Wedding Woes

AP related - co-sleeping

when co-sleeping goes too far - I was watching a show on Discovery Health earlier today called "Toddler Trouble" (i think) - I caught the last 15 minutes or so. There was a couple with a 2yo and one on the way. The toddler had been co-sleeping, and they wanted to move her to her crib to make room for the new baby. They were taking her to a psychologist/psychiatrist because they could not get the kid to sleep in her crib - she was terrified of being left alone in the crib. She was at the point where she would projectile vomit because she was so upset. (They tried to leave the kid in the crib at 1 year and she wouldn't have it) The Dr. told the parents they just needed to leave the kid in the crib and let her CIO - they could go back in every 5-10 minutes and "comfort her" for a very short period, but they needed to let her wear herself out. The parents lasted all of 3 minutes - the kid was gagging, so they just gave up and put her in bed with them. 

The only positive outcome of this story is that the parents decided new baby was going in the crib from day 1, cause there was no way in hell they were going to try and do this 2x. 

Re: AP related - co-sleeping

• Of course that kid is freaked out.

They reinforced the mom and dad's bed = safe and crib = scary idea.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ap-related-co-sleeping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:4992f0ef-6edd-4cf8-aa60-528b7048686dPost:cc8d81a5-7543-4f79-b101-58af94bdbdef">Re: AP related - co-sleeping</a>:
    [QUOTE]Of course that kid is freaked out. They reinforced the mom and dad's bed = safe and crib = scary idea.
    Posted by loveshine1[/QUOTE]

And added to it: NEW BABY IS HERE YOU ARE OUT OUT OUT!
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ap-related-co-sleeping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:4992f0ef-6edd-4cf8-aa60-528b7048686dPost:8170cdf0-36b2-4003-a899-c2fdf310604b">Re: AP related - co-sleeping</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AP related - co-sleeping : And added to it: NEW BABY IS HERE YOU ARE OUT OUT OUT!
    Posted by awesome-sauce[/QUOTE]

This is what I was thinking...
    (opinions differ but, even peeps who are pro-co-sleeping tend to agree that it's not safe for a kid to sleep w/ an infant--so you can't have both in the bed easily)

Hey kid, the new, improved kid gets your spot now!
  • I never understood it. Personally, it seems that co-sleeping is more for the parents than the child. I once babysat a 2 yr old who still slept with his parents, although he had a perfectly good toddler bed. The parent's never informed me of this, and after trying my darndest to get the kid to sleep they came home t and I was still trying to sooth him. They were shocked that I hadn't let him sleep in their bed (it's not like the kid could tell me, he was a very non-verbal 2 yr old). Anyways....they were pissed and never asked me back. Crazies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards