New York-New York City

yikes..officiant not registered with NYC??

just got a phone call from the Marriage Bureau and it seems they "can't find" our officiant in their database. the officiant we had the contract with wound up having to get a friend to sub in for her, and maybe she didn't think about whether he was licensed in NYC. he came in from NJ for our Brooklyn wedding. clearly i should have thought about this as well and i'm kicking myself about it. the bureau is apparently sending us a letter telling us taht he needs to register but he didnt' really want to tell me over the phone if that means our wedding is invalidated....

i have already emailed the officiant and asked him to call the bureau because they don't have him as registered. feeling a bit freaked out--does anyone know whether we will have to go get married again at City Hall? thanks!

Re: yikes..officiant not registered with NYC??

• edited December 2011
    That REALLY sucks.  SO sorry to hear it.  BUT, the process for getting hitched at City Hall is cheap and quick, if you do have to do that... I'd expect a refund from the officiant, though!!
  • lisalou402lisalou402 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto on the refund.  That officiant should have told you the deal.
  • edited December 2011
    update: the officiant is registered and sent me a scan of his license which shows the number clearly. now i have to get back in touch with the marriage buearu and find out what the heck the problem is!
  • edited December 2011
    No doubt, just a little example of awesome NYC city government in action... If you're a lawyer & deal with the NY courts, you've experienced a lot of similar joy... Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    so it turns out that the marriage bureau recently updated their database...which messed up the registration numbers for a ton of officiants, including ours. oy. all is fixed for us now--what a relief!
  • crys-cryscrys-crys member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also going to google this but was it easy for him to get registered? Our officiant is coming in from Texas (he's a friend) and I have to find out how he can get registered!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards