Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Black/Grey wedding cake??

So if someone had told me i was going to have a grey/black wedding cake i wouldn't believe them....

What does everyone think of this cake? I am completely in love with it,but dont want it to look to gothy or anything like that

http://ourlittlegardenwedding.weebly.com/the-cake.html

thanks

Re: Black/Grey wedding cake??

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In your bio, it should read there are far too many beautiful CAKES to choose from.

Anyway, the cake is pretty, but I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable eating it.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My cake will be black and silver so it sounds great to me
  • Options
    UDscoobychickUDscoobychick member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you like it, go for it.  If you have a bright floral accent, like the pic, I don't think it will look goth at all.

And I don't understand why PP wouldn't feel comfortable eating it--the cake's appearance shouldn't have anything to do with that?
  • Options
    abbiewebsterabbiewebster member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_blackgrey-wedding-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:1effb4ba-1d24-43d1-a390-cd0a8cbb1e24Post:01b5012d-8931-4ff4-a02f-7fb7060b5cf8">Re: Black/Grey wedding cake??</a>:
    [QUOTE]My cake will be black and silver so it sounds great to me
    Posted by drjewell[/QUOTE]

did you have any problems with the icing turning ppls mouths black??? ive just been warned by alot of ppl this might be a problem

thanks for the input girls
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_blackgrey-wedding-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:1effb4ba-1d24-43d1-a390-cd0a8cbb1e24Post:61e69337-8fec-4e8e-877e-125785bb9724">Re: Black/Grey wedding cake??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Black/Grey wedding cake?? : did you have any problems with the icing turning ppls mouths black??? ive just been warned by alot of ppl this might be a problem thanks for the input girls
    Posted by abbiewebster[/QUOTE]

God, I would hope not. Blue fondant doesn't usually turn people's lips blue - as long as your baker isn't using cheap food colouring that stains, you should be fine.
  • Options
    topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would be afraid that my teeth would turn black.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    those are all awesome!! i love the one with the pink and blue flower shadows. do u know who makes them??
  • Options
    tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Black icing tastes icky.  They have to add lots of dye to get it that dark.  I would do a taste test on a smaller cake first.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They don't have to use a ton of dye, and it doesn't have to taste bad. There are specific dyes made that are very concentrated and it only takes a few drops at most to get the color. It definitely depends on the quality of the ingredients/baker you are using. However, that said, the tester cake a pp suggested is probably a good idea just to make sure you're satisfied with every aspect. HTH!
  • Options
    danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    As long as you are 100% sure that it won't turn your guests mouths and teeth black, then it's fine. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In my experience, even very expensive bakeries, who use the best dyes possible, have bitter tasting black fondant that leaves anything from a slight residue on the lips and teeth to full out "it looks like you're tongue is rotting" tinges.

It also doesn't really taste as good as a lighter colour.

If served a slice of that, I'd either decline, pick at it and not really eat much, or peel off the topping altogether.
    10-10-10
  • Options
    seoulgirl71seoulgirl71 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can get good tasting black fondant if your baker starts with chocolate fondant.  It doesn't take as much black if you start with darker brown.  If the flavor goes with your cake choice, you can get a yummy black fondant.  Even with the lesser amount of coloring, you can't guarantee that it will not stain your guests teeth.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards