California-San Diego

Private Estate wedding venue help

Hello,
My fiancé and I are interested in renting a private estate for a San Diego wedding. We plan on having a small wedding and reception, about 40 people. We hope to stay under $7000 for our budget. I was thinking that renting an estate for around $1000-$1500 and bringing in all my own vendors could save money but am not sure if this is the case. We are just starting the planning process. Has anyone else done this? or does anyone have any location suggestions? Thank you.

Re: Private Estate wedding venue help

• Hi! Have you gotten any quotes yet? My FI and I were interested in having a private estate wedding... then we started getting quotes and realized that it wasn't gonna happen. Most of the quotes we received were $3,500 and up (with the majority being over $10,000) - and this is just to rent the space for a day! :( 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  •  I had the same experience with the private estate search! The only real way to make this work is if you know the owner of the estate. There is a company called Estate Weddings & Events, and they all sound OK, but when you add in all the insurance, vallets and extras that they require it ends up being like $20,000!! Just for the venue rental!! I really liked Levyland Estate, but it was too small for my wedding and once you start adding in vendors, it'll exceed your budget. The cool thing is that you're renting the whole house for the whole week and it's ON the beach (short walk to the water). Honestly, private estates sound super cool but the restrictions attached are much more of a headache. Most of them have insane noise restrictions that will probably change your mind alone. I am sorry to sound so negative, I just spent (wasted) A TON of time trying to find one and don't want that to happen to you!

If I were you I'd look into some of the beachside community centers, there's in Solana Beach and Del Mar that I know of, but I'm sure every city has one! Your small guest count is definitely a good thing! Good luck!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  •  I had the same experience with the private estate search! The only real way to make this work is if you know the owner of the estate. There is a company called Estate Weddings & Events, and they all sound OK, but when you add in all the insurance, vallets and extras that they require it ends up being like $20,000!! Just for the venue rental!! I really liked Levyland Estate, but it was too small for my wedding and once you start adding in vendors, it'll exceed your budget. The cool thing is that you're renting the whole house for the whole week and it's ON the beach (short walk to the water). Honestly, private estates sound super cool but the restrictions attached are much more of a headache. Most of them have insane noise restrictions that will probably change your mind alone. I am sorry to sound so negative, I just spent (wasted) A TON of time trying to find one and don't want that to happen to you!

If I were you I'd look into some of the beachside community centers, there's in Solana Beach and Del Mar that I know of, but I'm sure every city has one! Your small guest count is definitely a good thing! Good luck!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for all the tips and advice! This will save me time and effort.
  • Check Los Willows. You can't bring in your own vendors but a lot is included so you don't need to. Plus, you don't have to deal with the stress of coordinating everything because it comes with a wedding planner.

My wedding is next fall at Los Willows so I haven't used them yet but I'm very excited. My wedding is about the same size as yours and I think it all came to $7,000-$8,000. That includes the venue and all set up for the ceremony and reception, decor, wedding planner, cake, catering for up to 50 people, ceremony music... I can't think what else. It's worth checking out.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_private-estate-wedding-venue-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:64Discussion:f8f099ad-18e1-4af4-a52f-b0ede16211cbPost:0a5e4066-c2ce-49ed-8861-88140185e033">Private Estate wedding venue help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello, My fiancé and I are interested in renting a private estate for a San Diego wedding. We plan on having a small wedding and reception, about 40 people. We hope to stay under $7000 for our budget. I was thinking that renting an estate for around $1000-$1500 and bringing in all my own vendors could save money but am not sure if this is the case. We are just starting the planning process. Has anyone else done this? or does anyone have any location suggestions? Thank you.
    Posted by kellymac9889[/QUOTE]

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards