Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Avoiding line-ups at food stations?

Fh and I are planning on having a full sit-down dinner that will end at around 9:30pm. We plan on getting the dancing and partying going after that. In our culture, an abundance of food is important and it is also important to have food constantly available to the guests. 

FROM 9:30 to the END OF THE WEDDING
We were thinking of putting some finger food dessert platters on each table (for ease of access) that include some salty treats like homestyle pretzels, merangues, finger cakes, and all sorts of other individually-portioned foods. 

FROM 11:00pm to the END OF THE WEDDING
We got a seafood station (lobster, crab legs, shrimp, mussels, etc etc) that also includes some meats and finger-foods. 

FROM 12:00 to the END OF THE WEDDING
We have a (1) sweets table that has pastries, whole cakes, fruit, etc. We also have a (2) sorbet station that has individually-portioned sorbet stuffed back into the fruit (ex: orange sorbet stuffed back in the orange fruit shell).

My fmil is worried that people will spend too much time in line-ups for these food stations. To try to avoid this, we put some snacks on the tables (the ones that immediately follow the dessert of the main meal), but we still have 3 stations that will not be served at the table. In our culture, guests are used to being served at the tables, BUT we have all been living in Canada for a looooooooooong time, so even though we know what is "cultural" I also think our guests will accept using stations since I'm sure they've been to plenty of weddings where this has been the norm.

Do you think that this will create a problem? Do you think that there's a way to avoid line-ups, or that this isn't an issue and line-ups won't really happen anyways? At all of the weddings I went to, I don't think I ever had to wait in a line-up, unless there was maybe 1 or 2 people already there and I wanted to give them some space while selecting their food.

Re: Avoiding line-ups at food stations?

•  I do not think you will have to worry about anything, especially since it's a late-night snack.  People do not generally rush a late-night snack station all at once.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I agree with lynda that you don't need to worry about it.  People aren't going to all be hungry for food at once, like when you have a buffet for entrees.  With the indivdually-portioned items, people will move through pretty quickly, so even if multiple people are there at once, it will be grab-and-go.  You also have a lot of places where people will be able to get food--multiple stations plus the individual tables--so I really don't think it will be a problem.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_avoiding-line-ups-at-food-stations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:eb77dff0-403f-4d37-a34d-09c513feacd3Post:0bccbf12-79a3-4c02-aa56-14a07340fdb5">Re: Avoiding line-ups at food stations?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I do not think you will have to worry about anything, especially since it's a late-night snack.  People do not generally rush a late-night snack station all at once.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

<div>That's what I was thinking, too. And people shouldn't be hungry at that point, it's just something extra and to keep people from drinking on an empty stomach. I had a feeling this worry/discussion was all for nothing, but I wanted some extra opinions to be sure. </div><div>
    </div><div>Even if people were to swarm the stations all at once, there are plenty of stations and there's the snacks on the table, so I still don't see a problem if let's say 25% of the people ALL went to station 1, while 25% went to station 2, and so on...</div><div>
    </div><div>But I still REALLY doubt that everyone would swarm the stations all at once, and that's what I keep trying to explain to fmil (and my parents, to be honest), since they mostly went to traditional weddings in Europe, and only 1-2 weddings in Canada.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_avoiding-line-ups-at-food-stations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:eb77dff0-403f-4d37-a34d-09c513feacd3Post:93e6173f-0419-4f92-9917-ce9510b4ad5c">Re: Avoiding line-ups at food stations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with lynda that you don't need to worry about it.  People aren't going to all be hungry for food at once, like when you have a buffet for entrees.  With the indivdually-portioned items, people will move through pretty quickly, so even if multiple people are there at once, it will be grab-and-go.  You also have a lot of places where people will be able to get food--multiple stations plus the individual tables--so I really don't think it will be a problem.  
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

<div>This is exactly what I've been thinking, as well. Thanks for the confirmation :)</div>
  • I agree that if it isn't the main meal it likely won't get hit all at once. We had stations at our wedding and made the stations accessable from all sides instead of pushed up against a wall when we could. This allowed for more people to access the food at the same time.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_avoiding-line-ups-at-food-stations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:eb77dff0-403f-4d37-a34d-09c513feacd3Post:57b134b4-9d5c-406e-b01d-e4625bbfd7ca">Re: Avoiding line-ups at food stations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree that if it isn't the main meal it likely won't get hit all at once. We had stations at our wedding and made the stations accessable from all sides instead of pushed up against a wall when we could. This allowed for more people to access the food at the same time.
    Posted by LauraChristin[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Ohhh I like that idea! I think the venue was planning on pushing it against the wall, but I'd like it to be more accessible and more visible. Maybe we should put it near the bar? </div><div>
    </div><div>We have a huuuuuuuuuuge round bar that's accessible from almost all sides of the circle on one end of the room, near the dance floor. Maybe I could put the stations as large tables on either side of the bar, that way people dancing and going to get drinks can all see the food. And that's where the doors in/out are, as well.</div><div>
    </div><div>You just gave me a great idea, thanks so much!</div>
  • I'm glad!! You're welcome :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards