Illinois
Options

Inexpensive Honeymoon Ideas (not Chicago)

We cannot afford a big honeymoon.

We were wondering if there were any inexpensive romantic areas in the IL area? We were considering Galena, IL. It will be snowy at the time we are going on our honeymoon.

If there are any nearby romantic places we can go, that are not very expensive that would be great.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Re: Inexpensive Honeymoon Ideas (not Chicago)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Bride, if you don't mind me asking, what region are you looking at going to? As in, are you looking for something close by where you're located or a longer drive?

And then, what are you looking to do during your honeymoon? Enjoy some sites, or have some lazy days, stay at a B&B, etc.?

That info might help narrow down some nice places to go and that way we might be able to give you some better suggestions.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    bridetobe1985bridetobe1985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just throw some ideas at me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, if you're outdoorsy people, the Shawnee national forest in southern Illinois is beautiful. I'm sure in the winter the trails are just magnificent. Garden of the gods is a favorite place down there. Makanda, IL has lots of shops and artisans, Carbondale, Marion and surrounding areas have healthy bar scenes. You could also go to Springfield. There are plenty of historic sites, local shops, wonderful restaurants (I recommend Caitie Girls, Bella Milano and Incredibly Delicious), as well as nature trails at Lincoln Memorial Gardens. My parents went to Peoria eons ago for their honeymoon and had a great time. I think the possibilities are endless, it's just all in what you want to do with your H on your honeymoon.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Galena is gorgeous! My now FI proposed there. It's where we took our first trip as a couple. It's really special to us. We've been three times. Our favorite b+b is Bernadine's Stillman Inn. Dave and Bernadine are so welcoming and they will definitely make your honeymoon very special! Let me know if you want to know anything else about our stays.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I second Galena for a nice and relaxing honeymoon.  We stayed at The Farmers Guest House for NYE and have no regrets!  #1 ratedB & B on Trip Advisor and very reasonable too!  Great restaurants, cute wine bars and a fun beer brewery.  Do some research...i'm sure you won't be let down!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Starved Rock is is a great idea for a nearby very romantic honeymoon.

Plus, you'll get some stunning pictures because it is beautiful there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards