Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

DIY hairstyles for fine/thin hair?

I have really fine wavy hair which is equated to ‘unmanageable.’ However I’m a DIY Bride who is on a budget. I’m not planning on having my hair done professionally.

Does any one have any great DIY hairstyles that work for thin hair (preferably styles that were easy to do by yourself)?

I would also like to hear about your hair accessories.

I’m thinking of using a fancy beaded comb or headband.

Your thoughts please!

And post a pic of your hair too!

Re: DIY hairstyles for fine/thin hair?

• Check out the wedding hair sticky at the top of the page for some ideas.  I used a beaded comb in the back and attached my veil to it.  I have really thin hair also but I used extensions and had mine professionally done.  Had I done my hair myself, I probably would have went with a headband because i'm not sure my hair would have held a comb on its own.
  • I have the same problem... My haidresser told me to try a product called nioxin...it is a shampoo / conditioner . It is normally 40 bucks but ... check hair salons and jc penneys / department stores - I got a gift set for 17.99!!!

It will help strengthen and thicken your hair and promote growth too! so far I can tell my hair is stronger and hope that it will thicken up soon :)

Best of luck!
  • I also have thin hair. During Cristmas I plan on getting a perm (im doing so early so if it looks bad it will grow out). Sally Beauty has some hair clips that just add a little extra. I used them for my prom. I would put up some pics but I don't have any.
    Check it out!
    Julie
  • Hi!
    I too have fine hair and it's impossible to do a lot of poofy, fancy hairstyles for me without having my hair professionally done. I'm still debating whether or not I should have it professionally done for my own wedding in May.
    I know my hair would not support a comb, but they also have very beautiful hair clips with rhinestones, flowers, and whatever else you would want.
    I'm not sure where you shop for accessories but etsy.com is a great place to find hand-made, personalized wedding accessories.
    I am personally going with a vine headband since it's a spring wedding. And nothing too heavy!
    When I do my own hair and am going out, I usually put some mousse in my hair  (a small amount) , blow-dry it, mist it with flexible hold hairspray, then use my professional curling iron to add waves or curls. I sometimes use bobby-pins to pin it half-way up with curls cascading down the back.
    I recommend finding styling products specifically designed for fine hair and testing them out beforehand. I know a lot of beauty salons will let you return the product if you try it and it doesn't work out. (At least Great Clips let me do that when I was trying new products)
    Hope my suggestions helped!

Melissa
  • ps--my hair is wavy as well, and I usually straighten it with the curling iron by just running it through my hair, letting it cool, then do the curling. Otherwise it would be very unruly :)
    I think if you use a straightener and just wear your hair down with a beautiful headband, it would look lovely!
    Here's a link to a favorite shop of mine, a bit pricey, but it shows how elegant the natural look can be dressed up with a cute hair accessory:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/62764902/poppy-best-seller-bridal-crystal-and
  • Oh, the joys of thin hair! Some ideas that might help:

a) Do not use any conditioner in the shower (or two) before the big day. This helps my hair hold styles longer
    b) Find a really good curling iron. I use a Helen of Troy Gold Series (3/4 inch). It works because it heats up to 400 degrees. They cost $20-$30, but mine usually last for a year.

Good luck!
  • My hair is very fine and thin and I have just enough wave in it to P*** me off (sorry to put it so bluntly, but that's how it is!)
    If your hair is short (I have to keep mine short or it won't do a darn thing!) then try putting some product in it (a volume booster works great if you use just enough)while it's still wet and blow dry it.  Remember to blow dry it as close to the style as you want it to be when it's dry (keeping the part where you want it, bangs where you want them, if you want the sides to angle forward dry them that way) and then curl or flat iron your hair when it's dry to finish the style.  Set with a good hairspray.  I find tresseme is good if you want a soft hold but John Frieda is good if you want it to hold no matter what.  I also use a light pomade if I'm curling my hair, it gives the curls definition without the fly away crazy look. 
    For my hair I'm doing a lot of curls and a pretty rhinestone clip in the front to hold the part back.  I was going to do a headband, but they give me headaches so that's a no go.  And I'm not doing a veil because it's my second wedding and I don't really like them.  I hope this helps some...you could also try searching google images for fine hairstyles to see if you can find something you like and then try them out at home when you have time (take pictures and notes if you find something you really like) and don't do anything drastic with your hair right before the wedding!  You'll most likely regret it (as I am with my home perm that I did and ruined my hair with only 4 months to go...thank gawd I've got a great stylist who gave me some great tips and a fabulous cut so my hair feels healthy again...she's a miracle worker!)  Good luck!
  • elspeth - I got a perm and have very fine hair. I love it for the first couple months because of the added body it gave but as it grew out it was really really damaged and I'm still suffering from horrible split ends from the length that was permed. I'll finally be cutting the last inch off sometime next month. Just a warning!
  • hair piece? That is what my now sister in law did and it looked amazing :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • I too have fine hair (it's also really oily!).  One of the things I do when I know I need to have my hair look nice is actually to not wash it the day before.  I know this seems counterintuitive, however if you use a product known as Dry Shampoo, or you can use cornstarch (but be warned that cornstarch especially can give you a bit of a gray look if you have darker hair and don't get it all out) it will thicken your hair drastically.  However, you do really have to brush the powder out of your hair well or you really do have the graying or white look to contend with.  I don't know how that will work with curly hair...mine is poker straight.
    Treseme also makes a product I like to use- it's a root boost item and it definitely does give me hair more lift & make it appear a little thicker.  I also use Pantene Fine Hair shampoo and also their Beautiful Lengths collections (I have very long hair) and they appear to make my hair healthier and appear thicker as well.
    I am also an avid headband wearer...easiest way for me to do my hair and keep  it looking nice.  I'll be doing a headband for my DIY wedding hair.

http://global.weddingchannel.com/tickers/ttc2fbe.aspx
    "It's easy to halve the potato where there's love." - Irish Proverb
  • Extentions are the way to go!!!  You can do it yourself and your hair will look amazing!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    265 image Invited to celebrate!
    209 image Will be attending
    56 image Won't be having any fun
    0 image Can't Find their mailbox

• I have thin hair, I take hair and nail vitamins you can find at GNC. To help get it to its most healthy state, but also I am a fan of having an updo with my thin hair. I bought a hair piece the other day at Ulta its like a hairy scrunchy, but it helps add curl and volume to a simple bun and dress it up more. The girls I work with didn't know it was fake until I told them. Tresemme has a good volumizing mousse, put it on a brush and comb it through your hair and then blow dry it does some amazing work. And its not too expensive. :)
  • try a volumizing shampoo, and products. Depending on how fine your hair is, I would only recommend a root spray (Try AVEDA Volumizing Tonic, $14) Then mist your hair with a light hold hair spray. Then wrap your hair in hot rollers. I got a nice set at Target for $40. While the rollers are in mist your hair again. Take the rollers out, but pay attention not to tug at them, as the curl might start to drop. Mist curls again. Then using a fine tooth comb, backcomb or tease your hair about 2" from the scalp. This will create a cushion for bobby pins and hair accessories.
    I'm a licensed hair stylist let me know if you have any questions.
    http://youtu.be/0SmA1cGocz4?hd=1
    *Janet & Jim* 10~13~12 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just got a brazilian blowout yesterday and the sytlist suggested clip in hair pieces or extensions to make my hair fuller for the day.  She said the synthetic pieces were about 4 or 5 for $20.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards