Delaware
Options

Small Budget-- need help!

Looking to get married this August.  Around 80-90 guests, budget of 5k.  I already have a dress and a wedding band.  We thought about eloping, but I already have the dress and I wanted to have pictures with my family.

We were debating a backyard luau themed wedding.  Is that super cheesy?  Obviously I would not be handing out plastic leis.  I was thinking more pig roast, pinapple chicken, etc. some tiki torches in the yard.

My dress is not formal. It's a destination dress, basically white satin ruched all the way down and plain (no beads, pearls, lace, etc. etc.)

Just looking for thoughts, comments, advice, anything!  P.S. when i suggested various options (bbq, eloping, full catering in backyard with less people) my FI jumped on the luau idea...

Re: Small Budget-- need help!

• Options
    wicked_faerywicked_faery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    here's a caterer that might work. http://www.moosengoose.com/wedding-catering.htm it's probably the cheapest u'll find. & they have the pig roast ur looking for. (i havn't used them, only came across in my searching).

or u might try "where pigs fly" in dover.
    ~~~~June 15th 2011~~~~ Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic My Planning Bio - Updated Nov 2nd
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If that is what you and FI really want (wouldn't prefer eloping or a hall/ballroom wedding) then go for it!  I think the luau idea sounds cute as long as you keep the luau theme in the food and overall mood, but stay away from the cheesy leis and plastic pineapple cups.  It sounds very relaxed and intimate.
  • Options
    MAMA41206MAMA41206 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the moose & goose link. they actually have a hawaiian menu which looks good....

This is FI's 2nd wedding and I think I'm having a lot of issues with that.  That's why I don't want to do a traditional wedding, it feels silly and stupid to me.  I feel like I can't do any of the traditions because he's been there done that and it sort of ruins it.  Also,
    I don't want to spend a lot of money or put my parents out for the money.

I know people have 2nd and even 3rd weddings all the time, it's just not how I pictured  it for me. I always pictured I'd be marrying someone who never did it before. ya know??

maybe we will just elope..... lol
  • Options
    Mattsbride10Mattsbride10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think your idea sounds awesome. If you have a big enough backyard and the space to do it...I say Go for it! I"ve been to backyard and barn weddings upstate NY and they have been some of the most relaxed and fun weddings I've ever attended.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The luau theme sounds fun :)  Just remember that sometimes an at-home wedding can be just as expensive as one at a hall if you have to rent a lot of things (tables, chairs, linens, plates, tent, port-o-potty, etc).  If you can borrow these things or find a way to buy them at consignment shops and then sell them later, that will help.  You also have to consider the parking situation in your neighborhood if you're having that many guests.  Just some things to consider, but you can definitely make it happen! :)
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    MAMA41206MAMA41206 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My parents live right next door to their best friends so I was going to put tables and chairs between the 2 yards.  They each have 1/2 acre backing to woods so it's private and pretty big. For tables and chairs and tablecloths its $500.00.

Do you think I'd absolutely need a tent?  I am pretty sure my dad knows a guy (lol) so i could probably get one pretty cheap.  I dont want anything huge, just enough to cover 10 tables.  If it rains we'd be screwed.  Also, my parents have a huge rectangular shaped patio that would be perfect for dancing and I wasn't going to have that covered either.  And the neighbor has a big firepit and we were thinking smores would be really fun. (can we do smores instead of a wedding cake?)

I was gonna do the nicer looking paper plates and napkins and plastic cups so we can just throw everything away when we're done.  I can't imagine spending more than $100 on that (i hope).  For alcohol i was thinking a bin with ice and bottled beer/wine coolers, a keg, wine, and maybe a premade margarita mix or something that can be in a jug.

I was thinking of lighting the yard with Tiki torches, candles, maybe some paper lanters/christmas lights.

These are all preliminary ideas... just need feedback because my FI says "I don't care about details, just make sure there is lots of meat and dessert"  LOL
  • Options
    wicked_faerywicked_faery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    don't let the "he's been married before" thing get u down. just make it special for u. as for a tent...it's always a good idea. just in case. other wise i love the smores idea! & if there's a church near by that u can rent the tables & chairs from, they're usualy really cheap...sometimes even free if u attend their masses.
    ~~~~June 15th 2011~~~~ Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic My Planning Bio - Updated Nov 2nd
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my FMIL uses "where pigs fly" in dover all the time for catered family parties. they always do a really good job and they are super cheap :) i think the luau thing is great idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards