Utah
Options

Park City - Winter Wedding

Hello Everyone,

I am from Chicago but my fiance and I are avid snowboaders.  We want to have a winter wedding and possible do a run after our "i do's".  I am trying to decide which winter month would be the best to have a wedding in Park City.

Can anyone offer some advice on which months would be the best due to weather patterns in the area?  For example, are we more likely to encounter a snow storm in March vs December?  The last thing I would want to happen is to plan a wedding and no one be able to attend!  I guess that's the chance you take with winter weddings on a mountain though!

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

- Erin

Re: Park City - Winter Wedding

• Options
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_utah_park-city-winter-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:109Discussion:6a7095ce-c987-47d9-a3a3-b058452e5c35Post:5e0a4520-ac7f-46b2-b64b-9c3d75fd22c7">Re: Park City - Winter Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I currently live in Salt Lake City and have my entire life. I spend a lot of time going up and down Parley's canyon to PC. I would say that even if a snow storm comes up on the day of, not to panic. I've only ever heard of the canyon being closed a few times out of the year, but that is usually due to accidents, not the snow, and it usually opens back up shortly after. Most Utahns, are pretty skilled at driving in the snow. I would suggest that you have your guests arrive a couple days before and stay in PC. Flights are rarely cancelled due to snow, they may be delayed, but unlike the east coast, we actually can handle life in the snow and don't shut the city down. I would definitely suggest getting married somewhere in Park City. Avoid any resorts up Little or Big Cottonwood Canyon, those two canyons get shut down almost daily it seems like. Park City, being a place that people actually live full time and have to comute to and from, rarely closes. Hope this helped. Also, I would say the most beautiful time would be in early January. They leave the lights on the trees from the holiday, and the snow has a pretty good base by then. It will also be the most expensive and busy time of the year with Christmas Break still going, so you may want to wait until late January. Let's hope we have a better winter this year than last.
    Posted by cfc0805[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_utah_park-city-winter-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:109Discussion:6a7095ce-c987-47d9-a3a3-b058452e5c35Post:969765e9-85fe-49bf-af6e-92a3ce108fd7">Park City - Winter Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello Everyone, I am from Chicago but my fiance and I are avid snowboaders.  We want to have a winter wedding and possible do a run after our "i do's".  I am trying to decide which winter month would be the best to have a wedding in Park City. Can anyone offer some advice on which months would be the best due to weather patterns in the area?  For example, are we more likely to encounter a snow storm in March vs December?  The last thing I would want to happen is to plan a wedding and no one be able to attend!  I guess that's the chance you take with winter weddings on a mountain though! Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! - Erin
    Posted by emambru[/QUOTE]

If you want to do some actual snowboarding, I'd shoot for March.  December can be iffy as far as snow totals (looking at this from a recreational perspective).  Last year it was a weak winter, the winter before was record snow fall.  I was skiing in October (backcountry skiing that is).

March will have a few storms perhaps, but don't be surprised to see some tulips starting to bloom down in the valley while the skiing is still great up high!

I wouldn't try to avoid a whole month strictly to avoid storms however.
  • Options
    Dealing with many brides who worry about the weather, I too, would shoot for late Jan early Feb because there is still a ton of snow and storms are intermittely common.
  • Options
    An alternative to having guests stay in SLC (parley's closures) could be to stay in Heber Valley. That's where I grew up and the road from Heber to PC never closes. I would also agree to late January/early February.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards