Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Lakewood Theatre for Reception?

Looking for an Art Deco-era reception site in Dallas and the Lakewood Theatre made the short list....and I remembered seeing a knottie whose wedding is going to be there...hopefully she will see this and help me out! 

I have yet to set up an appt to go see it yet, but just wondering how the set-up is for a reception.  We want to have a band, a buffet dinner, cocktails, a photo booth, etc - is there room for that in the main theatre or do they have other party rooms in there?  Are the theatre seats able to move or are they stationary?

Also, so excited we can bring in our own caterer (because I fell in love with Beyond the Box's menu), but how much is open bar (wine/ beer/ liquor) through the Theatre?  Is it per person/ per hour  or by the drink?

One last question- do they have tables/chairs for use or will I need to rent my own? That is the expensive kicker at so many awesome venues- $3,000 for rentals!!

Thank you soooo much!!

Re: Lakewood Theatre for Reception?

• Options
    BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's me! :)

There are no party rooms in there, but there is plenty of room for what you want to do. The bar is in the lobby, which is where we plan on doing cocktails (if there's enough room out there for everyone, I'm not sure yet). There is space for a buffet behind the theater seats where there is a hallway/aisle type space. There would also probably be room for a photobooth back there, or possibly in the space in between the stage and the seats. There's also a landing upstairs where the balcony is, I think that's where our photographer's mobile studio may be. We are planning on having the dancing on the stage, but if you're going to have a band up there, there's plenty of room for dancing in front of the stage.  

The bar is only by the drink, but their prices seem to be reasonable, from $4 to $7. You can either leave it open the whole night, or cap the bar tab at a certain amount. We're planning one drink per person per hour at $6 to get our bar tab. Once it reaches that amount, they'll let my dad know and he can either decide to keep it open and pay more, or go to cash.

The seats in the theater are stationary, but the tables fit over every other row so it ends up like a movie tavern-type set up.  They have linens for rent or you can bring in your own.

The fee includes: rental for the entire day (so you can come in as early as you want), sound and lighting technicians, led tealights, tables over the seats, other tables for buffet, cake etc. (I'm not sure how many they have), set up of the tables, clean up, plastic cups for the bar, stantions and red carpet for the entrance, tables and chairs for an outdoor smoking area. I may have forgotten something, but I think it's a good deal.

It's a unique, fun location, but it's definitely not traditional. However, most of my logistical issues are because I'm doing ceremony there too. Reception only would be easier. Where is your ceremony? What date are you looking at?

I hope this helped, please let me know if you have any other questions!

Here are some pictures from their website so you can see the buffet space and the table set up:

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Im also getting married there!  They have a space upstairs that can be seen from the balcony for a photobooth or favors area.  They suggest that you have the wedding seating upstairs and have the reception downstairs. 

They do have a backstage area to get ready in and the groom adn his party can have the bar area attached to the theater to get ready at if you don't want a first look.

David Tutera just featured this on his show - so you might want to go to We TV to get some more ideas :)
  • Options
    corevacoreva member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey there ladies-

I'm new here and just saw this post. We are doing an old hollywood theme for our wedding and just found out that the Lakewood Theater does weddngs, so needless to see we are beside ourselves! Can it get more perfect than that?

I do have a question though... I saw in the above post what all the rental fee includes, but what is the fee? I want to see how they compare to a few othr places we've looked at.

Have either of you had your weddings yet? If so, how was it?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Im getting married there in November 2011.  The rental for a Friday night was $3100.  They provide tables for the downstairs area that go over the seats -- so reception or ceremony seating would be like dinner-theater style.  The price also includes if you want to do a photo-shoot there for engagements or bridals in addition to staff, red carpet, the tables out front, the use of the theater the whole day (and the bar adjoining it if you need it), the dressing rooms, etc.  Im using it for my wedding ceremony only and the only thing I have to pay for additionally is the linens for the table -- they have black and white and are $6/each or right around there.

Instead of a portrait session, we asked if we could do a rehearsal there and as long as it is not booked, they said that should be fine.  The staff is really, really nice and very accomidating.  The only bad thing as far as I can tell about it is the bathrooms -- only 1-2 stalls per bathroom. But the women's bathroom is really cool looking :)
  • Options
    bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is your 2nd time to reply to this thread!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards