Iowa-Des Moines
Options

Tension building... of all things, over the MUSIC

My fiance & I have been together for 2 years... we've *never* had a real argument.  We've always been able to step back from tension and try to see things from the other's perspective.  Now, 38 days to go - real tension is building as we try to finalize our reception music selection - of all things! 

He *loves* Metallica.  He has always known I hate it.  It's been a subject of some teasing on & off... but now he's insistant that we use a Metallica song, or an insturmental version of one, for one of the important dances or entrances in our reception.  I really don't want to fight over this.  I'm guessing the day of - I probably won't care too much.  But, at the same time - I really don't think Metallica is wedding-dance appropriate.  So, he wants to use it for our Grand Entrance.  I think it's morose and depressing.  He thinks it's wonderful.  Oy.

Every other song we've agreed on.  Yes, I listen to Indie music and older 90's & 80's punk/alternative.  I haven't pushed any of my favorite bands into the mix.  We found an excellent song for the recessional ("Home" by Edward Sharpe) and together decided on "Question" by the Old 97's for our first dance...  I thought we'd go through all the songs this way.  He's insisting that because we have some indie music picked out, that I'm getting it my way... so he should get his songs.  I agree - he should have songs he likes.  But it sucks that they are songs I hate.

Probably the advice is to get over it.  They're just songs...  But the idea of walking into our reception to Metallica or metal in general is just depressing.

*sigh*  Just venting. 

Re: Tension building... of all things, over the MUSIC

• Options
    I'm sorry that is happening 38 days out does make things stressful. A good compromise would be use Apocalyptica for his Metallica.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei0XIkSK86Q&feature=related

We used it for our sand ceremony, here's the best part No One besides 1 person knew it was Metallica. We did Nothing else Matters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjXFRSuSnh4&feature=related

HTH!! Keep your head up, it'll pass!!
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • Options
    i actually have to 2nd the apocalyptica because they have many many songs of metallica and sound awesome!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We had looked at the Apocolypta versions as well.  I still think they're rather gloomy - but then again, I really am *not* a fan of Metallica.  heh. 

We did end up coming to a happy agreement, where neither of us feels shorted.  We're going to play the Vitamin String Quartet version of Nothing Else Matters while he's seating the parents, then HE gets to "walk up the aisle" with Metallica. 

We're doing Jump, by Van Halen for the reception entrance.  I had no idea music would take so much time!
  • Options
    Yay, I'm glad you came to an agreement! Sounds like a win :)

Music takes a lot out of everyone! I agree, who knew! LOL
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • Options
    I feel your pain... we have been avoiding this one for a while. We have agreed on a few songs like first dance and the song I'm walking up to, but all the other songs we have yet to talk about. I think we have been overall putting this off because we know this is going to be difficult to decide.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    omg Medusia we had the same song for our sand ceremony.  Great minds think alike.  I LOVE that song now even though I wasn't a fan at first.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards