African American Weddings

cupcake wedding cake or traditional-Whats your take on it?

Just curious about what you guys think about the cupcake wedding cake trend. Ive read that it is a bit cheaper, no slicing worries, but am wondering if I should take that route or just stick to the traditional cake?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: cupcake wedding cake or traditional-Whats your take on it?

• edited December 2011
    I guess it depends on the person and the venue. I prefer a cake. I love cake and i wanna do the whole traditional cutting on the cake.  My venue does not charge a cutting fee because it does not have a baker on the premises, thus no competition. So, i get the cake and they cut and serve
    " he's the perfect rhyme to a tight beat." Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    Beware of the pricing of cupcakes because it is not always cheaper.  For nicely decorated cupcakes, you can pay upwards of $5+ per cupcake.  You can do cake for about $4 per slice (not including fondant).

My mom is baking my wedding cake.  I think it will be a square cake with Swiss dots in the whipped cream icing.  Florist is going to decorate the cake with fresh flowers. I like simple cakes in basic flavors.  Complex designs and flavors make cake loose something for me.  
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I guess I'm more traditional.  I want a wedding cake at my wedding.  But, as a guest, I wouldn't hate on a yummy cupcake!
  • wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We wanted cupcakes for all the reasons OP pointed out but then the cost of them was so much higher than a regular cake that we just did a cake. Like $5 a cupcake.

Neither one of us likes cake though so we could have gone without it altogether.

Get some prices of both and see where you end up.  That may help you with your decision.  As far as "cutting" the cake, that's a personal preference, only you can determine if you will feel like you missed out on not doing it.
  • edited December 2011
    I WANT IT ALL!!!!! LOL 

I am having a small two layer cake.  1 layer to cut and 1 layer to eat on the 1 year anniversary.  My center pieces will be different desserts so I will have cupcakes, pie, cobbler, cookies, and candies.  A lot of my family members don't like cake so I wanted to go with items that I knew would be eaten or taken so we didn't have a lot of left overs.   I will have to-go boxes so the guests can take some home since there will be so much.  Plus I will make sure I have a goodie box made up for me and FI for our stay in the honeymoon suit. Laughing 

The way that I am keeping the costs down on this is I am having the wedding cake professionally done.  The desserts on the tables will be make by myself, friends, or relatives.  I know Madea's peach cobbler is going to be way better than store bought.  I have 14 tables and the people I have asked so far were honored that I wanted their "specialty" at my wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    I love the look of a traditional cake. But like simbidi said, i wouldnt mind a nice yummy cupcake as a guest.
    Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing both.  My FI grooms cake is actually a cupcake tower decorated for his alma mater and frat and then we are doing a 4 tier wedding cake. So we got the best of both worlds
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the response ladies! I got a few ideas from you all.

@djscat- I never thought about it, but I guess I could have other cakes available for the guest(my mom is a pro) and just really have the actual wedding cake for the traditional cutting of the cake and the top layer for the one year anniversary for basically me and the fiance! Super idea and cost cutter!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KnaijaQueenKnaijaQueen member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing cupcakes, although I LOVE LOVE cake, I don't care enough about having an extremely nicely decorated cupcake to pay $5/cupcake for it. Therefore, I'll definitely be getting mine from a local grocery store that makes phenomenal cupcakes.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm doing a cupcake stand with a small 2-tier cake on top for us to cut.  I have never had good wedding cake so I was determined to have somehting tasty :-)
    I would go with the baker that has the best "taste" and then see which is cheaper...my bakers cupcakes just happen to be cheaper.  If they are done right, the cupcakes can look just as elegant as a traditional wedding cake.  I got my inspiration below from another knottie...but I say go with the best taste you can get for your $$$.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_cupcake-wedding-cake-traditional-whats?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:736fdd3c-4c50-472e-8a1b-a26716152273Post:bc94473d-c7eb-464b-8be9-014e9f2738ab">Re: cupcake wedding cake or traditional-Whats your take on it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are doing both.  My FI grooms cake is actually a cupcake tower decorated for his alma mater and frat and then we are doing a 4 tier wedding cake. So we got the best of both worlds
    Posted by flasweetheart[/QUOTE]

And this is an awesome idea!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I think it depends on your tastes.  If I could afford it, I would have Camicakes provide cupcakes for my wedding.  They are sooooooo good.
  • edited December 2011
    We are going to do a traditional cake because it comes with the venue but I love cupcakes so for my suprise bridal show I am going to hint to my sister/maid of honor I want cupcakes LOL.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tychandlertychandler member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love cupcakes, but I just like the portions of a cake more. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We're having a traditional cake because a 2-tier one comes with our wedding package. Otherwise, I'd probably prefer cupcakes.

BUT, on our regular cake...I am lobbying for each tier to be a different flavor. I want Key Lime, dammit!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards