Honeymoon Discussions

Any Thailand Honeymooners out there?

Hello,
So my FI and I have decided we want to have adventure and relaxation combined in one trip. So I'm thinking Thailand is the place to be! Anyone have any experiences in Asia or have any suggestions for things to do??

A lot of packages include amazing experiences from elephant trekking in the jungle, bamboo rafting, canoe cave exploring to snorkeling, massages, and dinner on the beach! 

SOOO excited and wishing I could go now! <3
Me (26) DH (26) TTC since March 2012. Dx: Hypothyroid in 2007.
CD3 BW: Low AMH - .88; 7dpo BW - 10.3; SA: Normal; HSG - All Open. Genetic Testing revealed MTHFR - C (hetero)
1st RE Appt 10.24.12
Oct. 2012: 100mg Clomid (CD3-7)+ Ovidrel (CD12) + TI = P4-35.9 = BFP 11/16/12 (12dpo)t!!
Beta #1 (11/19) =142! Beta #2 (11/21) = 303!, Beta #3 (11/23) = 640!
EDD: 07/31/2013!
My Blog
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Any Thailand Honeymooners out there?

• That sounds amazing! We have never been there but would love to go! Where are you booking through? I sometimes see good deals there through TravelZoo. 

• Where in Thailand?  We spent a week in Bangkok and two days in Phuket.  Phuket was not as great as we were told it was going to be.  It was really a beach town, just like every other beach town in the US.  Bangkok, however, was amazing.

1.  See all the main Buddhas--Emerald Buddha at the Palace, Golden Buddha, Reclining Buddha, Standing Buddha.  Be mindfull that the temples are places of active worship, like a church.  People will be praying to the buddha and giving offerings.  Respect their religion.  Wear shoes that are easy to take on and off.  You will be doing that a lot.  Wear proper attire. Because most of the buddhas are on sacred ground, they will not let you in if you are scantily clad.  No tanktops, no flipflops, no shorts, no skirts, no capris (legs must be completely covered), and nothing see-thru.

2.  Wat Arun is amazing.

3.  Night Markets--you can barter, but know what the currency exchange is.  They will only take baht, so change your money out.  If you don't like a price, walk away.  They will come after you. You can get a lot of things for no money. We spent $300 in two days and filled an extra suitcase of trinkets.  All vendors carry the same thing, so don't get stuck at one place.  Do not pay asking price.  Offer half at least.

4.  Jim Thompson house is a must see.

5.  the Palace is a must see as well

6.  Take a tuk-tuk, but don't get sucked into the scam.  Some drivers will take you to shop after shop before taking you to your final destination.  This is fine, unless you are on a time schedule.  The shops are usually jewelry or custom clothing and  they are way overpriced.The driver gets a kickback for taking you there.  If you find yourself in that position, stand your ground or pay what you owe and get out of the tuk-tuk.  The guys that do this are wearing blue shirts.  People will also tell you that temples are closed in an effort to get you to leave, in their tuk-tuk to go shopping, and come back later. The truth is that temples don't close during the day.  Don't believe them.

7.  Drink lots of bottled water.  It is hot.

8. Do not get in a cab that doesn't have a meter!  You will get to your final destination and get stuck with a $75 cab ride.  Some will tell you the meter is broken--no, no.  Find a new cab.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Oh yeah,  the food is amazing. Eat everything that you can!
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Thank you all for your post!

I want to do a jump around while I'm there between North and South so some of the places included in the packages I'm finding are:

Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Samui, Krabi, Phuket, Phi Phi Island, and some other side rock islands: Koh Tao and Nangyuan.

Vsgal, We have a friend who lives in Bangkok so we are excited to have him show us around and thankfully be able to avoid getting jipped! Thanks so much for your advice and suggestions on what to wear, bring, etc. It's nice to hear direct experience. 

Any recommendations for hotels? 
    Me (26) DH (26) TTC since March 2012. Dx: Hypothyroid in 2007.
    CD3 BW: Low AMH - .88; 7dpo BW - 10.3; SA: Normal; HSG - All Open. Genetic Testing revealed MTHFR - C (hetero)
    1st RE Appt 10.24.12
    Oct. 2012: 100mg Clomid (CD3-7)+ Ovidrel (CD12) + TI = P4-35.9 = BFP 11/16/12 (12dpo)t!!
    Beta #1 (11/19) =142! Beta #2 (11/21) = 303!, Beta #3 (11/23) = 640!
    EDD: 07/31/2013!
    My Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We stayed at the Marriot right on the river.  It was nice.  We sayed it was our honeymoon and they gave us an upgrade.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • We did not do anything in Northern Thailand.  Chaing Rai and Chaing Mai have good local shopping and the native culture is still very present, but it is a good 6-8 hour train ride to get there.  If you have lots of time, then I would go. We wanted to spend our trip getting in touch with the country and not traveling within it. Bridge over the River Kwai is a good day trip as is the floating market.  You can spend a week in Bangkok and not get bored.  There are so many things to look at and do.  We spent one week because we spent two weeks in China previously.  This was the tail of our trip.  Tours could be ok. They did not work for us because we did not get to pick our own hotel. Most of those tours will only show you the tourist spots, so you miss a lot of what the country has to offer.  You also have very little say in where you stay or how long you stay.  We like to go off the beaten path when we travel internationally.  Just make sure you do a lot of research on the tours.  Look at quality of hotels, duration of stays, meals included, and days on your own.  Lots of the tours will only take you around during the day and leave you on your own at night.  We look at the tours to see what the highlights are and then we book the trips on our own.  THey are usually cheaper if you do that.  The downside is that you will be on your own and if you are not international travel-savvy, that can be scary in a foreign country.  By the way, most Thais can speak English.

Take loads of pictures--you will not regret it.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • We are planning on going to Thailand!  I'm so excited.  We are also planning on using my FF miles to upgrade.  :-)

We're not into tours or TAs really.  

We are planning on getting clothing made, I want a black pearl necklace, staying a few nights in a hut over the ocean, massages, snorkeling, temples etc.  
  • Thailand is an amazing adventure and the food is incredible.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards