4437-a5ee-5102ce049865">Re: Best favor you've ever received?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best favor you've ever received? : I just don't get this mentality....  How is feeding your guest a "thanks for coming?"  Its called being a good host.  Favors are by no means mandatory, but come on... are you really doing your guest a favor by feeding them????  I thought it was the other way around, your guest are doing you a favor by showing up.
    Posted by arv266[/QUOTE]

My understanding was that the reception in its entirety - from food, to drink to entertainment - is in place to thank your guests for joining you at your wedding. I don't think one part of a reception shows appreciation to your guests any more or less than another part. So with that mindset, yes - feeding your guests does indeed thank them for coming; as do the other components of your reception, whether that includes favors or not.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I've had two favorites, at a destination wedding we all received welcome bags and my fav thing in that was the CD the bride and groom made for everyone, the songs were perfect and I still listen to it 4 years later. My other favorite is a photostrip from a photobooth a couple years ago, we had so much fun in the booth and you can really tell in the pics! That's what we're planning to use as favors now!
  • mgietler76mgietler76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The best favor I've had was a mini bottle of wine, and the worst was candy apples. I love the idea for a fall themed wedding but they just didn't taste very good, and I was a BM in that weddding and we cleaned up a ton of leftover apples.

• edited December 2011
    The best favor I received was a spice jar with the couples initials and date of wedding on the lid. I still have the cinnamon jar and everytime I use it I think of them. I am stealing their idea for my wedding, with their approval of course.

The worst favor was a match box with two generic candy hearts inside. Needless to say I ate the hearts and left the empty box on the table.
    Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    To be honest, I always forget about the favors and I often leave the wedding w/o them! 

If I had to choose the best, I'd say it was homemade pralines from a NOLA wedding or a donation to cancer research.  Worst favors were a personalized beer koozie and a personalized christmas ornament (from the same wedding).
  • edited December 2011
    tiny liquor bottles - they were attached to a can of almond roca as well.
  • edited December 2011
    Best for me has been either something edible or the wine stopper that I received recently.  Worst is hands-down the creamer and sugar set on a wooden plate.

We are doing a destination wedding and we haven't yet decided, either.  We are providing welcome bags at check-in and are thinking about doing metal or leather luggage tags as favors that double as place cards.  Would love any thoughts on whether that would be liked or not?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards