Wedding Etiquette Forum

mention divorced dad on invitation, he is not hosting only giving away bride

so - my stepdad is a bit of a flake when it comes to parenting and has not been at my sister's high school, college or MBA graduation (his daughter, my half sis). She is getting married now and wants him to give her away. Fine. But now she wants his name on the invitation and so does my mom who is footing 100% of the bill and who has gotten zero help for my sis since the day they divorced. I don't get it, he is doing absolutely nothing except showing up for the ceremony and both my sis and mom acknowledge that there should be a back up plan in case he flakes and doesn't show (given his track record with all of the other momentus occasions in my sister's life that he's missed). Why would they risk having his name on the invitations?!?! is there any way to avoid this? any way to mention him in the most casual of ways so that everyone knows that my mother raised us on her own and he is just a warm body that may or may not be there for the wedding? I'm at a loss. My mother never remarried and still has my step dad's last name so putting them together on the invitation just gives the illusion of togetherness which could not be further from the truth. Thank you in advance for any help!

Re: mention divorced dad on invitation, he is not hosting only giving away bride

• If your sister wants his name on the invitation then there is nothing YOU can do.  It is her wedding, not yours. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mention-divorced-dad-invitation-not-hosting-only-giving-away-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6e7656f2-3a27-4820-a02a-3fc7310971eaPost:eb0a6b6d-ff4b-4aba-b9b1-1555fccca59d">mention divorced dad on invitation, he is not hosting only giving away bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]so - my stepdad is a bit of a flake when it comes to parenting and has not been at my sister's high school, college or MBA graduation (his daughter, my half sis). She is getting married now and wants him to give her away. Fine. But now she wants his name on the invitation and so does my mom who is footing 100% of the bill and who has gotten zero help for my sis since the day they divorced. I don't get it, he is doing absolutely nothing except showing up for the ceremony and both my sis and mom acknowledge that there should be a back up plan in case he flakes and doesn't show (given his track record with all of the other momentus occasions in my sister's life that he's missed). Why would they risk having his name on the invitations?!?! is there any way to avoid this? any way to mention him in the most casual of ways so that everyone knows that my mother raised us on her own and he is just a warm body that may or may not be there for the wedding? I'm at a loss. My mother never remarried and still has my step dad's last name so putting them together on the invitation just gives the illusion of togetherness which could not be further from the truth. Thank you in advance for any help!
    Posted by gpgdesign[/QUOTE]

"together with their families" would be a fix but really, this isn't your wedding so it's not really your business what your sister puts on the invite.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mention-divorced-dad-invitation-not-hosting-only-giving-away-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6e7656f2-3a27-4820-a02a-3fc7310971eaPost:b756ed92-2776-4caf-9aab-b2cebed999e9">Re: mention divorced dad on invitation, he is not hosting only giving away bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]If your sister wants his name on the invitation then there is nothing YOU can do.  It is her wedding, not yours. 
    Posted by brilibby4[/QUOTE]

This.

***raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways***
    oh noes, sweetpea UPDATED her planning bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mention-divorced-dad-invitation-not-hosting-only-giving-away-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6e7656f2-3a27-4820-a02a-3fc7310971eaPost:eb0a6b6d-ff4b-4aba-b9b1-1555fccca59d">mention divorced dad on invitation, he is not hosting only giving away bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]But now she wants his name on the invitation and so does my mom who is footing 100% of the bill and who has gotten zero help for my sis since the day they divorced. 
    Posted by gpgdesign[/QUOTE]

<div>It's your sister's wedding and your mom is paying - if they're in agreement, let it be.</div>
  • Your sister and your mom both want this, let it go. It's not your problem. You hate him, but clearly he is important to your sister, and since this is her wedding, it's definitely not your place to say/do anything about it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mention-divorced-dad-invitation-not-hosting-only-giving-away-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6e7656f2-3a27-4820-a02a-3fc7310971eaPost:93e4410f-6077-4a37-a497-5b7c691cc7d2">Re: mention divorced dad on invitation, he is not hosting only giving away bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to mention divorced dad on invitation, he is not hosting only giving away bride : "together with their families" would be a fix but really, this isn't your wedding so it's not really your business what your sister puts on the invite.
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

I agree. There's not much you can do, unless your sister is conflicted about it and is turning to you for help. Honestly, if you are her MOH and you're really best friends (like I am with my sister), you can mention to her that she might want to say "together with their families" or something like that, but you have to bring it up gently and without judgment.

I was my sister's MOH, and I addressed a few things I thought might bother her later (like not inviting our dad to the wedding), but if she wasn't receptive, I just said something like, "okay, totally your call and I don't blame you. Just wanted to bring it up." My dad flaked on her high school graduation, so she didn't invite him to her college graduation or her wedding. I told her that whatever she felt was right was right. She is doing the same now that I'm planning, and it's been helpful to have honest input from someone who really supports whatever I choose.

If you're not that close to her, leave it alone. Don't bring it up. Be there to cheer her up if he flakes out again. Just IMHO.
  • Thanks for all the input - I agree it's not my wedding or my choice I was just wondering if there was a way to go about it peacefully - whatever they decide to do is fine by me... and just to clarify - I do not "hate" my stepdad, quite the contrary, he is a nice person just not a great father figure. And I will be there to pick up the pieces if he doesn't show up. Just was hoping to avoid that pain that will just be compounded by 200 gorgeous printed pieces of paper with his name on them. All the best to you and yours!  :)
  • She's an adult who is old enough to get married.  She can deal with her own wedding plans.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards