New Jersey

I cant meet anyones minimum! GRR

I got engaged in January and have been slowly contacting and visiting venues.  Some places we have looked at are: Olde Mill Inn in Basking Ridge, the Mill in Spring Lake, and the English Manor.  I would like to rant if you are willing to hear me out.  First, I noticed that in many of the venues we have looked at, there are multiple rooms which get booked based upon the number of guests they can accomodate.  I have noticed that usually, the spaces meant to accomodate the lesser number of guests are not even close to being as nice as the larger ballrooms.  I would also like to say that I am disappointed by how high the minimums are for these nicer, larger ballrooms.  At The Mill their minimum for a Friday Night is 120 people, the OMI has an in-season minimum of 150 people.

I did not realize that my guest list of 110 people would be considered "small" and "intimate" and would therefore make me less worthy of a beautiful wedding.  I am just a dollar sign to these places, and I realize that.  Why book my 110 person wedding when there are people out there with 250 person guest lists?  I also realize that if I were open and flexible with my day of week/time of day/time of year, I could get any venue I wanted regardless of my guest list.  I get it, I really do.  But that does not change the fact that I find it extremely unfair that I will have to compromise on my dreams just beacuse I will not bring these places enough money. That is very sad to me. 

Thanks for hearing me out. . . I was hoping that at least one other person would understand my frustration and disappointment

And let me also add, you girls work fast! the woman at the mill was telling me that she already has dates booked for feb and oct of 2014! I had no idea wedding planning was this intense!

Re: I cant meet anyones minimum! GRR

• David's Country Inn min. is 115. The In at Mill Race Pond actually has a max of 100 for indoor, Idk what the min is for outside. Parona has smaller rooms that would work for 110. 

Completely understand your frustration. We ran into issues like that and ended up with David's and a 180+ guest list. I never would have considered 110 an intimate wedding. Take a breather and im sure you will find a perfect place. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm having my wedding at the Ramsey Golf & Country Club and the minimum for us is 50. I think their usual minimum is 65-75?, but i'm not sure. We're expecting about 60-65 guests.

Lake Valhalla Club in Montville also has a lower minimum, which I think is 75.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Amen sister!  I had the same problem... I fell in love with Seasons and wanted the downstairs ball room, but couldn't come close to the minimum.  My compromise?  Have a daytime wedding.  By having it during the day, I am getting the space I want at a much cheaper price.  I know people poo-poo the idea but honestly, it's my damn day!!  I know my best friends and family will have a kickass time no matter if its 2pm or 9pm.

I don't have any suggestions of venues since I really only looked at 4, but hang in there!!  You will find something :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You should look into The Elan in Lodi (Alessandra Room). They have a 50 guest min and it is a very nice room. Good Luck!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_i-cant-meet-anyones-minimum-grr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:654cab1e-08df-4f72-95d0-a146f12d1762Post:56d1aa2d-1113-43d9-84aa-0993036558c4">Re: I cant meet anyones minimum! GRR</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm having my wedding at the Ramsey Golf & Country Club and the minimum for us is 50. I think their usual minimum is 65-75?, but i'm not sure. We're expecting about 60-65 guests. Lake Valhalla Club in Montville also has a lower minimum, which I think is 75.
    Posted by oxlizxo[/QUOTE]

<div>Totally forgot about Ramsey, never got a chance to visit it but it was on our list, looked very pretty!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We had a 100 person minimum for the smaller room at The Graycliff on a Saturday night and it was still beautiful.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_i-cant-meet-anyones-minimum-grr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:654cab1e-08df-4f72-95d0-a146f12d1762Post:56d1aa2d-1113-43d9-84aa-0993036558c4">Re: I cant meet anyones minimum! GRR</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm having my wedding at the Ramsey Golf & Country Club and the minimum for us is 50. I think their usual minimum is 65-75?, but i'm not sure. We're expecting about 60-65 guests. Lake Valhalla Club in Montville also has a lower minimum, which I think is 75.
    Posted by oxlizxo[/QUOTE]

<div>Their usual minimum is 125 for a Saturday night, but it might be lower for a Friday or Sunday.</div>
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
  • NeumzNeumz member
    First Comment
    Thanks guys, I'll keep on looking. Something has to be out there for me.
  • I got married at the Spring Brook Country Club in Morristown. They don't really have a minimum and will work wtih you - Edgar was great. I highly recommend it. We had about 100 guests and had the wedidng on a Saturday night in May.
  • We are getting married at Doolan's Shore Club in Spring Lake. Our minimum is 50 People
  • Try the Ballyowen in Hamburg/Vernon. My Cousin got married there about 4 years ago and he had about 95 guest. It's a very intimate and romantic. The venue overlooks the golf course and if it's a beautiful day they can open all the doors and make the space more open.

http://www.crystalgolfresort.com/WeddingsCatering/Weddings.aspx
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_i-cant-meet-anyones-minimum-grr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:654cab1e-08df-4f72-95d0-a146f12d1762Post:9ac63b55-5b1a-4156-b833-31fe5b69ddbf">Re: I cant meet anyones minimum! GRR</a>:
    [QUOTE]Try <strong>the Ballyowen in Hamburg/Vernon</strong>. My Cousin got married there about 4 years ago and he had about 95 guest. It's a very intimate and romantic. The venue overlooks the golf course and if it's a beautiful day they can open all the doors and make the space more open. <a href="http://www.crystalgolfresort.com/WeddingsCatering/Weddings.aspx" rel="nofollow">http://www.crystalgolfresort.com/WeddingsCatering/Weddings.aspx</a>
    Posted by Kimachado[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I totally agree with this. Its very nice and their max is actually very low which is why we had to nix it. Good luck!!

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The minimum at The Tides (downstairs room) was 100 people when we booked it.
  • JanxoJanxo member
    First Comment First Anniversary

Very frustrating!  FI and I are having the same problem, who knew 110 guests is small?  We have looked at Stone House & Liberty House and are looking at Maritime Parc this weekend.  All these venues can accommodate smaller wedding.  Stone House has a dedicated space you can rent, defiantly look into them.

• I don't know what area you're looking for, buy I'm using The Empire Club and my minimum is 80 for a Saturday in April.
  • Also OP - did you look at the grain house at the olde mill in?  I'm pretty sure that it's a smaller room on the property.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
  • Have you checked out the Seasons in Washington Township? Their grand ballroom has a minimum of 175, but their upstairs room, which is really nice must have a minimum around the amount that you have. Plus, the upstairs room has a seperate room for cocktail hour just like the downstairs does. I think it's worth a look, plus for the what they give you the price is excellent.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_i-cant-meet-anyones-minimum-grr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:654cab1e-08df-4f72-95d0-a146f12d1762Post:813d7a9d-b22f-4f37-b8ec-8bba0e52a6f9">I cant meet anyones minimum! GRR</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got engaged in January and have been slowly contacting and visiting venues.  Some places we have looked at are: Olde Mill Inn in Basking Ridge, the Mill in Spring Lake, and the English Manor.  I would like to rant if you are willing to hear me out.  First, I noticed that in many of the venues we have looked at, there are multiple rooms which get booked based upon the number of guests they can accomodate.  I have noticed that usually, the spaces meant to accomodate the lesser number of guests are not even close to being as nice as the larger ballrooms.  I would also like to say that I am disappointed by how high the minimums are for these nicer, larger ballrooms.  At The Mill their minimum for a Friday Night is 120 people, the OMI has an in-season minimum of 150 people.  I did not realize that my guest list of 110 people would be considered "small" and "intimate" and would therefore make me less worthy of a beautiful wedding.  I am just a dollar sign to these places, and I realize that.  Why book my 110 person wedding when there are people out there with 250 person guest lists?  I also realize that if I were open and flexible with my day of week/time of day/time of year, I could get any venue I wanted regardless of my guest list.  I get it, I really do.  But that does not change the fact that I find it extremely unfair that I will have to compromise on my dreams just beacuse I will not bring these places enough money. That is very sad to me.  Thanks for hearing me out. . . I was hoping that at least one other person would understand my frustration and disappointment And let me also add, you girls work fast! the woman at the mill was telling me that she already has dates booked for feb and oct of 2014! I had no idea wedding planning was this intense!
    Posted by Neumz[/QUOTE]

I experienced this same frustration when I was looking.  It feels terrible when you look at a venue, see the grand room and hear a miinimum that you know you can't reach.  I settled on a location, the larger ballroom, and i'm STILL have minimum issues...I didn't think my wedding of 130 was small, but apparently for this place it is
    How I unwind? The FI and I watch old TV shows Photobucket 187image 124image 48image 15image RSVP Date March 31 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_i-cant-meet-anyones-minimum-grr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:654cab1e-08df-4f72-95d0-a146f12d1762Post:ff527438-363d-4cbf-9a83-cf3d56086823">Re: I cant meet anyones minimum! GRR</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also OP - did you look at the grain house at the olde mill in?  I'm pretty sure that it's a smaller room on the property.
    Posted by kristen8040[/QUOTE]

I was going to suggest this also.  It's definitely a smaller and more intimate space, the Hunt Room and Pub (which has a lot of character) can accommodate up to 120.  I don't know what their minimum is, but something to consider.

Also I recommend my venue, Ravello's in East Hanover.  They do one wedding at a time, so you get the entire place to yourself, but my minimum for a Friday night in November was only 100 people.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• <div>Hi-I read you got married at Spring Brook and wanted to know if you had ceremony on site? Let me know, Thanks!</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_i-cant-meet-anyones-minimum-grr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:654cab1e-08df-4f72-95d0-a146f12d1762Post:bb6cb3b6-39b4-4095-845c-85d35685afe9">Re: I cant meet anyones minimum! GRR</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got married at the Spring Brook Country Club in Morristown. They don't really have a minimum and will work wtih you - Edgar was great. I highly recommend it. We had about 100 guests and had the wedidng on a Saturday night in May.
    Posted by smidgen148[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards