Jewish Weddings
Options

Chuppah?

I trying to find an inexpensive (under $400) chuppah for my wedding. I live in Northern VA and so far have no luck in finding one. I have searched the internet. Any ideas?

Karen

Re: Chuppah?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I live in toronto canada and I was able to rent one from my florist for 300 + the cost of flowers to put on it
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    GreenEyes005GreenEyes005 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you tried a gemach in your area? You usually borrow for free, as a wedding is a mitzvah, but give a donation. As for a cover, one gift to your husband to be is a tallis. Some could be already decorated. Call around shuls that are orthodox leaning and they will be more than happy to help!
  • Options
    Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    The synagogue where we had our wedding had one we could borrow and decorate as we liked.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    you could also go the traditional route and borrow or make poles, use a tallit or nice piece of fabric and have your chuppah be walked in by four pole holders.

is your rabbi affiliated with a synagogue?  some  have chuppah poles and "cover" they loan out.
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We sold the chuppah we made for our wedding.  (See picture, below.)  However, it appears that the people who bought it are now renting it out for $100.  Here is a link to the Craigslist ad.  There is a picture in the ad, and I've also posted one of our pictures of it below.

Other resources in this area:

• Huppahs.com
    • Elli-Chai's One-Stop Judaica Shop 301-933-1800 
    • Washington Jewish Bookstore    301-942-2237  
    • Women's League of Conservative Judaism   301-946-4043 Charlotte Zeidman  $150 (hangs in hallway at Tikvat Israel in Rockville)
    • Shirley Waxman   301-299-5526 www.shirleywaxman.com
    • General Rental (Chantilly)    703-941-3520  various styles
    • Charm City Chuppahs    410.549.5490/877-856-5490     Mona Freedman

Or check with your florist; they often have chuppot to rent.

Another alternative would be to DIY one:
    • • Ours (picture below and instructions at this link) was built on the frame of a portable popup gazebo.  We live in DC and got married in Massachusetts.  Our chuppah could be folded up and easily transported, and was also easy to set up once we got there.
    • • This one relies on putting each of the four poles into PVC pipe set into a flowerpot partly filled with concrete for stability.
    • • This one is based on using a lattice for the ceiling, which stabilizes the whole structure so as to make support for the bottoms of the poles unnecessary.
    • • This one has a wooden frame at the top, held up by lattices at each of the corners.
    • • This one is based on birch poles put into umbrella stands.
    • • This one is not free-standing, and would need to be held by four people during the ceremony.  However, it uses bungee cords to attach the four corners of a tallit to the four poles, so that the fabric of the tallit won't get torn if the pole-carriers aren't perfectly in sync.

• Options
    mjjewellmjjewell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I made ours from pvc pipe and fabric I got from a fabric store. It's relatively easy -- you need 4 Side Outlet 90s, aka, "pvc corners" and 8 pvc pipes. the circumference and lengths / height is up to you. We did an 8ft height and 6x6ft cover. The top was draped with fabric as were the poles. It was really nice and we made the whole thing for under $100. Feel free to message me if you have more questions! :)
  • Options
    MrsAdler2013MrsAdler2013 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just bought ours from the Yair Emanuel website. They're having a Rosh Hashanah sale and if you sign up for their email list you get another 5% off.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you tried Huppahs.com? They're less than $400.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice. I am thinking about making my own. I am thinkjing to use frabic from our familes that are meaningful (old tablecloths from grandparents, crossstich items, etc). I am a quilter so that should not be too hard for me.  I was thinking to use bamboo poles. I saw some at JoAnns fabric and they are not too expensive.
  • Options
    AMF2012AMF2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does anyone know where to get a chuppah in the Philadelphia area? Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Where did you get it from if I may ask?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards