Georgia-Atlanta
Options

Disappointed (Just a vent) LONG

My wedding is in May, when I asked my bridesmaids, I asked two of my best friends, my sister, and my cousin who will be 16 at the time of the wedding. I talked with her mom about it and she thanked me profusely for including my cousin. The first time we went brides maid dress shopping she called to say she had to attend volleyball camp and if she wasn't there she wouldn't be allowed to play, it was still early in planning so I said that was fine. In December we made plans again to look at Bridesmaids dresses, well one of my bridesmaid's nephews was really sick so I understood completely that she couldn't come. I asked my cousin and she said she had a chorus rehearsel that day but would try, well we were going to Macon because that's close to where my sister lives, my MOH and I were the only ones who ended up going.

When I got back from Macon I found out from my grandmother that my cousin didn't want to go because her mom wasn't going to be going, my feelings were hurt. I was sorry she didn't feel comfortable enough with me to go.

Fast forward a couple weeks, I let my aunt know we would be going Saturday, Feb 4 to get the other bridesmaids dress and if my cousin and her could come that would be great. She said that sounded great, well a couple weeks ago I asked if we were still on and she said that my cousin had a rehearsel for a couple hours, so I said that was fine just let me know when she's done and we will work around her schedule as the other BM and I were free all day.

This past Sunday I called my aunt and my cousin and got no answer, I left a message asking what time would be good for them. Neither of them called back, Sunday night my grandmother called me, she told me that my aunt had told her they wouldn't be going Saturday and that most likely they will not even be at the wedding because my cousin is in a Spring Musical that night. My grandmother told her, "But that's Mari and Wesley's wedding day." and my aunt said, "Well sorry it's cousins's big night as well."

I am happy for my cousin, but the spring musical goes on all week, the last night just happens to be on our wedding day. Since our wedding is at 5 and the musical starts at 8 my grandmother asked if they could at least come to the ceremony but my aunt said no probably not.

My cousin was also supposed to sing at the wedding, now we will just play that song as our first dance. I'm not upset about that or even the uneven sides, I just wanted them to be there, we've always been a very close family.

Sorry it ended up being so long :(

Re: Disappointed (Just a vent) LONG

• Options
    I'm sorry. That is a huge letdown. Just remember that she is only 16. She probably just doesn't understand how important it is to you. Try not to let it get you too down.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_disappointed-just-vent-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:263403b9-febf-4adc-a85f-d95f8e6028dcPost:42b6933a-7c43-4df2-a2d4-28977282e6ef">Re: Disappointed (Just a vent) LONG</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry. That is a huge letdown. Just remember that she is only 16. She probably just doesn't understand how important it is to you. Try not to let it get you too down.
    Posted by nyc1210[/QUOTE]

Thanks, i'm trying not too. At the end of the day all that really matters is me and FI starting our lives together.
  • Options
    em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    Oh wow yeah I'd be hurt as well! It definitely stinks all around. Where is your cousin's school in relation to your ceremony? She may have to be there early for warm up/rehearsal. 

I just wonder, are you and your cousin really that close? It doesn't sound like it from your post, as it seems like you were doing a lot of talking through her mother and your grandmother rather than actually talking to her. However, that could just be me assuming or the fact that I'm going off of a limited amount of details from your post. It just sort of seems like she might have been uncomfortable being a BM from the start and didn't want to upset you or her mom by saying anything. Idk. 

Assuming she is close to you and the above is not the case, think how she feels too though: attend her cousin's wedding or her spring musical, which could be her dream, especially if she has a lead role or something. I bet she feels very torn. 

ETA: Even still, I believe in committing to what you said you'd do, so if I was your aunt, I'd be reminding your cousin that she agreed to be a BM and agreed to sing in your wedding as well. You're 3 months out, not a year away, so this really could have upset your plans. 

Now, if I'd been you, and she'd come talked to me about it maturely and said, "Cousin, I have this once in a lifetime chance to have a lead role in our musical and I'd really like to do it. Can you forgive me?"--- then that's different and I personally would have said of course. I'm most irritated at how your cousin AND your aunt have handled this, almost avoiding you rather than being up front about it. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_disappointed-just-vent-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:263403b9-febf-4adc-a85f-d95f8e6028dcPost:2736f2a1-b548-4171-b038-d8807b85f34b">Re: Disappointed (Just a vent) LONG</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh wow yeah I'd be hurt as well! It definitely stinks all around. Where is your cousin's school in relation to your ceremony? She may have to be there early for warm up/rehearsal.  I just wonder, are you and your cousin really that close? It doesn't sound like it from your post, as it seems like you were doing a lot of talking through her mother and your grandmother rather than actually talking to her. However, that could just be me assuming or the fact that I'm going off of a limited amount of details from your post. It just sort of seems like she might have been uncomfortable being a BM from the start and didn't want to upset you or her mom by saying anything. Idk.  Assuming she is close to you and the above is not the case, think how she feels too though: attend her cousin's wedding or her spring musical, which could be her dream, especially if she has a lead role or something. I bet she feels very torn.  ETA: Even still, I believe in committing to what you said you'd do, so if I was your aunt, I'd be reminding your cousin that she agreed to be a BM and agreed to sing in your wedding as well. You're 3 months out, not a year away, so this really could have upset your plans.  Now, if I'd been you, and she'd come talked to me about it maturely and said, "Cousin, I have this once in a lifetime chance to have a lead role in our musical and I'd really like to do it. Can you forgive me?"--- then that's different and I personally would have said of course. I'm most irritated at how your cousin AND your aunt have handled this, almost avoiding you rather than being up front about it. 
    Posted by em01092[/QUOTE]

Are ceremony and reception are about 15 or so minutes from her school. I thought she and I were close, while there is a 10 year age difference I have always felt comfortable talking to her and such. When I asked her if she'd like to be one she was all excited about it and said she would love too. Then it seems like it changed the closer we got and somehow she started avoiding me (which I didn't notice at the time) and then I ended up telling her mom. I agree I am so upset they are avoiding me about this, if she had come to me and told me I would've been like, "Go for it." And I would've been so excited for her.

Looking back she might've been uncomfortable, but I never saw it. I think what hurts the most is the lying and now they're avoiding me. We are such a close knit family as well.
  • Options
    I'm sorry Mari. =( *hugs*
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_disappointed-just-vent-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:263403b9-febf-4adc-a85f-d95f8e6028dcPost:c057ecb0-06fd-4f1b-b916-127adecc4341">Re: Disappointed (Just a vent) LONG</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry Mari. =( *hugs*
    Posted by em01092[/QUOTE]

Thanks, in the end it'll be okay all that really matters is marrying Wesley.
  • Options
    TBH - If that was my kid I'd say "You agreed to do this, you need to do it. If you really want to do the musical so badly, then you need to call your cousin and bow out." instead of just showing her the childish and irresponsible way of doing it. I'd be super POed.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_disappointed-just-vent-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:263403b9-febf-4adc-a85f-d95f8e6028dcPost:e7b83630-ee07-4350-be8a-fd1aa8a2135e">Re: Disappointed (Just a vent) LONG</a>:
    [QUOTE]TBH - If that was my kid I'd say "You agreed to do this, you need to do it. If you really want to do the musical so badly, then you need to call your cousin and bow out." instead of just showing her the childish and irresponsible way of doing it. I'd be super POed.
    Posted by pokepoke27[/QUOTE]

Yeah my mom would've told me I had made a committment and would be sticking with it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_disappointed-just-vent-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:263403b9-febf-4adc-a85f-d95f8e6028dcPost:e7b83630-ee07-4350-be8a-fd1aa8a2135e">Re: Disappointed (Just a vent) LONG</a>:
    [QUOTE]TBH - If that was my kid I'd say "You agreed to do this, you need to do it. If you really want to do the musical so badly, then you need to call your cousin and bow out." instead of just showing her the childish and irresponsible way of doing it. I'd be super POed.
    Posted by pokepoke27[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto. 100%. </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards