Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

WOT: Vacation ideas

Ok, so i need either encouragement for this idiotic idea or to be told its stupid, one or the other. DH seems like he would go along with it.

I have been trying to think of somewhere to go this may/june for vacation, and since he is afraid to fly, somewhere driveable. I got into my head that maybe we should just take a cross country trip to Washington and back, and hitting up the Sasquatch music festival while we are there (depending on who is at it.) Now, I have always wanted to take a cross country trip, but I feel like there is something wrong with my idea but don't know what it is. So either talk me into it or out of it. lol. thanks.  I was messing around on google maps trying to find good stopping points and figured one of them could be Mt Rushmore, because I figure we should at least see something worthwhile if we do this.  Also, If you think its a not terrible idea, anything else that we should stop at? Right now the stopping points i have are Pittsburgh to Chicago, Chicago to Mt Rushmore, Mt Rushmore to Gorge, WA (where the festival is.)

sorry for the WOT!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: WOT: Vacation ideas

• LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have always wanted to do an east-west cross country road trip!  I think it sounds awesome and is a good solution for you guys. 

I do think that maybe you should add in one more stopping point- Pittsburgh to Chicago is about 7.5 hours, Chicago to Mount Rushmore is about 15 hours, and then Mount Rushmore to WA is about 16 hours.  That's a lot of loooong driving days.  You'll also be passing through Omaha and close to Yellowstone, so maybe those could be options too?

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    I think its a great idea! 

I would look into random locations too, biggest ball of yarn etc.  It would certainly make for an exciting trip!

I'm not sure if you are familiar with or have ever seen Drivers Diners and Dives on the Food Network, but definitely look up some of the locations that he has been and try to hit them up! 

Keep us posted!  You would certainly see beautiful things, experience different things, and eat good food! 
    Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• reannalynnereannalynne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yellowstone, great idea! Thanks! I am getting more and more excited, and i have a feeling its going to fall through. We shall see though!  *crosses fingers for a good tax refund*
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I keep altering it on google maps trying to get ideas, i think one of our stops will be in the Twin Cities, I have relatives up there that I've only met 4 times in my life and feel like if I am passing even nearby i should stop. Time to go to the diners dives and drive ins site now though!
  • edited December 2011
    DH and I did a cross country road trip when I graduated from college in 2004. It was sooo much fun!

We only went to Montana, since DH grew up there and we were visiting his family.

I am trying to remember our route - I think we drove Pittsburgh to Chicago, Chicago to Minneapolis, Minneapolis to South Dakota, and then SD to Montana.

Some things to check out: Yellowstone, Glacier (if you are up that far), Mt, Rushmore, Devils Tower (Wyoming), and make sure you get to Wall Drug if you drive through South Dakota. (Trust me - you won't miss it, there are 100s of signs along an otherwise completely empty highway!)

I will try to think of other highlights, that is all I can think of for now. We had a great time!

Dave & Jennifer 10.18.08
    My Doha Adventures
  • LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're stopping in the Twin Cities, check out the Mall of America!  Even if you  just go for an hour, it's cool to see- ride the rollercoaster and visit the aquarium :)

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    Sounds like a fun trip to me!  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the Mall of America, and I was definately considering that Since he has never been there. That is the farthest west I have ever been. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!!
  • edited December 2011
    If you want to send me an email I'll get back to you this weekend.  We did a cross country trip this summer and I'll give you some of my experiences.  I imagine Sasquach music festival is in Washington State or Oregon?  We drove to Spokane and then down to the Oregon coast.  We did a ton of driving over two weeks but we made a big loop around the country.  By comparison before our senior year of college we did an 8 day road trip and it was only to Utah and back, but if you pushed I think you could make Wash & Back in 7-8 days...We only got to go through Yellowstone in the dark and it was scary lol.  If I had it to do over again I'd have spent the night in Cody, WY and went to their rodeo. okay, I'm rambing now, but I promise I can get back to you with more info this weekend.  Just use my knot email [email protected] and I'll type something up ASAP

I'm sorry I haven't been on here in forever, I've been really busy at work and the few times I did try to log on the page would not display.  So I haven't abandoned everyone lol, I've missed the chit chat and polls Cry
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! YGM, daveysbaby
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Jamie!  We miss you around here!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • edited December 2011
    Sounds like a great time!  I say go for it.  FI did a cross country trip 10 years ago and still talks about it.  He went from baltimore, to Tennesee, to Texas, then up the coast.  he came back through Montana, Chicago, etc.  Said it was one of the best trips of his life.  Try to find a few more stops, as driving more then 12 hours a day will get tiresome.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards