Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

What are your first songs?

I am just curious what everyone is doing for their first songs: couple, mother/son, father/daughter. 

I have a huge list going I am trying to pull from for our couple dance.  Not easy to narrow it down.

I have the one for my father/daughter dance.  "Time in a Bottle," by Jim Croce was one of my parents' wedding songs, and it is beautiful and sweet, but it works for father daughter too since it is about wanting to spend every day together not strictly romantic. 

Anyone doing a longest married dance?  Any suggestions for that?

Re: What are your first songs?

• edited December 2011
    I was thinking of doing a "longest married" dance...I kind of like Could I Have This Dance by Anne Murray.  It's an older country song, but not too twangy and very sweet ("Could I have this dance for the rest of my life?  Would you be my partner every night?...")  For our first dance I like Feels Like Home by Chantal Kreviazuk.  Father/daughter I'm still debating because I think I might make it more of a father/daughter and mother-in-law/son-in-law dance.

I like Time in a Bottle.  A friend used Landslide by Fleetwood Mac as her father/daughter song and it worked out well, too.

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • edited December 2011
    We haven't decided on most of our big songs yet, but I think we will do a longest married dance.  We are going to use our parents' first dance songs (or parts of each).  Actually, my parent's song was Time in a Bottle!   I don't know about FI's parents yet...  I also think we are going to combine the father/daughter and mother/son dance in some way.  Maybe my Dad and I will start and they will join.
  • edited December 2011

Still working on it... Love the song Time in a Bottle, never even crossed my mind! We are doing the longest married dance; my DJ suggested it. My FI and I have a daughter so I am sharing my father/daughter dance with him and our daughter(about half way through he will ask her to dance). I'll just keep checking back for more ideas so keep 'em coming!!

• misskarammmisskaramm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are thinking about having "two is better than one" by Boys Like Girls feat. Taylor Swift as our first dance. Its a beautiful duet, it's been our song since we first heard it. My father-daughter dance is going to be "Daughter" by Loudon Wainwright III. Then our cake cutting song is going to be "Lucky" by Jason Mraz. 
  • edited December 2011
    First Dance: Nothing Else Matters by Metallica
    Father-Daughter: Daddy's Hands by Holly Dunn
    Mother-Son: Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd

We aren't doing a longest married dance--that would most likely be FI's grandparents and his gma is fragile..

Oh and I am dancing with my brother to A Friend To Me by Garth Brooks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I just got married March 13th..here's what we did:

First Dance: When You Say Nothing at All by Allison Krauss
    Father-Daughter: Sunrise, Sunset from Fiddler on the Roof (my dad picked this..not what I would have picked...but it turned out nice I guess)
    Mother-Son: an old mexican song no one would know :) (but it was very perfect for her)
  • edited December 2011
    First Dance: "Unforgettable" by Natalie Cole & Nat King Cole
    Father/Daughter: "I Loved Her First" by Heartland
    Mother/Son: "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong
    Stepfather/Daughter: "You Raise Me Up" by Celtic Thunder
  • ltykaltyka member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First Dance - Smile by Uncle Kracker
    Mother/Son & Father/Daughter dance combined - What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong

(EandE - I LOVE Sunrise, Sunset - what a great choice!)
  • lharri12lharri12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We have tentatively picked our first dance song: "Have I Told You Lately" - the Van Morrison version, not the Rod Stewart one.
    Haven't decided on a father/daughter song yet, but I like the idea of "Time In A Bottle," so thanks for that!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • bblouinbblouin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For our first dance we eant  Fools rush in by Elvis Presley.  I have loved that song since I was a little girl for the "father" daughter dance I have no clue.  I am not close to my biological Father he is not giving me away he is actually going to be a groomsman but I told him we could have a first dance.  I don't want anything sentimental or oshy gooshy, I figure we have a good ways to go so if I hear anything between then and now I will figure it out. 
  • edited December 2011
    Our first dance in Jason Marz Colbie Calet "Lucky in love".
     Father daughter dane Phil Collins " My girl"
    and the FI is still working on the dance with his mother.
    We are also going to a family dance to Family Tradition "Hank Williams Jr.

Very excited!
  • edited December 2011
    I am 99% sure our first dance is going to be a Pixie Lott cover of "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon. YouTube it. It is incredible.
  • edited December 2011
    first dance-someone to die for by jimmy gnecco/brian may
    father/daughter-butterfly kisses by bob carlisle
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Our first dance will be "Everything" by Michael Buble. We are doing a longest married dance and it will be "Still The One" by Shania Twain. I'm still undecided on the father/daughter and mother/son dances, but my dad and I will probably dance to "Unforgettable" by Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole.
  • edited December 2011

Our first dance will be to Elton John's "Something About the Way You Look Tonight"

<object width="640" height="385" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tZhetNu_UC4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tZhetNu_UC4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

We are doing an "Anniversary Dance" where the married couples all dance and then 5yrs by 5yrs they all sit down until finally the longest married couple is left dancing. I'm not sure which song we'll be doing for that...I'll have to research that!!!

• millercr621millercr621 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First dance: "Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper (we're both big 80's fans)
    Mother/Son, Father/Daughter combined: "Because You Loved Me" by Celine Dion
  • kndealingkndealing member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Our First Dance song is "First Day of My Life" by Bright Eyes. The first time FI and I hung out one-on-one, he bought the CD this song is on. It's the first CD we listened to together, and the song fits our relationship so well. Before we were officially "together" we both secretly referred to it as our song.  <3

Youtube the video. It makes me cry everytime!

• edited December 2011
    GAH!  It took FOREVER for us to decide a "First Dance" song...I wanted special/unique and FI wanted sappy/romantic...but we stumbled onto one we both agreed to, so YAY!!!   "Sway" by Michael Buble...

I know that's not really a typical song, but that's kinda what I wanted--a sexy, fun dance for the two of us to actually *dance* together (we both have taken ballroom classes)!!

And my dad gave me "my" song when I was like 2 or something, so we're dancing to it:  "Brown-eyed Girl" by Van Morrison :)

Everything else is still up in the air! lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Oh!  And I want to do the "Anniversary Dance" (aka Longest Couple...) with the song "You're Still the One" by whoever it is sings that...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mav44mav44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_first-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:5b42bffb-c1e1-4823-b171-e6484bd71ff5Post:57103b72-7c6f-4317-bfb4-d1055332af4d">Re: What are your first songs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am 99% sure our first dance is going to be a Pixie Lott cover of "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon. YouTube it. It is incredible.
    Posted by AlisonMarie728[/QUOTE]

What a beautiful version! Do you know where I can download this? I checked itunes with no luck.
  • Erin JemiolaErin Jemiola member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our first dance is "At Last" by Etta James
    Father/daughter dance is to "Daughter of Mine" by John McDermott
    Mother/son is still TBD
    Cake cutting is "How Sweet It Is to Be Loved By You", Michael Buble version
    Last dance is "Lovin You Has Never Been Better" by George Jones
    Send-off song is "Come Fly With Me", Michael Buble version
  • edited December 2011
    First dance is "At Last" (Beyonce version), although we are leaning toward changing it to "Then" by Brad Paisley

Anniversary dance will be "Remember When" by Alan Jackson

Father/daughter dance is "I Loved her First" by Heartland.  FI hasnt picked a mother/son dance yet.
  • edited December 2011
    First dance - "We are Man and Wife" by Michelle Featherstone
    Longest Married - "Unchained Melody" by Righteous Brothers
    Father/Daughter - either "Cinderella" by Steven Curtis Chapman or "I Loved her First" by Heartland
    Mother/Son - No clue :) My guy is picking that one.
    BFP #1 6/3/10 | EDD 2/5/11 | Noelle born 1/28/11
    BFP #2 12/20/11 | EDD 8/24/12 | Natural M/C 12/22/11
    BFP #3 5/13/12 (Mother's Day!) | EDD 1/23/13 | Natural M/C 6/9/12 (blighted ovum discovered 6/7/12 at 7w1d)
    "And to think when their little eyes opened, the first thing they saw was the face of Jesus."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Ovulation Chart | My Baby Name List
  • edited December 2011
    We haven't exactly decided on our dance yet.. originally it was going to be "My Best Friend" by Tim McGraw... but its subject to change..

daddy/daughter dance is going to be "I loved her first" i bawl my eyes out every time i hear it.. lol so i'm going to be a mess that day :)

and i like that anniversary dance thing.. we might be doing that as well!.. good luck on picking your songs :)
  • edited December 2011
    first dance: mix of Frankie Vallies "can't take my eyes off of you" mixed withe the Lauryn Hill version

Father Daughter: Edelweiss

Cake Cutting: When I'm 64, Beatles
  • amyalstrumamyalstrum member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aisle walk: "That's All" by Michael Buble
    First Dance: "The Nearness of You" by Norah Jones
    Garter Toss: "The Way I Am" -Ingrid Michaelson
    Cake Cutting: "Better Together" by Jack Johnson
    Mother/Son Dance: "Child of Mine" by Carole King

I'm not close to my dad, so I'm doing a mother/daughter dance to "In My Daughter's Eyes" by Martina McBride (Mom's choice)
  • amyalstrumamyalstrum member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm jealous that "Sway" is your song! I had my HEART set on that song, but the fiance decided that it's too "fast" and he was uncomfortable trying to dance to it.

Wonderful song choice!
  • emuliz17emuliz17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FirstDance : LOVE -Nat King Cole
    Father/Daughter: Stealing Cinderella - Chuck Wicks
    Mother/Son: TBD
    Cake Cutting: TBD
    Bouqet Toss: Single Ladies - Beyonce
    Garter Toss:TBD
  • edited December 2011
    First Dance: probably will be "The Way You Look Tonight" by Frank Sinatra
    Father/Daughter Dance: "You Are the Sunshine of my Life," Stevie Wonder
    Mother/Son Dance: ??
    Cake Cutting: "Grow Old with You," Adam Sandler
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_first-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:5b42bffb-c1e1-4823-b171-e6484bd71ff5Post:c998d06d-b79a-4b73-821d-eb511f127588">Re: What are your first songs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm jealous that "Sway" is your song! I had my HEART set on that song, but the fiance decided that it's too "fast" and he was uncomfortable trying to dance to it. Wonderful song choice!
    Posted by amyalstrum[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  FI and I took foreverrrrr to decide... I'm really happy with it! :D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards