Wedding Party
Options

Gift Idea for Non Traditional Mom

I am having a whale of a time trying to figure out a gift for my mom. She is not the traditional type of mom - for example, she doesn't like keepsake, sentimental types of things, keeps her pictures in boxes, not albums or frames. I think about what I get her for Christmas, Birthdays, etc, but she only ever wants SUPER practical things (she routinely asks for things like oven mitts that are worn out. its a big family joke that the next thing she'll ask for is something like a car battery, haha)

I was thinking maybe a pretty set of plates for her wall plate hanging thing, or perfume, or new wallet...

What are you all planning to get for your moms for a thank you for the financial/emotional/planning support?

Re: Gift Idea for Non Traditional Mom

• Options

My mom is not at all girly, but I got her a necklace I thought she'd like and she wore it to the wedding.

She and my dad were especially helpful and supportive during our engagement, so I also got them tickets to the James Taylor/Carole King concert in our area. They went on Friday night and when I talked to them afterward they said it was an amazing show and they were so appreciative of the tickets.

Get her whatever you think she may appreciate. Even if that means replacing her car battery, and maybe taking her car for a wash and a vaccum and an oil change on top of that. Heck, I'd be mighty appreciative if someone did all of that for me, because it's practical and necessary and it's one less thing I have to spend my time or money on.

• Options
    I'm getting my mom the Pandora wedding cake charm for her bracelet.  

But I feel for you, I am having the same problem coming up with a gift for my FMIL.  She likes books and wine and practical clothing.  At holiday time, she pretty much buys what she wants and we all pick gifts, wrap them, and owe her the money.  Not an easy one to shop for!
    Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    Get her something practical.  I prefer practical gifts, it save me money and it means my friends and family aren't getting me something I might not use or wouldn't want otherwise.
  • Options
    I got my mom and stepdad a gift certificate to their favorite hotel.  It's not enough to cover a full night's stay, but it's enough to upgrade them to a nicer room or to have a nice dinner at the restaurant there. 
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards