Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Permits needed for backyeard wedding?

Hi girls,

We are thinking of having the ceremony/reception in the backyard of our new home we are building. I was wondering if anyoe that has done this had to get any permits or permission from the city? We will be in Parker, TX which is in Collin County.

I have not found any informaiton online or by emailing the city of Parker. Any info would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Permits needed for backyeard wedding?

• Options
    I don't know of anyone here who did this.  I would call the city to see what they say.  
  • Options
    I can't imagine that you would need a permit from the city to have what equates to a party in your backyard, unless you plan on making a good deal of noise (DJ, large speakers, band, etc.). In which case you will probably want to check into the noise ordinance for the city-a permit may be required for that.
    I've heard of stranger laws, so you may want to consider going up to the city or county clerks office just to get the answers directly from them.
  • Options
    In June?  Noooooooooo!  :)

This doesn't really have anything to do with your question, but this is a great blog about a couple that did just what you are thinking of if you want some inspiration.

http://www.younghouselove.com/wedding-album/
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_permits-needed-for-backyeard-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:1c2609c8-cb76-42d8-8c57-bb8a60f7bbcePost:74acfc2c-8b49-41ea-b658-158b2a0e4511">Re: Permits needed for backyeard wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In June?  Noooooooooo!  :) This doesn't really have anything to do with your question, but this is a great blog about a couple that did just what you are thinking of if you want some inspiration. <a href="http://www.younghouselove.com/wedding-album/" rel="nofollow">http://www.younghouselove.com/wedding-album/</a>
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

Haha! No way, not an outside wedding in TEXAS in JUNE! My fiance and guests would kill me! It will be in March of next year.

I've been to that blog, it had some great tips and ideas. Thanks for the info. :)
  • Options
    We do not plan on having a DJ, just am acoutic guitarist/singer (basically nice background music but nothing overbearing. We are starting at 6 and it will be over by 10. We are only inviting 50 ppl so that will be the max if every guest we invite shows up. I have been to birthday/holiday parties and friends homes that have had about the same amount so I dont think any permits would be needed. I just want to make sure all of our bases are covered and everything is in order because no girl wants the cops called on her wedding day.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_permits-needed-for-backyeard-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:1c2609c8-cb76-42d8-8c57-bb8a60f7bbcePost:1a3153a5-2baf-4650-a59e-4ef746260342">Re: Permits needed for backyeard wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Permits needed for backyeard wedding? : Haha! No way, not an outside wedding in TEXAS in JUNE! My fiance and guests would kill me! It will be in March of next year. I've been to that blog, it had some great tips and ideas. Thanks for the info. :)
    Posted by tiffanygoss[/QUOTE]

Oh, Ok, your profile said June, whew!  :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_permits-needed-for-backyeard-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:1c2609c8-cb76-42d8-8c57-bb8a60f7bbcePost:140cc730-6b12-4a4c-94f0-d5a0227f9380">Re: Permits needed for backyeard wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Permits needed for backyeard wedding? : Oh, Ok, your profile said June, whew!  :)
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

Oh whoops, we have since changed ALL the  wedding plans so I should prob update the profile! :)
  • Options
    The only thing that pops out to me would be any TABC laws. If anything happened relates to alcohol, you can be held liable if there's not a tabc certified bartender. Granted, every person in Texas who throws a random party is also subject to this liability. Just something to keep in mind.
  • Options
    tiffanygosstiffanygoss member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_permits-needed-for-backyeard-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:1c2609c8-cb76-42d8-8c57-bb8a60f7bbcePost:902bef9f-4827-4e8b-b687-f30aebdce125">Re:Permits needed for backyeard wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The only thing that pops out to me would be any TABC laws. If anything happened relates to alcohol, you can be held liable if there's not a tabc certified bartender. Granted, every person in Texas who throws a random party is also subject to this liability. Just something to keep in mind.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

Good point. I'm pretty sure the catering people have a bartender with them (I need to ask if they are TABC Certified) I suppose if someone does drink too much at least we are at home and they can sleep it off in one of our extra bedroom (we wil be at a hotel that night) Oh god, now I'm having pictures of someone throwing up in my bathroom or something!! AAAHAHH!!!
  • Options
    Haha don't worry... I used to bartend, and was TABC certified, so I know most of the laws. Almost all wedding venues require that all alcohol be handled by TABC bartenders, and I seriously doubt a caterer would have bartenders on hand that weren't certified. I used to do catering on the side in college where I wore fancy clothes and walked around with a tray all night passing our apps, I never TOUCHED the alcohol, and I still had to be certified just to be able to work.
    I would ask your caterer but if it's even a remotely reputable caterer it should be covered.
  • Options
    Just an update: I received an email back  from the Parker chief of Police on this question.

Welcome to Parker and Congratulations to you and Shane on your upcoming wedding. The Southridge area is not a high traffic which is a good thing. I have a couple of suggestions for your event:  1. Let the neighbors know in advance with the times so they won’t be surprised by the increase in traffic. 2. Depending where your new home will be located- parking for your event is important—make sure you do not block any other person’s driveway and make sure that whatever you decide to do for parking- that emergency vehicles (including a large fire truck) can easily move in and out of the area. 3. If you are having a band or loud music –again let your neighbors know.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards