North Carolina-Outer Banks

Aquarium Wedding and Reception

I'm fairly new to NC and have chosen to get married at one of the aquariums here!  Advice on which one?  There are 3, and I have yet to visit any of them in person, I have only seen pictures and looked through their booth at the wedding shows.  Any reccomendations or advice would be greatly appreciated!  Since I'm from the Raleigh area, I don't know much about what the outerbanks has to offer.  I could also use any ideas on other great/affordable vendors, like cakes, flowers, etc.

Thanks ladies!!!

Re: Aquarium Wedding and Reception

• edited December 2011

We considered the Roanoke one.  The woman there couldn't have been more helpful, and I think it would have been awesome to have a reception by the shark tank.  She also emailed me tons of pictures and paperwork ahead of my visit so I could see what other brides had done.  We ended up going with The Pearl only because I really wanted to get married on a beach with sand, but the aquarium was soundside on grass.

I'm not familiar with the other two aquariums.

For flowers, we met with Sugar Snap and The Embellishers.  The Embellishers had great prices, but we didn't have the same vision for our wedding.  I went with the pricier Sugar Snap because we clicked so well.

We also splurged on photography and went with Mike and Allie Hawkins (Island Photography). Love them!!

I can't wait to see how your plans unfold... congrats!

06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • edited December 2011

I work for Montero's Restuarant and I have catered a wedding reception at the one in Manteo and it was the best reception I have ever seen. They had the dance floor right in front of the shark tank. They had the main buffet down the hall with the smaller tanks, and all the kids stayed by the touch tanks. They had 3 bars to start off with, one in the lobby, one in the atruim with the otters and alligators, and then one by the dance floor. Her reception really turned out beautiful! No person was bored! And she has started her own company with another friend called Celebrations. It is located in Elizabeth City, NC and she does really good work so look her up if you need any ideas for your reception!

• obxbride17obxbride17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having our reception at the Pine Knoll Shores aquarium and I'm so excited! The people there have been absolutely wonderful to work with and everyone I've met that has ever been to an aquarium reception said it was unbelievable. We are getting married on the beach down the street and will use the aquarium also as a back-up plan in case of bad weather.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards